Knot question

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by JasonF, Oct 23, 2008.

1. JasonF

JasonF Senior Member

Can one of yall tell me what would be an appropriate knot for joining 2 equal diameter spectre (non-hollow) lines? Thanks in advance. Jason

2. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

I've always used a uni to uni knot. Never had any slippage on me.

3. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

4. clalo20

clalo20 Junior member

UNI to UNI but I make mine with a double line. Not a loop, just double up the line and do a UNI to UNI.

Worked so far!

5. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I use a uni to uni with at least 9 turns.

6. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

Can one of yall tell me what would be an appropriate knot for joining 2 equal diameter spectre (non-hollow) lines? Thanks in advance. Jason

What pound test?
    How strong do you want it to be after you add the connection?
    Spinning reel, conventional?
    How long a segment are you adding?

Uni to uni is okay if you can live with a roughly 40-50% strength reduction.
    Put a drop of Loctite 406 on each side of the finished uni and it will be very strong.

7. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Uni to uni. I noticed if I tied the uni to uni dry it will break fairly easily but if I put some spit on the knots before pulling the lines tight the line seems just as strong as solid line.

8. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

Uni to uni is okay if you can live with a roughly 40-50% strength reduction.

You can use a short 4 or 5' piece of hollow core to achieve a 100% connection.

9. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

You can use a short 4 or 5' piece of hollow core to achieve a 100% connection.

I'm a big fan of splicing hollow-core GSP braid--in fact I've switched to it. When you use it to splice two pieces of braid, do you serve the two ends of the splice or just glue them? (What glue do you use?)

10. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

If its colored line especially, I use the JB two part glue to strip off the coatings then glue. However there are many different methods, some that use glue and some that don't. The method that you have confidence in and that can be completed quickly is ultimately the right one.