360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting some of the Jinkai mono leader. Will try mid knot to spectra. Are you able to tie a regular knot to the lure (improved cinch, Uni), or do you need to crimp? Talking 100 and 130 test. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
1,569 Posts
I use a uni knot to tie the leader to a popper. If I am using a jig sometimes I use a uni and sometime on the diamond jigs I just use a palomar because I can tie and cinch it quickly...

·
1,321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I do tie a uni now, but that's in 60# flouro. So, no problems tying uni in this heavy a line?

·
366 Posts
4 turn San Diego jam knot works for me

·
1,386 Posts
I do tie a uni now, but that's in 60# flouro. So, no problems tying uni in this heavy a line?

If you like the Uni, it's a good choice. That's what I use. In the heavier line, I've noticed you have to coax the line as you pull the knot together to get the correct shape.

Also, I've found that heavier mono/fluoro needs fewer turns. I'd try 3, 4, 5 and see which pulls to the tightest correct knot with no slipping at 60% pressure (of actual line breaking strength, not the box rating ... and certainly much more than your drag setting). Maybe someone else has an opinion about number of turns.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am getting some of the Jinkai mono leader. Will try mid knot to spectra. Are you able to tie a regular knot to the lure (improved cinch, Uni), or do you need to crimp? Talking 100 and 130 test. Thanks.

Is there anything wrong with crimping?

·
5,457 Posts
Is there anything wrong with crimping?

Nope I crimp all my 130+lb leaders

d-a

1 - 12 of 12 Posts