Karen Lynn Charters Giant Tuna Video !!!

Discussion in '360 Degrees Lounge' started by Karen Lynn Charters, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Karen Lynn Charters

Karen Lynn Charters Junior member

Here is some Giant Tuna footage from a great day fishing on the bank. You have to love those rough water days. The fish sure do seem to chew. High hopes for the 2009 season. The Karen Lynn will be in the water early April. Just in time for the cod opening on the Bank. April and May have always been great times to groundfish on Stellwagon. The fish are up in the shoal water getting there feedbag on before moving to deeper water. Call or visit our website to book your trip for the 2009 season. Call or send us a e-mail with any questions at all. Thanks
    Capt Collin and Capt Jim
    Karen Lynn Charters: Gloucester Bluefin Tuna, Striped Bass, Shark and Offshore Charters

***Make sure you click on high quality in the lower right hand corner on the You Tube clip.YouTube - Two Giant Bluefin Tuna, Gloucester Mass, Karen Lynn Charters YouTube - Two Giant Bluefin Tuna, Gloucester Mass, Karen Lynn Charters

2. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Do you guys always fight the fish with the rods in the rod holders. I had a charter captian tell me that we would fight the fish from the holders once.
    I told him we could turn around and go back to the dock.
    He let me take them out after that...

3. Karen Lynn Charters

For the Giants yes we always fish out of the swivel base rod holder. Not on the smaller fish all stand up. But come on down I will gladly hook you into a Giant stand up. You might appreciate the swivel base rod holder a little more. After a long fight strapped into a Giant. I would'nt might trying to fight one stand up but for now stick to what works. Thanks
    Capt Collin
    www.karenlyncharters.com

4. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware they were swivel rod holders. What I was talking about was standard rod holders that lock into the gimbal.

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Who keep a giant ?
    Capt or customers ?

6. Karen Lynn Charters

Who keep a giant ?
    Capt or customers ?
    A chartered trip that lands a giant tuna will get thier next charter for free. The law states a Bluefin Tuna over 73" is the boats property. Thanks
    Capt Collin
    www.karenlynncharters.com

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

A chartered trip that lands a giant tuna will get thier next charter for free. The law states a Bluefin Tuna over 73" is the boats property. Thanks
    Capt Collin
    How about the first tuna caught on a charter. Charter boat can keep one giant once a year.

8. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

How about ownership of the second giant tuna?

9. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Jerry, giant usually belong to the Capt, not customers in Cape Cod unless you have a special arrangement with the boat. that is why I asked about the policy. Some boats give free trip, some boats give 1/3 of proceeds of tuna sale , and most boats keep fish and don't give anything to customers.

10. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I think I'd rather take the 1/3 of tuna sale.

11. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I think I'd rather take the 1/3 of tuna sale.
    No kidding. A giant bluefin can go for god knows how much.
    This reminds me of Hawaii. When we fished in Kauai all of the charters we checked with said they keep all of the fish. They sell it to the fish market. They gave me enough to make a meal and that was it. To me it seems if it goes against my limit then it is my fish. If the captain wants the meat they can buy it from me, offer me a free trip or let me take my fish. I did catch a lot of tuna in Kauai. Not that I could have brought the fish home but I was a little irritated that I could'nt eat my own sashimi the rest of the time I was there.

12. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

How about the first tuna caught on a charter. Charter boat can keep one giant once a year.

Kil, if I read correctly the boat is only allowed to keep one per year, that is why I asked about the "second" one.

13. ember

ember Guest

If you would like to keep bluefin around here(cape cod) on a charter boat,I'm sure its no problem at all.I cant speak for Karen Lynn,but smalls and mediums cannot be sold by the boat,and almost universally would kept by the angler if he or she so desires.A 150 lb fish makes for PLENTY of sushi.Clean out your freezer before you go. As far as a giant BFT going for God knows how much, I dont know much about the charter game,but I've had the misfortune to do a fair bit of rod and reeling for cash,and believe me,financially,it reads better than it lives.

14. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil, if I read correctly the boat is only allowed to keep one per year, that is why I asked about the "second" one.
    that is a recreational limit. All tuna charter boats in Cape Cod also have commercial permit. they can choose between recreational limit and commercial limit. The commercial limit for giant was three per boat a day last year.

It is a smart move by a charter boat for giant as they can keep fish if they catch and also they still can make money even they don't catch any giant. :)

15. ember

ember Guest

A charter boat has the unique distinction of being either a recreational vessel( can keep fish under 73 for personal consumption plus 1 trophy over 73 per year) or a commercial vessel (can sell fish over 73 but cant keep fish under 73) depending on the first fish caught on a particular day. edited to add...Sorry,typing at the same time.....

16. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

A charter boat has the unique distinction of being either a recreational vessel( can keep fish under 73 for personal consumption plus 1 trophy over 73 per year) or a commercial vessel (can sell fish over 73 but cant keep fish under 73) depending on the first fish caught on a particular day. edited to add...Sorry,typing at the same time.....

If acting as a charter does that "1 trophy" belong to the boat or the fisherman?

17. ember

ember Guest

If acting as a charter does that "1 trophy" belong to the boat or the fisherman?
    I would guess the skipper of the charter would not be considering it a "trophy" but a saleable fish. Going back a couple of years or a decade,all boats could either keep smalls OR sell mediums and giants,but not both on the same trip.It was common to see alot of boats trolling east of Chatham with one or two dead little ones cleated off,to be cut loose if one hooked up with a commercial fish. A shameful waste to say the least.

18. ember

ember Guest

Going back a couple of years or a decade,
    Cripes,now that I think about it,it was probably 20 years :eek:

19. Karen Lynn Charters

Cripes,now that I think about it,it was probably 20 years :eek:

Yes it is a very interesting subject for sure. Like you guys were saying we are a commercial vessel as well. We can keep both small tuna and giants. You have to choose one or the other for the day. If you have a small fish on board below 73" you then can not keep a tuna above 73". The law states a commercial boat with a fish over 73" is the property of the boat. Well I did not write the law but that's how it goes. Tough to understand for a charter that just caught a giant. In my perspective catching a Giant Bluefin Tuna is something you will never forget. A very tough feat to accomplish especially these days. You walk away with a memory of a lifetime, and hey maybe next time you come back you can do it again for free. Thanks
    Capt Collin