Kenya March 3-13

Discussion in 'International reports' started by Brno375, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Brno375

Brno375 New Member

Hello all

I have booked my flight to Kenya, and am going with the sole intention of being a fish bum, bringing with me a 13-15 fly rod as well as a 60 lbs travel casting rod. I plan on booking a couple of days to go offshore in search of Sailfish, Marlin, and Swordfish, but I will also be looking to hire a panga (or whatever they are called locally) to troll inshore and do some jigging, as well as looking for places to cast from shore.

Places I am looking into are Lamu, Malindi, Watamu, Kilifi, and Shimoni. Any advice or recommendations on places, people, outfits, lures, setups, etc are appreciated. If you do not want to post publicly, send me a PM. This will be my first trip like this, chasing fish I have no experience fishing: marlin, sailfish, swordfish, spearfish, wahoo, kingfish, dorado, gt, amberjack, cobia,......A little overwhelming but I hope I can use lures and techniques that will crossover for most. And yes, I will be reading those sections of this site as well.

Thanks

Adam

2. blaasoppie

blaasoppie Senior Member

Adam,

Lamu has some excellent fishing; it has been many years since I have ben there, but we stayed on the West end of the island and early morning and late evening on the pushing tide we had unbelievable fishing off the beach on the ocean side. I caught many GT's and Kingfish off the side using Mirrorlures and poppers. You have to fish on the full tide, as the water goes out for miles at low tide.

The yellowfin tuna (football size) are so thick over there, just about 2 miles out...still the most tuna that I have ever seen in one place in my life. I imagine the jigging will be superb over there to. On the mainland the fishing is not that hot from the side, although I used to catch a lot of GT's off the rocks at the mouth of the creek at Kilifi in the early mornings using poppers.

Lamu will be your all round best bet is would say; I love that beach......still have that 20lb king burned into my memory smoking me on a Stella 3000.

Cheers,
    Blaas.

Brno375 likes this.

3. Brno375

Brno375 New Member

Blass,

Thank you very much for taking the time to give me the advice. I am looking forward to the trip and will report back when I return.

4. jungledan

jungledan Senior Member

,,,Heyy Brno375, how was your kenya trip?