Knives and steel.

Discussion in 'HUNTING' started by PiePuncher, Dec 26, 2006.

1. PiePuncher

PiePuncher Senior Member

Does the steel make that much of a difference? I am looking at getting a new pocket knife and have been looking at the buck dorado. There are two different versions of this knife, one has 154 CPM steel and the other is ATS-34 steel. What will be the major differences. I know hardness will be different but will it be that much stronger? Prices are 95 and 60. If the 154 is that much better, I will get the better knife. I am just looking for input as I am sure that some of you guys know a little more than I do on the subject.
    http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=81996&hvarTarget=search&cmCat=SearchResults

2. PiePuncher

PiePuncher Senior Member

I was also looking at the alpha hunter series but any input on steel is appreciated. THanks

3. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

4. PiePuncher

PiePuncher Senior Member

Thanks bill. Thats awesome.

5. PiePuncher

PiePuncher Senior Member

I have read quite a bit now on the topic. The site that bill posted had me wanting more, so I did a search. Now I am looking for hands on experiences. I have used the ats-34 and can say that it does fairly well but in all honesty, I cant say I have anything to compare it to. Are there any steel nuts out there? Seems to me that the steels are very very close to the same, except one is american made and the other foreign. I dont care where it is made, I just want a good knife for years to come. If the steels are really that close to one another, I might as well use the extra 30$ and get a nice knife sharpener. Thanks for any input.

6. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

7. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Just remember that the harder the steel the harder to sharpen. I have found that buck knifes are hard to sharpen. They do hold the edge for a long time, but it's a mother to get them razor sharp.

My favorite hunting knife is a "Rigid". I'm not sure they make them anymore. They are easy to sharpen and hold the edge very well. One minute on the crock stick and you can shave with it. I bought 6 of them after buying my first one. Try ebay if they are no longer available from Rigid tool.

Puma also makes a great knife for being off the self.

8. PiePuncher

PiePuncher Senior Member

Thanks for all your input. I think I am just going to get the cheaper of the two and get a nice knife sharpener. I could use one and I will save the rest of my gift certificates till I need to purchase a new reel. I dont know if I will ever NEED to buy a new reel but a few times a year, I just feel like I have to buy one... Cya and thanks

9. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

Pie Puncher, Sometimes I think you pay more money because one steel is considered the newest 'hot' blade material. They are both very good steels, I'm a big ATS34 fan. In my opinion, and I buy knives like water runs out of a tap, once you've picked a good steel, the best knife comes from a maker who is the best and most consistent in the hardening process. You can buy 5 knives of the same type and blade material and one blade will be better than the others. If the manufacturer pays close attention during the hardening process, that doesn't happen as much. Have found Buck to be one of the more consistent. There's also a fine line between hardness and a blade being brittle and chipping easy. Also get a good diamond hone, they make sharpening a lot easier.
    If you'll send me a pm on the model you're looking at, I may be able to get you a deal, have a friend who deals knives and I get them at his cost.
    And if you don't go to Venice we're gonna start callin ya PP.

Fred

10. Bret

Bret Senior Member

They used to sell a knive, I cant remember the name, but it was cheap, under $10 and it had a little metal sleeve that you rotated to lock the blade and had a wooden handle. With a little work, you could shave with one.. I have processed many a deer and pig with one of them... I lost my last one about 6 or 7 yrs ago.. do any of you guys remember those knives???

Keith, as far as the type of steel, I have never given it much thought.. I usually just buy some of the restaurant/kitchen knives(that has the blade style I want)and have had good luck with them.. A good steel and a diamond sharpener and you are good to go.

11. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

Bret, I think that knife was a French design, can't remember what they called them. Cold Steel used to have one in their line and they were good knives. Kind of a thin blade, right?

Fred

12. Bret

Bret Senior Member

yes, very thin blade.. but they would hold an edge.. I used to seem them at the hardware store, like a whole bucket full of them.. I will ask my buddy the brand name.. I need to buy a few to have on hand.. I never try to split the pelvis or sternum with my knives anymore.. I have one of those small gerber bone saws (about 3in blade). They are awesome for that purpose. I rarely nick my blades.. the biggest problem I have with my blades is tallow buildup while skinning hogs.. This year I have been using my old Case buffalo pocket knive (Dad gave us all one back in the 70's) hard steel, but once you get it sharp, you are good to go for a few critters..

13. PiePuncher

PiePuncher Senior Member

Fred, I was looking at the buck dorado with the cherry handle. I have basspro gift certs that I can use but might keep you in mind for a big purchase sometime(expensive knife). Is it hard for you to get the hook up?

I feel bad enough that I am not headed to venice and you guys are not making it any easier. I ask about a pocket knife and you guys still give me grief about a fishing trip!!!!! lol You guys are awesome.

Thanks for all the input, you can never know enough and there is no way better to learn than hands on. Thanks for all the input and I am pretty hard set on the buck alpha knives and the buck dorado.
    When it comes to kitchen knives, I have tons of Wusthoff knives and henckles, a few sets and one still in a box. I have plenty of them but am in need of a lasting pocket knife. I had a CRKT(columbia river knife technologies) knife and it made it about five years and is still used today. I dont think I cleaned it from a few months ago when I was butchering a bonita for snap bait. YUCK.. time for a new one!!! Thanks everyone.

14. PiePuncher

PiePuncher Senior Member

15. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

PiePuncher, No, the hook up is simple and very reliable. He's in the business and handles CRKT, Buck, Case, Kershaw, Cold Steel, Eye Brand, Boker, Puma, and some others. Lemme know.

Fred

16. Pointman

Pointman Guest

Piepunhcer, if you want a good knife look at the Victorinox Hunter.I have had one for years and they arent that expensive hold an edge and are easy to sharpen. They are a lockblade and come with several useful tools for the hunter(saw,gut blade and a for others). I have disasembled many a critter with mine.

17. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Fred, thats the one.. but I thought it had a different name.. Thanks.