knot busting guide insert

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by luna sea II, Jul 25, 2009.

1. luna sea II

luna sea II Banned

Have any of you ever seen a wind-on knot break or knock out a guide insert?

2. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

Have any of you ever seen a wind-on knot break or knock out a guide insert?

What kind of knot, strength of line, rod and reel were you using?

The quick answer is knots that are cast through rod guides regularly knock out guide rings. In order to cast a lure 80 yards, the line gets accelerated to about 85 mph. Shoot the line and knots through the guides at that speed a few hundred times (or more over several trips) and something gives. Usually it's the knot gets weakened. Eventually, a guide gets loosened.

If you made a windon with a swivel and cast it, ditto. Or if you cast a bulky or metal Serve, the guides will eventually go.

A thin Serve, however, seems to work fine and does not damage guides.

One other possibility: someone else used your rod, weakened a guide ring buy running a knot or swivel through it. Later you used a well made Served Windon and the guide ring came out. That is also possible.

3. luna sea II

luna sea II Banned

I use a tony pena knot 65 braid to 80-130 mono. I know this knot is not popular but i've never had one fail. It goes out easy but in not so easy. someone else was using this rod and we were snapper fishing with a carolina rig so he could have reeled the egg sinker into the tip. some people think you just have to keep cranking.

4. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

I use a tony pena knot 65 braid to 80-130 mono. I know this knot is not popular but i've never had one fail. It goes out easy but in not so easy. someone else was using this rod and we were snapper fishing with a carolina rig so he could have reeled the egg sinker into the tip. some people think you just have to keep cranking.

I just went and looked at the knot--very similar to a Slim Beauty.

The Overhand knot gets big in 80-130 lb. mono. If you cast it a lot, it will contact the guides, most likely weakening them.

The Mid and P.R. knots are stronger and much gentler on the guides. A Wind-On is even better for strength and smoothness.

A learned the hard way that if I loaned a rod, to anyone but a very good angler, there was a 50/50 chance it would be damaged. I also learned the hard way that if a sinker or swivel can be brought through the guides it would be, resulting in a knocked out guide.

5. Van Wildonher

Van Wildonher Member

Personally I prefer the PR over the Mid knot. However I use the slim beauty when I'm on the boat because the PR is kinda hard to tie and it takes a while.

6. Van Wildonher

Van Wildonher Member

Funny, I didn't know P.R. (without the periods) automatically turns into PR. I thought I was losing my mind there for a second.

7. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Funny, I didn't know P.R. (without the periods) automatically turns into Page Ranking. I thought I was losing my mind there for a second.
    HAHA yes that really messed with me for a fews days.
    I also prefer the P.R. knot. I can't seem to get the midknot to hold nearly as consistant. I always a get a little creeping out of it.