Knot length and leader length

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by squidgie, Jun 20, 2009.

1. squidgie

squidgie Junior member

Hi,

Rigging up my reels for a YF tuna trip in a few days. Just wondering firstly, how long do you make your PR knot? Mine is about 4 cm including half hitches .

Secondly, how long a leader do you use? Usually I set mine long enough to get 2 coils around the spool and the lure hangs halfway down the rod . That give enough to have more or less hang length depending on lure weight .

cheers

2. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

if you use a glove, you can go with a shorter leader to get better casting distance. no reason for a shock leader when using braided line. some like long leaders for add abrasion resistance from the fish and boat hull.

3. squidgie

squidgie Junior member

The shorter rod is 8ft and the longer one 9'2 so the leader would be about that plus a few feet to get the right drop. I was thinking that if it were too short the PR knot might be more visible close to the lure ....

4. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

if you use a glove, you can go with a shorter leader to get better casting distance. no reason for a shock leader when using braided line. some like long leaders for add abrasion resistance from the fish and boat hull.

You make a good point about abrasion resistance versus casting distance.

What I'm doing this year is as follows:

--60# Spectra braid main line.

--12' 80# Spectra braid with 80# sheath for abrasion resistance made from hollow Spectra. I call this my pre-leader. In addition to the sheath protecting the line inside it, that section is thicker and easier on your finger when casting.

--7' to 9' Mono/Fluoro leader. For my popping rod, I want the mono/fluoro to end near the first guide above the reel. That way there is no centrifugal force throwing the leader around in wide circles as it comes off the reel. This is important as the leader gets heavier, so that you don't lose distance when casting. Even a 125# leader casts pretty well if you don't start it whirling and slapping the rod as it comes off the reel. For the heavier leaders I cut them longer than the fish I'm after but short enough that they're up in the guides. The pre-leader adds abrasion resistance near the boat.

The above is another hidden advantage of using hollow line. You can add several yards of really strong line in front of your main line or you can add a sheath on top of your line for a pre-leader, but don't have to tie strength-robbing knots.