JX or narrow POR 30

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by 6x6, Jul 10, 2007.

1. 6x6

6x6 Guest

I have just received new 600g OTI jigging rod & ill be using it next week on the BIG E 52hr .The dilemma is will my JX buttoned down to 20# of drag handle AMBERJACK & GROUPER at the rigs ? or should I use the PRO 30 it is heavy but lots of drag. The two reels are filed with 130# spectra is 80# mono-flor.top shots heavy enuf line to jigging around rigs.:confused:

2. DeepBlueGulf

DeepBlueGulf Senior Member

My humble opinion is if the Aj's and Grouper are small you'll be o.k., but if you hook anything over 40lbs in the AJ class you might be undergunned. I can't imagine jigging with a Pro 30 though.

If you have a buddy with a Hoo-X, borrow it, but be ready to buy him a new one if it gets pulled out of your hands and into the drink! LOL!

Good Luck on the trip, and make sure to post up some pictures and a good report! Wish I was going! If you get the chance, talk to Capt. Frank about the Big E being sold, would like to know how things are going with that and when it will be gone.

Tom - DeepBlueGulf

3. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

I caught a AJ over 40lbs on a jX and it worked great. I wouldnt want anything heavier jigging....

4. Snagged

Snagged Senior Member

You hunting dangerous game with a pea shooter with the JX.