360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
need a little help from you experts........

yes, i know splicing and loops're the way to go but if i just want to tie my hollow
straight to my flouro leader i understand i should expect a reduction in test strength......

main scenario..... PP 80# hollow to 60# flouro (maybe even 80#)

which line would be the biggest cause of the knot's failure?... and would the 80# flouro
be a better choice?

i would like to have a minimum of 60# flouro leader

all this assuming i'll be using an easy-to-tie uni to uni connection

basically i'm looking for something simple-stupid/stupid-simple for this non-pro jigger.........
i have the one conventional jigging outfit w/PP 80# hollow and one conventional chunking rig with 100# PP solid

i also have 2 spinners...... one for jigging and one for popping, both filled with
100# PP solid....... (i might find i'll need to re-spool 1 of'em with 80# hollow)

my plans are to mainly use the convetional jigger (a gorilla 12C) and have a
spinning jigger for backup

i could tie a bimini loop in everything involved but prefer to be lazy about it...............
will these heavier test lines compensate for my laziness well enough for an occasional trip to floaters for yellowfin?

i can go as-high-as 130# JB hollow on the chunking rig and one of the
spinners if need be......... or use a short section of it in those connections if
there's any benefit in doing sumpin like that

<OR!>, feel free to gimmee an idea that's so simple it'll make my head spin and
make me wanna slap my momma for not having thot about it first :D ......
I'm not looking to do things right, i just wanna get by because 'pole-fishing'
isn't exactly my passion....... it's just sumpin to do whilst drinking beer and
passing the night waiting on sunrise to troll for marlin (my real passion)

i don't even eat tuna but there's always someone on the boat that will :rolleyes:

·
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
maybe it'd make better sense for me to just tie the spectra to a swivel
with the flouro on the other side then just leader the fish on in when the
swivel comes up to the tip......... (same thing i do with marlin)

that'd cure everything except for the popping rod..... any ideas there?
something simple that'll pass thru the guides for casting? or just use only
a foot-r-two of leader and a small spro swivel?

all my fishing's done from a private boat anyway

:confused:

the biggest reason i wanted a knot connection anyway was because too many times
when i let someone else use my gear they run the swivel right up into the tip.......

somehow it never fails no matter how many times i tell'em to stop reeling when the swivel
get's short o'the tip.....

the heat o'battle, i guess

·
2,030 Posts
The uni to uni will work fine, but for casting you might want to tie an albright with a 3 turn uni lock. Do you know how to tie a bimini to double the braid? I don't necessarily use fluoro, I just use at least 80# mono.

·
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
for casting you might want to tie an albright with a 3 turn uni lock

not real sure what you're talking about there but i just tried this albright special with 100# solid and 50# mono....... Albright Special

it's testing great and looks like it'll zip out the guides pretty good but might be a little bit of a different story coming back thru the guides under tension........ of course that's no biggee if i'm only gonna use it on the popper with a short leader

thanx!

·
2,030 Posts
On the old powerpro site the showed that with a 3 turn uni to lock down the braid on the braid side of the knot. It keeps it from slipping out.

·
28 Posts
I agree that you should tie the knot that you have the most confidence with. For connecting braid to flouro (or mono) my go-to knot is the Slim Beauty. Most will disagree with me but that is the knot I prefer for popping. I usually go 7 turns up and 11 turns back.

·
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
slim beauty?.... p r knot?....... i'm gonna have to look those up

there really is no spectra knot i have confidence in....... i'm a 1st-time user (or rather i should say owner) of this silly-string stuff

i did like that albright special tho...... even tho i broke the 5-yr-old 50# ande premium mono right at the knot, it did feel like i had to apply every bit 50#s o'pressure to do it... if not 60

it broke right at the knot but it was on the outside and left the rest inside o'the spectra knot

i've only got about 6 to 8' of that ande left to play with here (and all the spectra) but i do have a partial wrist spool of 60# flouro i suppose i could play with....... i just hate to practice and test with it cuz o'the price

not even sure if i have my drag scales here either....... maybe i'll go look in the game room

·
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i presume you dont wanna learn the P.R. knot?

:eek:

lol!.... just looked it up

:D .... too funny

not no, but hell no!.......

it ain't that cold outside and i ain't that bored!

mebbe sumday :rolleyes:

·
Site Sponsor
1,212 Posts
There really is no spectra knot i have confidence in.

All the more reason to learn how to splice. Why spend the money on hollow spectra just to tie knots?

Basil Pappas
BHP Tackle

·
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Why spend the money on hollow spectra just to tie knots?

BHP Tackle

cuz it'll be there when i have the time, energy, and patience to learn how to use it to it's fullest potential when i'm ready to go full bore?.....

i figger it's better to have it now rather'n invest in a buncha solid that'd have to be swapped out later on when i'm ready to dick-with-it

i know.... this whole thing sounds like i'm dumber'n a bag o'hammers butchoo gotta realize i'm one lazy procrastinatin' sumbich when it comes to trying things that're new-to me (that, and i don't have the eyesight, patience, and manual dexterity in my hands that i had when i was younger)

before all-is-said-n-done i'll probably wind up buying some needles and wind-ons from you anyway....... meantime it wouldn't hurt to know what i could get away with if a spur-o'the-moment trip should pop up here soon to venice or grand isle

i live in Louisiana but dock and do most all o'my fishing outta SPI, Texas.... and i brought these 4 rigs home with me to spool'em with spectra (which i've done)

·
40 Posts

All the more reason to learn how to splice. Why spend the money on hollow spectra just to tie knots?

Basil Pappas
BHP Tackle

Basil hit it right on the head....if you have hollow then learn how to use hollow....it is really very easy.

·
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Basil hit it right on the head....if you have hollow then learn how to use hollow....it is really very easy.

yup... he sure did.... and i will

even if he was no help at all at this point-in time

and thank you for your suggestion on an easy knot to use in the meantime.......... :rolleyes:

·
40 Posts
yup... he sure did.... and i will

even if he was no help at all at this point-in time

and thank you for your suggestion on an easy knot to use in the meantime.......... :rolleyes:

For what you are looking to do you might waqnt to try either a Worm Knot ( Reverse knot , Yucatan or a double Albright

The double Albright is a 7 - 10 turn down and then 7 - 10 turn back up and finish the same as the albright.

The improved albright also works

Here is a link

Knots - How to tie the Yucatan knot

Try this for the double albright

·
193 Posts
A bimini to yucatan if you can tie the bimini well. The negative, 60lb fluro is pretty thick and not soft so you will really have to pull to form the yucatan correctly.

You hate the PR and midknot since it looks complex. Take a look at the FG, it will make the other two knots look easy. But don't tie the FG the way it's shown, tie it the Sebile way. It's the same knot, except the Sebile is way easier to tie and you can keep tension on the braid on every turn. Tie it 20-30 time and you can tie it in a rocking boat. Now take your best scale, gloves, and face mask and pull away to check the knot strength. You will like the result.

·
2,622 Posts
You should be able to get 75% out of a properly tied uni-uni, with up to 60# FC. Tie the knot being careful to pull each wrap snug (I use 5 turns on both sides) while tying I tie the FC side first then pull the knots together tie on your hook and then slowly pull the entire rigging to 45#. I do this 3 times. After that you can trim the tags close and have a very good workable knot. It's not a loop-to-loop but you'll get good service out of the knot. The uni-uni will end up with about the same strength as your terminal knot. One major advantage with the uni is it's easy to tie a perfect knot.

·
1,386 Posts
I agree that Uni to Uni is a good solution is ligther weight lines where the Uni's bulk isn't a problem. I would add though that if you carefully measure ABS and then KBS, a Uni never does much better than 65% and sometimes worse. That's why I've got it on my list of 60%-class knots.

Another thought, the Uni will sometimes pull together such that the tag runs parallel to the mainline. In that cast I have seen significant abrasion (and posted it somewhere here).

·
2,622 Posts
I agree with pametfisher but Bill repeatedly asked for a simple knot he could get consistent results out of. He listed a specific situation with 60# leader and 80# PE.

When I quoted 75% I was talking fully rigged breaking strength versus the posted rating of the leader (45/60) when the braid is stronger than the leader. I understand that this is not a true test of ABS versus KBS and wasn't meant as such. I also realize that the ABS of both of these products is normally higher than rated strength. I also agree that if the tag end would be parallel with the mainline the uni would not be properly tied and the results will be worse. I also stated that this works best up to 60# FC.

MY point was to provide a simple answer to his exact question that should consistently give him a real world rigged breaking strength of 45#. I use this same set-up all the time and do not have a problem getting this result. My answer was not intended to be a scientific study or a recommendation of the absolute best way to rig, it was a response to a specific question. And in the end as long as his joining knot isn't weaker than his terminal knot it's not the limiting factor.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts