knots for connecting braided line to leader

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by tunatuna, Feb 6, 2009.

1. tunatuna

tunatuna Senior Member

what is the best knot for braided line to leader. thanks for answering a very newbie question.:eek:

2. d-a

d-a Senior Member

what is the best knot for braided line to leader. thanks for answering a very newbie question.:eek:

The one you have the most confidence in. For some thats an albright, pr, midknot, slim beauty and uni to uni to name a few. All have there plus and minus about them

d-a

3. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Try loop to loop wind on leader with your braid main line. Make loops with 30 turn bimini twist and a single drop of Loctite 406 on the bimini twist. Should get you near 100% connection strength. Using wind on leaders, you can change to smaller line while on the water easily and still be able to pass through rod guides easily.

4. Ricky-Ray

Ricky-Ray Member

Best knot is the one you have the most confidence in tying. But some of the more common ones are usually bimini to albright, uni to uni. I use a uni to uni knot when I do spectra to mono/flouro connection. I have not had a failure with this knot up to 50# line on a properly tied uni to uni.

5. tunatuna

tunatuna Senior Member

forgot to mention that i do very familiar with alberto knot and it serve my surf fishing purpose very well (50lb braid and 80lb leader).

However, In this case, i will be using 80lb braid with 100lb + leader for jigging. tried alberto knot ( i did get it done, but the leader is all kincked and sliced.. very hard to pull to get it small and tight)..

Never get succeeded at mid knot my leader is always pulling out when the knot is finished... Really Need Some help here..

6. rhale

rhale Senior Member

Try loop to loop wind on leader with your braid main line. Make loops with 30 turn bimini twist and a single drop of Loctite 406 on the bimini twist. Should get you near 100% connection strength. Using wind on leaders, you can change to smaller line while on the water easily and still be able to pass through rod guides easily.

This will be your best bet if you dont trust your knots. Albright is an good easy knot to tie.

7. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

On bigger connection I have started using the P.R. knot. Pretty much anything over 60#.... I haven't had any failure yet and the knot works very well for casting and jigging.
    It take a little practice to tie quickly but once you are used to it, its not a big deal.

8. Try a "Stren Knot" to join spectra to leader/topshot it you don't have loop to loop connections. It has worked fairly well for me. Dave Justice of Stren developed it or at least he is the one quoted as developing it. Lots of info on various web sites if you do a google search. Here is a link that shows how to tie. Just tab down the page till you get to it. Angling Adventures chart fishing guide service

Phantom Fisherman

9. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

Some systems of connections produce stronger results than others. However, each has trade-offs so there is no single answer.

The first thing to know is that braided knots, whatever types they are, take more turns. Another key point is that you may want enough mono/fluoro to add some stretch to your overall system. I'd at least have a leader longer than the fish I was targeting. Third, if you fight a fish for a long time, knots that were good start to "fatigue"--like when you bend a paper clip a lot. A split ring/solid ring connection to your jig/lure will reduce the bending at your final knot because it can move in all directions.

One camp of advice likes heavier lines 80/100# and simpler (but weaker) knots. Uni-uni, albright and 3-5 turn Surgeons are typical choices. They get about 2/3 line strength knot performance but they can tie the knots on a boat, when it's cold, in the dark. Because they're using heavier lines they also get better abrasion resistance. But with this approach, you don't get as much line on the reel, you can't cast as far, the knots clunk their way through the guides with every cast, your leader is stiffer, and the heavier line is more costly. But the knots are easier to learn.

Another camp likes mid-weight 60/80# lines and more complex, higher performance knots (Mid, Page Ranking, SIG, Slim Beauty). The benefits are pretty much the opposite of the ones I listed above. And the knots take more practice to tie well and even when you're good, take a little longer.

Lastly, there are the splicers--no knots. Full line strength, perfectly smooth casting, repairable main line, easy change of leader length/strength in seconds.And, never any knot tying on a cold, dark, bobbing boat. However, this system takes time to learn and time to prepare when you're not fishing.

Whatever system suits you, for these big fish, you should become expert at tying things together and test them with an accurate weight or scale until you're certain. If you don't, like many of us (me at least), you will conduct your tests with big fish on the line ... and most of the early tests will be fish-losing failures.

Many people in this forum have conducted tests and offered more detailed opinions than mine. Use the search function, try everything you read about and then make your choices.

10. pametfisher

forgot to mention that i do very familiar with alberto knot and it serve my surf fishing purpose very well (50lb braid and 80lb leader).

However, In this case, i will be using 80lb braid with 100lb + leader for jigging. tried alberto knot ( i did get it done, but the leader is all kincked and sliced.. very hard to pull to get it small and tight)..

Never get succeeded at mid knot my leader is always pulling out when the knot is finished... Really Need Some help here..

Here is a good guide to the Mid Knot. A couple key points: the Half Hitches on the leader have to be very tight; before you pull the knot tight, the "under wraps", the first ones wrapped around the leader, have to be spread out so that there is a space between them (try making the space 1-2 times bigger than the line diameter).

In addition to what I said in the earlier post, because you've mentioned 100# fluoro/mono, stiffness of the line and size of knots becomes more of an issue, splicing is an even better alternative than knotting.

11. Sportfisherman

Sportfisherman Senior Member

MidKnot is my favourite but make sure you don't use the hard leader materials used for trolling , instead use " soft " leader materials .

Here is the better illustration of MidKnot :

Jon .

Attached Files:

12. jig

jig Senior Member

Guys, he said he's a newbie. Worm knot, aka reverse Albright knot, is the one you want. Very easy to tye, small, strong.

13. jig

jig Senior Member

I never could get the mid knot to hold on Flouro. No problem on mono, I guess the flouro is too hard.

14. tunatuna

tunatuna Senior Member

I never could get the mid knot to hold on Flouro. No problem on mono, I guess the flouro is too hard.

is mid knot only good for mono elader not on flouro????

15. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

is mid knot only good for mono elader not on flouro????

the P-R knot and the Midknot work best on "soft" mono leaders. The best examples of these are Jinkai, Varivas and Fisherman. Hard mono like Momoi Diamond and Flourocarbon material don't work well with compression type knots.

And for popping and jigging, those are my 2 favorite knots by far.

16. jig

jig Senior Member

Since I like flouro for popping, that is why I use the worm knot.

17. pametfisher

the P-R knot and the Midknot work best on "soft" mono leaders. The best examples of these are Jinkai, Varivas and Fisherman. Hard mono like Momoi Diamond and Flourocarbon material don't work well with compression type knots.

And for popping and jigging, those are my 2 favorite knots by far.

Just FYI, mono does seem easier, but here is a photo of 80# Seaguar fluoro after a successful Mid Knot.

Attached Files:

18. gman

gman Senior Member

Personally I dont see any need for fluro while popping so using shock leader has a huge benefit because its soft and grips well with knots. Regrading fluro ... the line is being pulled across the surface not deep in water column its in the wash and the fish is attracted to the water being thrown and the popper very similiar to trolling lures.

19. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

Just FYI, mono does seem easier, but here is a photo of 80# Seaguar fluoro after a successful Mid Knot.

I've tied a midknot in fluoro many times. If you absolutely have to use fluoro, Blackwater works better than Seaguar for compression knots IMHO . For popping and jigging though, I never use the stuff anymore. It's tough to tie any knot with and it's far too stiff for lure presentation.

I CAN tie a San Diego knot in 200lb mono, but that doesn't mean that I should ;)

20. pametfisher

I've tied a midknot in fluoro many times. If you absolutely have to use fluoro, Blackwater works better than Seaguar for compression knots IMHO . For popping and jigging though, I never use the stuff anymore. It's tough to tie any knot with and it's far too stiff for lure presentation.

I CAN tie a San Diego knot in 200lb mono, but that doesn't mean that I should ;)

Thanks for the tip on Blackwater. I haven't used their fluoro but I've spoken with them a few times about their hollow core leader material and serving techniques. They seem like a really good outfit, I'm going to order some fluoro.

That said, I've been wondering a lot about the fluoro/mono trade-offs lately.