Key West ?

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by The Business, Jul 31, 2008.

1. The Business

The Business Member

I'm heading down to Key West for the week and bringing the boat. Anybody have any advice,favorites charts, hang outs, or Captains. I wouldn't mind chartering a boat for the day. Thanks.

2. Bret

Bret Senior Member

Start at the west end of duvall street and hit every bar til you hit the other end... if you make it that far.. There was a boat at the hyatt called SUNDAY. had a female deckie that was a very knowledgeable light tackle fisherman.. I cant remember the capts name..

3. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I will tell you one thing about Key West. You cannot have enough money in your pocket. That place will drain your wallet faster than any other city in the United States. You might think I nuts, but two people will burn over a grand a day.:mad:

4. The Business

The Business Member

Great, we're taking 14 for a week. Any good tackle shops down there that I can at least blow some on myself?

5. Bret

Bret Senior Member

I will tell you one thing about Key West. You cannot have enough money in your pocket. That place will drain your wallet faster than any other city in the United States. You might think I nuts, but two people will burn over a grand a day.:mad:

They have several magic walls(ATM) in case you do run out of $$$$

Dont remember much about any tackle shop in key west..

6. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

I'm heading down to Key West for the week and bringing the boat. Anybody have any advice,favorites charts, hang outs, or Captains. I wouldn't mind chartering a boat for the day. Thanks.

I go to the keys once or twice a year..I love it & I'm looking to buy a place..I stay in Key Colony most of the time..If you looking for a top Capt try Catch Em All out of Marathon..Jeff in Capt Pips marina..I been fishing with Jeff for ten years now never a bad day, & he has top notch rod's..I should know I built them :p

7. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Contact Capt.Byron Goss or Capt. Jack Carlson, they operate charters business as well as tackle store.

Big Time Discount Bait & Tackle
    11499 Overseas Hwy
    Marathon, FL 33050
    Tel: (305)289-0199

8. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

9. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

Brian, I never fished the lady but they fish the reef ..Yellowtail snapper fun on light tackle..

SeaDog ,you much better off on a pvt sixpack..You can try capt pips( Catch Em All ) & there are a few charter boats on the causway into key colony beach..
    You can also try duck key...

I ony fish with Catch Em All check his website fishing reports last december..Starts off as big Redfish They were BIG!!!!!!!!!!

Have a great trip its great their........

10. JerseyBrian

Brian, I never fished the lady but they fish the reef ..Yellowtail snapper fun on light tackle..

SeaDog ,you much better off on a pvt sixpack..You can try capt pips( Catch Em All ) & there are a few charter boats on the causway into key colony beach..
    You can also try duck key...

I ony fish with Catch Em All check his website fishing reports last december..Starts off as big Redfish They were BIG!!!!!!!!!!

Have a great trip its great their........

Thanks for the tip Capt. Richie!

We are only staying from August 11-13th, but anytime I can sneak away to the Keys is better than not going to the Keys ;)

On August 11th, we have plans to go out with Capt. Diego Toiran of Reelsmokers Charters for some offshore jigging.

We will be staying at the Rainbow Bend Resort in Marathon and they give you 4 free hours rental on one of their Boston Whaler skiffs (just have to pay fuel) each day of your stay so we will probably jump on one of them after our charter with Diego is over for the 4 hours and then go night fishing off their lighted docks to finish off the day. The rental boats look small and fit for backcountry/flats fishing...I don't think I could make it to one of the reefs in those :p But I'm still gonna ask :D...... even have my Portable Humminbird Fish Finder ready for this trip lol.

On the 12th, we'll probably start the day off fishing on the Free Rental and then maybe hit up a party boat in the afternoon. I've heard that the Gulfstream III out of Key West is good (they've limiting out on Mangroves all week) or I might try out the night fishing trip on the Marathon Lady.

The 13th, we'll most likely just do the rental boat and then head back to Miami.

11. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

Brian sounds like your going to have a great trip...The reds we caught were 42 to 48lbs ,cobia in the low 50lb & kings in the low to mid 40lb..We boated a good 80 fish that day.......I love it their..........I have my next trip booked & fishing three days..I dont know if we can top the last trip........

The Tarpon should be under the seven mile bridge..Live mullet is the bait..Bring a 30-50 rod & a 4/0 type of reel & hang on..
    I use an avet 4/0 works just great..
    Good luck & catch em up..........

12. JerseyBrian

Is their a bait and tackle shop that sells live mullet? I'll have my Accurate 665 2spd I can throw at the 'poons :)

Sounds like you were bailing in some monsters on your last trip! :eek:

13. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

Any good tackle shops down there that I can at least blow some on myself?

Cudjoe Sales, at about mile marker 21. Same parking lot as E-Fish (East side of the road).

14. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

Yes right next to the Marathon lady same side of US1 next street..There ia also the Tackle box down US1 .. Cudjoe key is a 20min drive one way.. Good fishing there...Most of the Capts catch there own & have big bait pens..If you cant get mullet,live crabs work too.

you can also get some bunker blocks & dry chum & fish for yellowtail & other snappers with 1/6 to 1/8 oz jig heads & live shrimp..Cut the head off the shrimp & put the hook of the jig head through the shrimp with the lead head were the shripm should be..Jut keep letting out line & let it sink ..

15. JerseyBrian

Yes right next to the Marathon lady same side of US1 next street..There ia also the Tackle box down US1 .. Cudjoe key is a 20min drive one way.. Good fishing there...Most of the Capts catch there own & have big bait pens..If you cant get mullet,live crabs work too.

you can also get some bunker blocks & dry chum & fish for yellowtail & other snappers with 1/6 to 1/8 oz jig heads & live shrimp..Cut the head off the shrimp & put the hook of the jig head through the shrimp with the lead head were the shripm should be..Jut keep letting out line & let it sink ..

Great thanks for the info again Capt. Richie. We'll be using Live Shrimp for most of the backcountry/inshore stuff. We did exceptionally well on live shrimp and jigheads this past January down in a Mangrove right off Islamorada catching our limit of Mangrove Snappers easily in an hour or two... only this time we're gonna keep a few for the table ;)

16. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

A live crab would probably actually be a better bait for tarpon than a live mullet if you're sight casting to them but it's not Spring anymore. While there are a few resident tarpon around, the migration is done past (be there in April/May for the full onslaught).

17. JerseyBrian

A live crab would probably actually be a better bait for tarpon than a live mullet if you're sight casting to them but it's not Spring anymore. While there are a few resident tarpon around, the migration is done past (be there in April/May for the full onslaught).

Brian will be happy if anything takes his live shrimp or live crab :D

18. Outhouse

Outhouse Junior member

Key West is one of my fav places and I am not Gay. Checkout Key Limey if you need a charter. Tony Murphy is a relocated Brit and runs a top notch service. He won the ESPN shark tourney out of KW for the last two years. After you fish, take your catch to the Turtle Krawl and they will do wonders for it. By the way, get it blackened. WOW

19. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

and I am not Gay.

Just don't say you have a "wide stance", Sen. Larry Craig got in trouble with that combo... :D

20. redariel1

redariel1 Junior member

I fish Key West in my 27 Whaler Offshore. I prefer bottom fishing with a lot of chum and frequent moving. BTW...crabs work really well for grouper if you can get them to the bottom. . In general the water is clear and you will need fluoro carbon, quality lazor sharpened hooks and a good guide. There is some vertical jigging over the wrecks but most guides use live bait. It takes a while to be able to learn how to get live bait in quantity . While you work on that I would trya few different guides and see what each has. Be sure to tell them ahead of time you are bringing your own tackle, rods and reels. It's Key west and sometimes people take things for granted. Rob Trosset and Ralph Delph are nationnally known for a reason and so is Rob Delph. Capt Dave Esquinaldo on a 30 Ft SeeVee out of Sunset Marina..305-304-1820 really enjoys teaching and is a pleasure to fish with. He also works part time at Conchy Joes...an extensively stocked tackle shop on Roosevelt Blvd. Key West Marine Hardware..(los Cubanitos) can take care of both your fishing and boating needs.
    Of course have you catch cooked at Turtle Kraals at Key West Bight. . Also you can try Key West Fish house and for a change of pace...The Wyman restaurant across from sloppy Joes does a wonderful job. I realize this reply is late but the comments are valid currently.