JX with no freespool always in gear

Discussion in 'Reel Repair' started by fishr1989, Mar 25, 2008.

1. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

I took apart my JX today to clean it and grease the drag washer, and when I went to put it back together, there was no longer any freespool. The drag was engaging as soon as i put the preset knob back on and tightened it down. even when the lever is in the FREE position, turning the handle turns the spool as well. it's strange because I can still move the lever through all the positions from free to strike and full, but there is no freespool, just a constantly engaged drag.

2. papio

papio Senior Member

did you put everything back correctly? ummmm???....get rid of it. i dumped the two that i owned and i didn't even have to take them apart hehehe.

3. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

i think it has something to do with the preset knob I'm going to fiddle with that and then maybe call avet to see if i can send it to them if i cant fix it myself

4. shanker

shanker Senior Member

It definately has everything to do w/ the preset knob...fiddle with it and you'll figure it out.

5. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

When you pull the preset knob off, and remove the drag lever, there is a bushing (?) that fits underneath it. You will see several notches in it, they correspond to posts sticking out of the lever drag axel. What's happened is you've reassembled it with the posts in the wrong notch, just disassemble, and move them around some, you'll figure it out.

You've certainly not broken it, and it's an easy fix.

6. mikew

mikew SPONSOR

Sea Crappie is right on.

7. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

Yep, what they said. I found this out the first time I did my SX
    pretty easy once you figure it out.
    -B