Knot -Braid to mono, that you can tie on boat

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by straycatboat, Aug 4, 2009.

1. straycatboat

straycatboat Member

Does anyone have a easy , secure knot that you can splice 80lb braid to say 40-100lb mono/fluro and make the knot on a rocking boat? :) I am not looking at using windons, this would take the place of them in a pinch.
    Knot has to run thru rod eyes when your casting.

2. wadefisherman

wadefisherman Tuna Club Member

3. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

PR is the best IMO. I think it's easiest of all to do, especially with the uni finish... But if you don't want to do PR, then improved allbright is OK. Not as smooth casting, especially with larger mono you mention in your range. But OK. Mid knot might be option too, but looks more difficult than just spinning a PR bobbin to me...

Also, be sure to use the softest mono you can get. It makes a big difference when casting!

I like Varivas, it's smooth like butta! (But I don't have anything over 60lb in my bag so when I need 80-100 I just bum some from my tackle ho buddies! It's just as nice as the lighter stuff! ;))

4. SteelingHeads

SteelingHeads Senior Member

Sraycatboat,

I think the easiest and thinnest (for passing through the guides) is the Slim Beauty. Very easy to tie. If you don't mind carrying a bobbin and are very comfortable with tying it, the PR is better though.

http://www.marinews.com/Slim-Beauty-233.php

5. jig

jig Senior Member

Modified fg knot. I cannot find the video though.

6. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

If I am in a hurry I just tie a uni to uni. I have never had one fail and have put some serious pressure on them.
    If I have the time I will tie a P.R. Knot. It just takes me twice as long.

7. Stryper

Stryper Senior Member

8. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

once you get the hang of a P.R. - its not too bad.

9. copperhead

copperhead Site Sponsor

10. HWK

HWK Senior Member

Uni to Uni is a great knot.

11. Boston Tangler

Boston Tangler Site Sponsor

once you get the hang of a P.R. - its not too bad.

Not too bad, I was still catching on the one you tied up for me in Panama in April. Its had four fish over #100 and two close to #200 - but its a little nicked time to retire it, I did reglue it after the big fish yesterday it looked like it was fraying a little bit.

12. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

yeah...........thats not a bad track record........glad i tied a good one lol. its nice how slim/strong it is.

13. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

I managed to tie an Albierto knot pretty easily, but didn't get to test it on fish yet. Seems to get decent reviews and is simple to tie!

14. Van Wildonher

Van Wildonher Member

15. Van Wildonher

Van Wildonher Member

Doesn't look like it to me. :confused:

Oh you weren't answering me. duh!

16. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

The very strongest, thinnest, smallest you can tie on a boat would be the Mid Knot.

17. jig

jig Senior Member

What kind of knot is this? I need to check this out tomorrow.

a variation of the fg knot. But, he left out a lot of the 'finish' you need for our big game application. need to do a lot more half hitches, and then end with a reversing uni (or similar self serving knot).

18. Steve/NH

Steve/NH Junior member

Here's link to very quick/easy/secure and go through the guides knot.

http://i292.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid292.photobucket.com/albums/mm21/captandywerner/MVI_0089-2.flv

Never had it fail and and after 15 minutes practice you can tie it in the dark on a rolling/pitching boat with fish busting all around!!!

Thats a very cool knot. I just tyed one using 65# braid to 40# mono and the mono broke at 42# but not at the knot.....it broke at the surgeons loop hooked to the force guage. Very impressed with the size and strength...Cant get much smaller than that.

Edited - I just checked out the FG knot on You tube and the FG seems to just have many more 1/2 hitches to finish it which I uess I don't know why as they are not doing much besides makingit it bigger. Can someone educate me as to why so many 1/2 hitches?

19. jig

jig Senior Member

It offers much more secure hold on the line, not for strength but to keep from unraveling. Also, you keep going up the line, past the mono, to provide a bit of guard against the mono end chafeing (sp?) the braided line. All these knots are good and similar in how the work; the FG "method" just seems the quickest and easiest. I've tested the FG fine at home, but have not pulled on a good fish with it yet. And that's the real test.

20. Steve/NH

Steve/NH Junior member

It offers much more secure hold on the line, not for strength but to keep from unraveling. Also, you keep going up the line, past the mono, to provide a bit of guard against the mono end chafeing (sp?) the braided line. All these knots are good and similar in how the work; the FG "method" just seems the quickest and easiest. I've tested the FG fine at home, but have not pulled on a good fish with it yet. And that's the real test.

Thanks jig...that makes sense. It's funny but I've been looking for a knot for a month now that is compact and stong that will not bust the guides from my rod when casting, and this one has never been mentioned. Ive heard the Uni-Uni alot, Albright, Slim Beauty, Bimini twist, etc.......But this one tested the best and is sooooo slim it should be perfect for spinning combo.