Knot to Popper

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by rtran, Nov 3, 2008.

1. rtran

rtran Senior Member

What kind of knot do you guys use to tie your leader to popper?

I noticed less mobility of the popper/swimbait with the knot I currently use but it still works.

Maybe I will add a split ring and swivel to have better movement and less line twists.

2. Sportfisherman

Sportfisherman Senior Member

I use solid ring + splitring arrangement to facilitate easy lure changing ; leader tied to solid ring n splitring to eyelet of the lure . So far it works ... since 2002 .

Jon .

3. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

rich, what knot are you using? on poppers shouldnt matter too much. stickbaits will have better action with a ring or loop attached, but if you didnt see any noticeable difference then i wouldnt worry about it. if it catches, use it.

i do use a swivel to connect my braid to a short leader. eliminates twists. easy to change out also. alot of guys dont like doing that, but works for me.

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

try a swivel/split ring........the knot i normally use is the san diego.

5. rtran

rtran Senior Member

rich, what knot are you using? on poppers shouldnt matter too much. stickbaits will have better action with a ring or loop attached, but if you didnt see any noticeable difference then i wouldnt worry about it. if it catches, use it.

i do use a swivel to connect my braid to a short leader. eliminates twists. easy to change out also. alot of guys dont like doing that, but works for me.

Some knot Kil showed me. I saw it effect swimbait more so I will try different ways to attach lures to my leader.

try a swivel/split ring........the knot i normally use is the san diego.

How strong of a swivel do you recommend trying?

6. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Spro 200#split ring- Spro 200# solid ring- Palomar knot.

It's never failed me, and the knot tests above the drag settings I run.

7. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

150lbs should probably be fine.....could be stronger as long as its not too big

8. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

crimp a loop at the popper, another crimp at the swivel... tie my braid on the other end of the swivel with a polamar knot.

this lets me pre rig about 6 poppers- all i need to do is tie a quick knot onto the swivel with my braid and I wont miss but about 3 minutes(most of that time is walking to get the new popper).

12-16" of 80# flouro leader, SPRO powerswivel 230# rating, 80 pound Spiderwire stealth (its cheap, and works without any flaws).

9. STx Fisherman

STx Fisherman Senior Member

I avoid split rings. I once had a yellowfin twist off a heavy duty hook that I attached to a popper (Tuna Hunter) via a split ring. The split ring and the hook just disappeared after that short fight with that tuna.

10. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

I use a San Diego knot to a solid ring then split ring to the lure. I also use a long (17ft+) leader.

11. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Spro 200#split ring- Spro 200# solid ring- Palomar knot.

It's never failed me, and the knot tests above the drag settings I run.

Brian do you have some extra?

12. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Plenty. Like 50 splits and 20 solids. no worries

13. gman

gman Senior Member

OK here are my set-ups I've broken them down, I made some changes this season after re evaluating my connections after last season. The real change I made this year was to use a specific Hammerhead Re-inforced Swivel (APS) to prevent line twist and I must say it made a huge difference in my line quality especially when speed jigging.

Personally I use a 5-6 turn Uni-Knot to either solid ring or swivel. The leader shown is 200 pound Varivas or 150 Fishermans Stealth Leader. ** Also the use of split rings really speeds up teh process so you are not re-tying every time you change out.

Image 1 & 2 - Big Poppers/Big Tuna (Hammerhead G Cup shown)
    Leader Varivas 200# with a Uni to the Hammerhead Swivel which is attached to the 300# split ring which is attached to the popper. Owner ST-76 - 5/0 Trebel Hooks being used

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Image 3 & 4 - StickBait (Ocean Revolution Shown) Leader Fishermans Stealth 150 with a Uni to the 700# solid ring which is attached to a 300# split ring with is attached to the stickbait. Owner ST-76 - 4/0 & Custom APS Single hook trail

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Image 4 & 5 - Jigging (Fisherman Andamans 250 shown)
    Leader Varivas 200#(Amberjack) or 80-150 fishermans stealth (tuna) with a Uni to the Hammerhead Swivel which is attached to the 300# split which is attached to the jig. Hook being used is a Shout Kudako 7/0 on a custom Kevlar cord. The key is to have a single W-I-D-E gap hook that is wider than jig helps prevent hook being stuck on jig and teh wide hooks locks around fishes jaw

[​IMG]

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff77/gkrosss/screencapture006-10.jpg

rtran likes this.
  14. rtran

rtran Senior Member

thanks glenn, very helpful.

I avoid split rings. I once had a yellowfin twist off a heavy duty hook that I attached to a popper (Tuna Hunter) via a split ring. The split ring and the hook just disappeared after that short fight with that tuna.

How else would you have hooks attatched to a popper other than J style where you clamp the eye tight? Do they have trebles like that?

15. gman

gman Senior Member

thanks glenn, very helpful.

How else would you have hooks attatched to a popper other than J style where you clamp the eye tight? Do they have trebles like that?

IMHO The assist hooks should always be attached to the solid ring so the edges of the split ring dont cut through the cord

16. rtran

rtran Senior Member

glenn do you jig with mono or flurocarbon?
    do you notice any less hits with your jig setup like that?

17. gman

gman Senior Member

It depends Rich if the bite isnt there I will switch to Fluro but generally I never use it. I've got bit fishing for tuna using 80-150 stealth leader by fishermans and with AJ's I use 200#. Honestly Im a more successful jigger than popper and that is exactly how I connect unless Im tuna fishing then I will use from 80-150 depending on the size of fish

Never use Fluro when popping because the fish are chasing a trailing lure so they never see the leader

18. rtran

rtran Senior Member

19. BAOSABI

BAOSABI Senior Member

Wouldn't this solve all your problems Rich. No knot of split ring pliers need for changing lures.

Rate for 150lbs. from Cabela's

Attached Files:

20. rtran

rtran Senior Member

i don't like that haha.