knot tying and line size ?

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by WahooMaster08, Aug 23, 2009.

1. WahooMaster08

WahooMaster08 Senior Member

I am new to using braid and have 80# pp on my reel. My question is what knot to use to tie in the top shot, recommended line for top shot and length. I was thinking of using a 65# fluro for the top shot and maybe like 25yrds in length, I am just unsure. I know by reading on here as much as I do someone can help and thanks for any and all replies.

2. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

What type/size of reel? What are you using it for.

3. WahooMaster08

Avet HX, and using it for live bait mostly and I am having a rod built for it from Paul at JPR rods.

What type/size of reel? What are you using it for.

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Avet HX, and using it for live bait mostly and I am having a rod built for it from Paul at JPR rods.
    If you use 80 lbs braid main line, there is no reason to use lighter 65 lbs leader line,especially when you use live bait.
    I don't use longer leader line for jigging and popping, but 25 yards are good for bait fishing which prevent knot from going through guides in and out while fighting.

5. bigscrnman

bigscrnman Senior Member

To mirror what Kil said, I would not use a lighter leader than the main line. Especially with live bait, fish are not going to be as finicky about line size. I would recomend that you learn to tie a bimini and use a good quality wind-on with a loop to loop connection. No issues with line passing through the guides in that configuration.

6. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

To mirror what Kil said, I would not use a lighter leader than the main line. Especially with live bait, fish are not going to be as finicky about line size. I would recomend that you learn to tie a bimini and use a good quality wind-on with a loop to loop connection. No issues with line passing through the guides in that configuration.

Amen!

7. WahooMaster08

I will take this advise and run with it!! After looking up everything you guys have posted from pics to covering issues I have great trust. Hopefully one day I can catch a boat with some guys from here and learn a thing or two. Might be some time since I am getting back from Iraq soon and a baby to follow but hopefully in the near future I can get out. Live in Louisiana so I am not to far from the water!!! Thanks Again

8. luna sea II

luna sea II Banned

For tuna I use 80 or 130lb spectra on all my live bait/chunking rigs and 75ft flouro windons from Basil in 60 and 80lb. i like to use 80 but sometimes dropping to 60 makes all the difference even with live bait. pretty much everyone in Venice uses heavier spectra to lighter leader for tuna. the heavier spectra is easier to work with, doesn't wear as quickly, and line capacity is not an issue.

9. WahooMaster08

Yeah I am hoping to get to Venice, I would love to hook up to a YFT, still havent but in in due time I will get one.