KIDFLEX presents...Sam Rayburn dragons! 7/21/09

Discussion in 'Freshwater fishing reports' started by kidflex, Jul 21, 2009.

1. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

me and todd met up with capt. kirk kirkland at 0530. headed to sam rayburn reservoir for another shot at some alligator gar. we normally fish the trinity river and the fish have been biting there. 15 a day catches with multiple 100 lbers. kirk tells us lets give sam rayburn a try. this was going to be his first day fishing the lake this year but hopes were high anyway. ended up setting 8floats out with carp for bait. wasnt long before we had a run.

these baits are attached to a line with a float and some bottles for visibility. we run the boat over and kirk quickly cuts the line from the bottle and connects the 2 lines together. we follow the fish for a little and then set the hook. 1st fish of the morning. a nice 70 lber!
    [​IMG]
    Todd is up next. wasnt long before another run. He sets the hook and he gets a nice long nose gar.
    [​IMG]
    shortly after releasing the longnose another baits starts to move. we hurry to get the lines connected. while tying the line comes tight and i have no choice but to set the hook................i'll tell this story later boys.

after that i decided to kick back and enjoy my high(figuratively). i told Todd that he could stay on the fish until he get a big one. a big storm comes through and we had to take shelter on the bank for a bit. after the rain stopped we checked the baits. we saw one float moving and hooked up immediatley. Todd with his first respectable alligator gar. 80 lbs
    [​IMG]

we wait an hour or so and repeat. todd with another 80lb gar!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

.......the line starts screaming off the reel. i keep tightening the drag slowly to make this fish stop. i know it would be my 100 lber. finally after 6 trips i got the beast i was looking for. i started gaining line back. i grew anxious to see what i had at the end of my line. kirk stated that when a fishes head is taht hard to bring up its a big one. right after saying that the fish appeared like a submarine.DAMN! and many other profanity came out. i couldnt beleive my eyes. i was in shock at the size of this fish. kirk got the lasso around the fish and it took everything he had to bring it overboard. once in the boat the celebrating began. we rushed over to the bank to get some good pics. enjoy! 205 lbs!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/3133/dscf2280.jpg
    http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/5299/dscf2282.jpg
    http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/5249/dscf2285.jpg
    we put the monster back in the water and pushed it off into deeper water. after all this time obsessing about these fish. after all the hours i put in on the river. i was finally rewarded! patience is the key to any fishing. find a target species and keep at it. thanks to capt. kirk kirkland. trips like this is why the man is on multiple tv shoes and documentaries. hope yall enjoyed a look at some prehistoric fish that are in much need of conservation. peace kidflex

2. Anuvat

Anuvat Senior Member

Holy Chit bro!!! Congrats!!! When I got your txt this morning I knew it was a big fish but dang that thing is HUGE!!! Persistent pays off and you deserved it bro. Congrats once again......I'm sure you called Dave?:p

3. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

Holy Chit bro!!! Congrats!!! When I got your txt this morning I knew it was a big fish but dang that thing is HUGE!!! Persistent pays off and you deserved it bro. Congrats once again......I'm sure you called Dave?:p
    thanks bro. hahaha i tried to call him but no answer. he'll see soon enough

4. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

funny thing is that toneyc was supposed to fish with me. he had to cancel. hate to rub it in brotha but you shoulve been there.

5. tunatuna

tunatuna Senior Member

THAT'S ONE BIG !!*&^#$#*:eek: :eek: :eek: .
    Congratulation on the achievement. :)

6. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

OMFG!! Congrats Brian, that's a HUGE prehistoric lookin beast!!

7. HWK

HWK Senior Member

hell yeah, Congrats on a great fish !!! That last pic is just sick !!!

Were you fishing creek channel drop offs, flats, shallow water, .... ?

8. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

forgot to mention the fish was 94 inches by 39 inches. 205 lbs!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. GanderVA

GanderVA Senior Member

That's a ton of cajun gar balls.

10. gman

gman Senior Member

well now look at what we have here. HOT DAMN BRO you werent kidding. I though I was dreaming when i read that text this morning. CONGRATULATIONS you deserved that fish after all your hard work. Couldnt happen to a better guy

You are the man bro. Dave is going to be soooooo jealous

11. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

hell yeah, Congrats on a great fish !!! That last pic is just sick !!!

Were you fishing creek channel drop offs, flats, shallow water, .... ?
    flats. 12ft. stayed in one spot all day. fished a 20 acre area.

12. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

Mother F*****! Why, why did the big one have to come on the trip I can't make? Lucky bastard.

13. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

i have video of the whole thing from the line screaming off the spool, the lift in the boat, on the shore, and the release. todds fish did a complete flip in the air. awesome videos

14. masonboro

masonboro Senior Member

Holy Cow!!! Good Job Brian!

15. yellowtail

yellowtail Guest

Man, if there were ever a day I were proud to be Kidflex woman...it's today! Nice job B!

16. yellowtail

yellowtail Guest

Oh and I'm sorry if I made kidflex sound soft with that comment...he is super macho..I will probably get smacked around with him in a wife beater for that comment:)

17. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I'll have to admit that after reading your first two posts about catching a big alligator gar I thought you had a screw loose. You kept at it and kept trying. I couldn't understand why you would keep at it. Now after seeing the picture of you laying next to that beast, I understand your willingness to get the fish of your dreams. Good job.

18. crazyjigr

crazyjigr Senior Member

That fish is awsome!
    Good job Brian

19. semipro

semipro Senior Member

I like the see video also,congrulations.Releaseing the fish is winning too

20. Van Wildonher

Van Wildonher Member

That's bigger than the one on that show river monsters or whatever it's called. Congrats man!

21. Bellyups

Bellyups Senior Member

That's a great catch Brian!!! Congratulations!!

22. gimmedeal

gimmedeal Senior Member

Way to go Brian. That thing looks a little prehistoric and I couldn't visualize the size until I saw the pics. What's next on the list?

Fred