Kevlar Assist Cord

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by lordhell, Dec 19, 2008.

1. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Hey guys,
    Other than APS, anywhere else I can get kevlar assist cord without having to order from overseas? They are out of the lower test cords, looking for 80, 100, and 150 lb test kevlar cord.

2. Bazztex

Bazztex Senior Member

3. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Hey Bazz, thanks for the links.

4. Bazztex

Bazztex Senior Member

I found a Kite String company in Canada that sells Kevlar Cord 50 to 200# test called "Lazer Line" in several colors including red. :D

TwinLine.org - Laser Line

5. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I found a Kite String company in Canada that sells Kevlar Cord 50 to 200# test called "Lazer Line" in several colors including red. :D

TwinLine.org - Laser Line

I saw some of those kevlar cords on ebay, i think they were for kites and model rockets. I considered using them, but you think they would be similar to assist cords in quality?

6. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

LH did you get ahold of the guy I gave you for kevlar cord?

7. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Not sure what the application is for such small assist cord... IF it is just for making assist hooks consider 2 things first:

1) Very small and limp cord has a higher tendancy of hook tangles on leader/rings/jig. (More hook movement is NOT a good thing)
    2) Cord that matches line/leader breaking strength will have to be replaced as soon as it's frayed. (which is very quickly) High test can be fished over and over and over without worry.

This is why 300-700lb like APS has is the norm. The 500lb is still small and good for free-swinging, vertical jigging, assist hooks. (Rubber jigs like Lucanus might need something a little smaller only because the cord has to fit through a small opening.)

Again, not sure of the reasons. But if it's just for making assist hooks for vertical jigging, use heavier cord. (AND add heatshrink to give more abrasion resistance and make it even stiffer.)

Jason

8. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

LH did you get ahold of the guy I gave you for kevlar cord?

yea man, i just ordered some 300 lb kevlar to try out, need to change out all my lucanus assists and make some new ones for flat side jigs. thanks dude!

9. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Not sure what the application is for such small assist cord... IF it is just for making assist hooks consider 2 things first:

1) Very small and limp cord has a higher tendancy of hook tangles on leader/rings/jig. (More hook movement is NOT a good thing)
    2) Cord that matches line/leader breaking strength will have to be replaced as soon as it's frayed. (which is very quickly) High test can be fished over and over and over without worry.

This is why 300-700lb like APS has is the norm. The 500lb is still small and good for free-swinging, vertical jigging, assist hooks. (Rubber jigs like Lucanus might need something a little smaller only because the cord has to fit through a small opening.)

Again, not sure of the reasons. But if it's just for making assist hooks for vertical jigging, use heavier cord. (AND add heatshrink to give more abrasion resistance and make it even stiffer.)

Jason

Thanks for the tips Jason. I needed the smaller dia. for lucanus jig assist replacement. I have 270 lb dyneema from APS for my standard jigs. I don't understand why shimano makes such small little hooks for the lucanus... :confused:

10. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

during shimanos research, they had a better hookup ratio with the smaller hooks. these are a copy of japanese jigs such as the madai and salty jig, they have even smaller hooks.

11. d-a

d-a Senior Member

during shimanos research, they had a better hookup ratio with the smaller hooks. these are a copy of japanese jigs such as the madai and salty jig, they have even smaller hooks.

You believe everything you read?

d-a

12. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

never said i believe it to be true, just stating what shimano proposes. big hooks, small hooks doesnt matter to me. the stock shimano lucanus hooks are better than the japanese versions for sure.

13. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

It has been my experience that the smaller hooks wrap around the jig and have less hook ups. I like the bigger hooks because if they wrap around the jig you can still hook the fish anyway.

14. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Changing out Lucanus hooks - Sport Fishing Forum

I saw your post on changing out the hooks Glen, but can't find those Shout assists anywhere cept from out of country. You think those owner dancing stinger assists in 3/0 short size will work?

15. gman

gman Senior Member

I saw your post on changing out the hooks Glen, but can't find those Shout assists anywhere cept from out of country. You think those owner dancing stinger assists in 3/0 short size will work?

any pre made assist with about an 1 1/2 length should work, pick up some assist cords and try maybe OTI

16. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Owner 180lb rigged assist fits pretty easily in Lucanus. (I posted these pix before but can't find the old link, so posting again.) A single 270-300lb might be ok too, but that Owner cord is so flat and thin, it's easier to get the knot to fit in the opening in the Lucanus jighead.

Doubt that it's needed, but I wanted 2 staggered hooks... I think these are 4/0 or 5/0 shorts. If you want to rig 2 of the single hooks too, just loop one loop onto the loop of the other assist cord. Then fish it in and loop that one to the ring. (Both loops on the solid ring won't seat properly into Lucanus head.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Thanks Jason/Glen for the illustrations. I'm gonna give the owner 5/0 shorts a try and see!