Knot - shock leader to lure

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by jig, Feb 18, 2009.

1. jig

jig Senior Member

I am getting some of the Jinkai mono leader. Will try mid knot to spectra. Are you able to tie a regular knot to the lure (improved cinch, Uni), or do you need to crimp? Talking 100 and 130 test. Thanks.

2. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

yes you can, it's very soft and supple. no need to crimp, i was playing with 130 and 150 lb test last evening.

3. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I use a uni knot to tie the leader to a popper. If I am using a jig sometimes I use a uni and sometime on the diamond jigs I just use a palomar because I can tie and cinch it quickly...

4. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Any knot that has good strength and you are comfortable with tying will work.

5. gman

gman Senior Member

6. jig

jig Senior Member

I do tie a uni now, but that's in 60# flouro. So, no problems tying uni in this heavy a line?

7. fish4stripers

fish4stripers Senior Member

I tie uni's in 130 mono no problem

8. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

4 turn San Diego jam knot works for me

9. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

I do tie a uni now, but that's in 60# flouro. So, no problems tying uni in this heavy a line?

If you like the Uni, it's a good choice. That's what I use. In the heavier line, I've noticed you have to coax the line as you pull the knot together to get the correct shape.

Also, I've found that heavier mono/fluoro needs fewer turns. I'd try 3, 4, 5 and see which pulls to the tightest correct knot with no slipping at 60% pressure (of actual line breaking strength, not the box rating ... and certainly much more than your drag setting). Maybe someone else has an opinion about number of turns.

10. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

Attached Files:

11. jimw

jimw Guest

I am getting some of the Jinkai mono leader. Will try mid knot to spectra. Are you able to tie a regular knot to the lure (improved cinch, Uni), or do you need to crimp? Talking 100 and 130 test. Thanks.

Is there anything wrong with crimping?

12. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Is there anything wrong with crimping?

Nope I crimp all my 130+lb leaders

d-a