Kevlar Assist cord

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by emorgan, Mar 4, 2009.

1. emorgan

emorgan Member

Hey guys where can I find some Kevlar assist cord in the #30,50 or 70? I have looked at the Anglers pro shop and they are all sold out of everything right now. Do any of you all know of anyone else in the States that might carry it, if so please let me know who. I need to make up some stingers for a tuna run. Any info would help.

Thanks, Emorgan

2. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

I know where some is like the owner monster stingers are made of.

3. masonboro

masonboro Senior Member

Check your local dive shop,a lot of scuba diver's use it to tether their speargun to the spear.That's where I get mine.

4. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

5. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

Jason,
    You got it yet ? How's the quality compared with the one I gave it to you ?

6. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

It's similar. But individual strands (12 strand weave) are abrasion resistance coated so it's a little stiffer and doesn't fray as easily. It's easy to pull a loop too becasue of coating.

It might be a tiny bit smaller diameter than the one you gave me, but very close. Not a big cost saving over your other source, but if nobody bids, it's only $12 shipped for 100', and my spool actually had closer to 120'. Not bad!

I thought about trying the 1/16" Vectran he has too. It's 580lb for same same size... But I think I have plenty for now! ;)

He also said that he may also have 1/32" that's ~200lb if anybody is interested in smaller diameter.

(Let me know if you run low... I will send you some loops to replace what you sent me, or will just bring some on next trip!)

7. ichibahn

ichibahn ** Pak Lurah **

Oh ok, I just want to know if that one better than I have.
    I'm good for now, I still have 3 spool of 100'.
    Thanks.

8. emorgan

emorgan Member

Spineyman,

Thanks for the help, it is much appreciated.

Emorgan

9. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

10. DanS

DanS Senior Member

Kevlar was one of the first high-strength fibers to be used in rope. It still offers high tensile strength and very low elongation, but has poor fatigue properties. The fibers inside the rope abrade each other, offering little indication of the reduced strength until the rope breaks. Kevlar has a very high melting point, 500 C or 932 °F. Kevlar-core ropes are sold as escape lines for firefighters - to be used once and discarded. Manufacturers have had some success at solving the self-abrasion problem by combining Kevlar with Spectra.

Technora, like Kevlar, is an aramid, but with vastly improved fatigue properties. It shares Kevlar's high tensile
    strength and high melting point.

Spectra is a very high molecular density form of polyethylene - the same thing used to make grocery bags, six-pack carriers and milk jugs. The manufacturing process aligns the molecules, which vastly increases the strength of the material. It is twice as strong as hardened steel (per unit area) and one-tenth the density. Spectra has several difficult issues. The melting point is very low, 147 C or 297 °F, not much warmer than boiling water. The material is unbelievably slippery, which makes it difficult for manufacturers to form into a workable rope. And, while the modulus of the fibers is comparable to steel, they slowly elongate under a continuous load. This process is called "creep." It is mostly irrelevant to climbers, but annoying to sailors. Spectra/Nylon is also known as Dyneema (a trade name of Beal Ropes) in Europe.

Vectran is a liquid crystal polymer - its properties are between those of crystalline solids and liquids. It has similar strength to Spectra, but without the creep problems. It has poor UV resistance, which is not a problem when used as the core in kernmantel rope construction.