Kevlar Assist Cord.............Hmmmmm

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by John_Madison CT, Jun 28, 2009.

1. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

After two bluefish this past week, my Kevlar assist cord was nearly shot. it's the 300lb test variety. The name of the vendor escapes me right now, but it will come to me. Some shop in TX.

Most certainly one more fish and it would have given up.

I thought kevlar cord is supposed to be indestructable???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Eric the Red

Eric the Red Member

John, I had the same experience jigging on Stellwagen last summer. 240 pound assist cord(Owner) that the alligators simply shredded in no time when jigging. Even the chafes had some serious scarring! I think it had more to do with the blue's good sharing habits when it comes to bait dancing around the outside of your buddy's mouth.

3. d-a

d-a Senior Member

John if it was indestructible we wouldnt be able to cut it

d-a

4. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

John if it was indestructible we wouldnt be able to cut it

d-a

True. ..
    And when Shark bites Jig,
    Then Shark would not leave with hook in mouth.:(

But aleast returned jig is nice thing for shark to do...:)

5. Taz575

Taz575 Senior Member

Bluefish have sharp, nasty teeth! I got some of the 500# kevlar from APS. I had to replace the twisted yellow stuff I found online that they use for model rockets. It frayed w/o any fish?? Maybe the split ring frayed it??

6. John_Madison CT

OK D-A, you got me. Indestructable is too strong a word. I just thought the main reason we use Kevlar is because it's suppossed to hold up well to toothey fish.

No big deal. I still have 99.5 yards left on the spool, so I'll be using it for a long time.:rolleyes:

7. gman

gman Senior Member

OK D-A, you got me. Indestructable is too strong a word. I just thought the main reason we use Kevlar is because it's suppossed to hold up well to toothey fish.

No big deal. I still have 99.5 yards left on the spool, so I'll be using it for a long time.:rolleyes:

I was jigging off Cape Cod last week and the bluefish made absolute mockery of my kevlar. Ive caught cudas, and other toothy fish but for some reason those big chopper blues can put a hurtin on your cord

8. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

I was jigging off Cape Cod last week and the bluefish made absolute mockery of my kevlar. Ive caught cudas, and other toothy fish but for some reason those big chopper blues can put a hurtin on your cord

The year before last, taking a 12 pounder off, it shredded my left index finger to the bone. The bone stood up pretty well ... seems like that and wire are the only things they can't bite through.

9. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

It is amazing how fish can cut your line. King mackerel can cut your heavy leader line and you don't feel even a bump. :)

When I casted Ranger lures for roosterfish/cubera snapper in Panama. I had a hit and I thought the fish missed my hook. When I reeled in, I found the assist hook cord was cut in half and hook was gone.

10. John_Madison CT

I just thought differently. I was making my assist hooks with 300lb JB HCore and just changing it out when needed. Quite honestly, it seemed to last just as long.

I should experiment with different wire cable and small crimps.

11. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

If you use crimps, try to use heavy mono lines for assist hooks.
    Mono assist hooks become very popular in Korea for cod jigging because of success they have with them.

12. Van Wildonher

Van Wildonher Member

In my opinion (and some other peoples) wire leader is very bad when it comes to jigging. I don't know if it kills the action or what, but I tried some 90 lb test multi strand wire both in 6 inch, 1 foot, and 2 feet lengths and I got about 80 percent less hook ups than with fluorocarbon leader.

13. The Great PF

The Great PF Senior Member

I know that Owner sells wire dancing stingers, so I rigged up some using titanium. I'm going to Venice in 3 weeks, so I'll let you know how they work. I made sure that the loops attaching the wire to the jig and to the hooks float freely--better chance for a hookup.

14. Albiemanmike

Albiemanmike Senior Member

I had a small butterfly jig rigged with crimped multi strand assist hooks and the jig was useless. The assist hooks fouled on the jig everytime. This was given to me by a friend who rigged them that way and it just didn't work at all. I assume there is a trick to rigging them with wire but I looked over his rigging and it looked solid and couldn't find any discrepencies??? I know Owner now sells cabled assist hooks I wonder if those would work any better???

15. Atlantaking

Atlantaking Member

The big gator blues have sharp, triangular teeth with serrated edges that interlock, much like the cutting blades of the braided line shears. Short of wire (and they'll chew through light braided wire, too :eek: ), they'll chew through it. On the bright side, if there are bunches of chopper blues, they'll hit just about anything so no need to sacrifice a nice jig for one :p