Knife/Butterfly Setup...

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by SpecialK, Nov 15, 2007.

1. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Ok I know there is some debate about the best way to do this but here is the deal.

I have some 7" 9" and 12" knife and butterfly jigs. Which ones would you put only top assist hooks on and which ones would you put bottom hooks on also?

What type of hook and connection would you use for a bottom hook? JUst a hook and a split ring?

-KUrtis

2. jig

jig Senior Member

Regardless, I only fish one hook at the top. I seem to do okay with it. I have tried everything, including circle hooks on the bottom, hooks at top and bottom, double hooks, etc. I think I do just as well with single assist and tiny rubber band to hold close to the jig body. I tie my own assist hooks, and try to make them just long enough to hang down about 1/3 to 1/2 of the length of the jig. My hooks are just a bit wider than the jig body.

Extra hooks just seem to be more trouble to untangle and unhook fish without adding to my hookup ratio. And when I fished hooks on the bottom I lost more fish due to them tossing the jig (they can use the weight of the jig to their advantage).

Hope this helps. BTW, you usually refer to jigs by weight, not length, and then style (i.e. long vs. short for example).

3. papio

papio Senior Member

Never had any problems using two assist on the top. One hook on the top is all you need, two hooks are really just for show IMO. Split ring and Owner ST-76 Treble on the bottom. Good luck!!!

4. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

single top hook only, just use longer cord legnth for longer jigs.

5. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

I did a small test on the Cinco trip in May.
    fished my typical 300g 10.5" knife jig.
    first nite- Single 7/0 assist on top, single 7/0
    on 220# owner split ring on bottom. of the near 30
    BFT I boated that night, only 2 or 3 were hooked on the bottom hook
    Second nite- fished the same jig, same way, w/out the bottom hook.
    hooked up on all bites but 2.
    My opinion- you only need 1 big assist on the front, 95% of the fish
    are gonna aim for the head, and you really don't want a hookup on the bottom, because that pretty much defeats the purpose of the assist setup.
    that being when hooked up, you are tied directly to the fish, w/out the jig working against you & the hook.
    JMO
    -Brian

6. gman

gman Senior Member

I personally like either a single or double set up at top, and i personally believe that fish target the head area of a baitfish as almost everyone of my bites are on top. In addition when the hook is on top the weight of the jig doesnt work against you like it does on the bottom but Im no expert. On my next trip Im going to put a big assist hook on teh bottom just to try it out

7. tass

tass Member

Single assist at top. Don't need anything else on the jig

8. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

Single assist on the top. I do like the way Williamson jigs use heat shrink on the assist hook to keep it from fouling, and to help with cutoffs. I've found I can usually go around 25 fish before the kevlar breaks.

Tom

9. gman

gman Senior Member

Single assist on the top. I do like the way Williamson jigs use heat shrink on the assist hook to keep it from fouling, and to help with cutoffs. I've found I can usually go around 25 fish before the kevlar breaks.

Tom

thats a great ratio

10. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

Well, not really, that's just Blackfins!

DBG

11. awesum

awesum Senior Member

I've found I can usually go around 25 fish before the kevlar breaks.

Tom

25 Fish or 1 Cuda ....:rolleyes:

Actually, I'm having trouble finding a way to transport that 420G Jitterbel I bought......it won't fit in anything I carry.:D

12. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Thanks for th input... So when you setup 2 on the top do you put a rubberband on both of them? and are they attached one towards the top and one in the middle?

13. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

Single on top.
    I've seen the second hook catch a deckhand.

14. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

bass pro shops xps double sided tangle free crankbait box is excellent for holding long jigs. jitterbel 420 fits perfectly and doesnt bounce all over.

15. lite-liner

you only need one hook, dude. took me awhile to beleive, too
    any more is just danger when it comes over the side.
    Ronnie uses a rubber band on his, i think. I don't see the need.
    Tom- the R2S single 7/o assists I got from Charkbait went 1 for 46
    on blacks before I got paranoid & changed it out. Still got the jig, too,
    and that's sayin somethin' for Cap'n Cuda! no paint left on the bottom half of a 300g Knife jig. so cool. think it' a pretty good color!
    -Brian
    -Brian

16. SkeeterRonnie

SkeeterRonnie Senior Member

last trip i gave up on the rubberbands.... no need for them.. the fish is either gonna hit it or not... and if they do hit it, then you will hook up. rubberband becomes a pain to keep up with...

17. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

well I got some pre made 6/0 assist hooks from charkbait. Not sure if I like them or not. They are stout but not big. I am thinking maybe ill get a bunch of 7/0 or 8/0 to go with them. I hate living in Austin. There is not a store in town you can walk into and buy good chit. Everything has to be ordered so you can't "look" at it first... Pretty frustrating!

18. awesum

awesum Senior Member

bass pro shops xps double sided tangle free crankbait box is excellent for holding long jigs. jitterbel 420 fits perfectly and doesnt bounce all over.

Thanks, I'll check that out.

19. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

O.T.I. jigs come with dressed quality assist hooks, solid rings and split rings and are big fish proven. I do remove the xtra hook that comes on some jigs.

360Tackle :: Lures :: Jager Jig - Silver - Includes Assist Hook

For long jigs make your own assist hooks with kevlar cord to get the right legnth. Anglers Pro Shop has good cord.

Angler's Pro Shop

for hooks try Fisherman Siden assist hooks or Varivas seriola out barb assist hooks

Angler's Pro Shop

Due to the fall of some jigs heat shrink my be added to prevent cord wrapping jig. also protects cord from tooth wear.

20. lite-liner

SpK, the 6/o assists from R2S you got from Charkbait will work well on
    knife jigs up to about 150g, I normally fish a 300g @ the floaters due
    to lots of current. for 200g-bigger, move up to the 7/o. I like that one
    because it's pre-made & it hangs about 1/3 down a 10.5" jig
    JMO, but 5 bucks for 3 pre-made Quality assists is probably cheaper than you can make 'em, if you incl. your time....
    Don't forget some of those little tiny Owner 200# solid rings
    -Brian