Keeping yellowfin...

Discussion in 'Fish Species and Techniques' started by bnz, Aug 19, 2017.

1. bnz

bnz Just a guy who likes to fish

Making some plans to go after some yft in my 23' catamaran hull boat. I don't have any large under deck storage. What do you guys with boats use to keep your tuna in? I've got two 120 qt yeti style coolers but don't think they are in any way large enough to hold yft. Any ideas besides a larger cooler?

2. cchris

cchris Senior Member

A kill bag maybe. I've seen some for sale here and there on BD

bnz likes this.

3. Kim

Kim Senior Member

I use a 40 X 80 double tuna bag. Space is going to be your issue in transit and fishing. Having a hard top is great for stowage of bean bags and even fish bags if it's sturdy but they need to be secured properly for conditions.

4. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

Fish bags provide the best flexibility in my opinion as easy to store out of the way until needed yet can be purchased large enough for the biggest Tuna.

cchris likes this.
  5. Snaphappy

Snaphappy Senior Member

You can cut the heads off for more room too.

6. Marka

Marka Member

Bigger boat

Hammster likes this.
  7. HungryJack

HungryJack Member

Check the fed and your state regs if its ok,
    loin the tuna, bag the loins, ice in your coolers.

8. Bigcountry1219

Bigcountry1219 Active Member

All depends on the regulations. If you can take the head off, you can probably make them fit. If you can loin them out, even better.

If not, look into a tuna bag.

9. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

I know my igloo 150q will hold 2 50-ish# tunas, but I have to cut the tail off the top one

10. cchris

cchris Senior Member

Igloo 250 quarts, that’s the only way to roll, Alaskan style:)

JiggingAK likes this.
  11. cchris

cchris Senior Member

True

GARRIGA likes this.
  12. Kipi

Kipi Active Member

We always fillet tuna within about an hour of landing, depending on the amount of action on the water... Then straight into the freezer but in your case, the yeti coolers loaded with ice. Not sure if you guys have regulations about that tho.

13. photofishin

photofishin Member

Just a little curious about this as well. I've seen the number of tuna on party boats that are iced down immediately yet they don't seem to bleed/gut/remove the gills on these fish. Just wandering about the meat quality if proper cleaning/care isn't done until upwards of 10-15 hours later?

14. hyperman

hyperman Senior Member

Very old thread, i know, but this tidbit was not posted yet:
    step 1) go to https://hmspermits.noaa.gov/ to buy your highly migratory fisheries permit and read the rules, such as: """The recreational yellowfin tuna retention limit is 3/person/day or trip. The minimum size for yellowfin and bigeye tuna is 27" curved fork length. There are no recreational limits for bigeye, skipjack, or albacore tunas."""

bnz likes this.
  15. hyperman

hyperman Senior Member

found it:
    ""No person may remove the head of a bigeye tuna or yellowfin tuna if the remaining portion would be less than 27 inches"" before landing.

bnz likes this.
  16. DenisB

DenisB Senior Member

A lot of old info is still as good as it gets.................
    bleeding is best done while the fish's heart still beats ( but is brain dead).
    icing immediately without appropriate prep REDUCES the quality of the fish ( tuna's are warm blooded fish not cold blooded fish like most other fish & will shiver autogenously causing overheating of muscles in the core of the tuna)).
    icing options for optimim quality retention are :-
    - brain spike( ike-jimi ) cover with towel etc & run seawater over it until the fish starts to go into rigor( 40-60 min or so) ......then ice
    or
    - on landing , bleed , wad punch brain cavity, & spinal ream ( Tanaguichi method ) then ice immediately.
    gutting later is not particularly detrimental to fish quality............the only issue is if its done after fish goes into rigor, the stretching of the stomach walls during gutting causes flesh connective tissue to split ( miware ).

A search of "tuna prep" on 360 T will more fully explain the issues of tuna physiology that we as anglers need to be aware of to maximise the quality of tuna we consume.
    FWIW

lite-liner likes this.
  17. photofishin

photofishin Member

thanks...I imagine none of that is done by mates on party boats, so you kinda get what you get I imagine.

18. GARRIGA

GARRIGA Senior Member

On a hot bite, I doubt any mate has time to properly prep the take. There’s always a grey area between optimal and practical.

19. J-Philla

J-Philla Senior Member

all the partyboats ive ever been on always bleed fish and chill kill before boxing for the ride home. most if not every fish is usually perfect in quality of meat.