360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked one up with a Nikor 18-55mm AF-S lens and I can't wait to get it in my hands on it! It's my first dip into the "D-SLR" world so I decided to go with a easy-to-use model as many reviews say most beginners can take great pics with the Auto-Mode right out of the box :) that's me.

I was wondering if any one has this camera or the D40 and have any helpful hints of advice or words of wisdom to share with me :)

Apparently the D40/D40x bodies do not have an AF motor so the lens I purchase must have their own motor for Auto Focus to operate correctly (AF-S or AF-I lenses) *where you can manually adjust after AF*.

I'm looking at purchasing either a 55-200mm or 70-300mm lens as well.

great...another hobby I can pour money into :p

·
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Get a BIG, fast storage card. Min 4Gb.
- Check!

I've got two 16GB SDHC Class 10 cards already for the job ;)

·
12 Posts
I've got an older Olympus DSLR (model 500) but recently started the HD video thing (a Creative VadoHD). I bought a mini-mount and put it on the T-top to catch up to 2 hrs of fishing. If lucky catching.

·
12 Posts
Other than the storage card, backup (charged) battery (s). If it is cold they lose charge rather quickly.

·
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've got an older Olympus DSLR (model 500) but recently started the HD video thing (a Creative VadoHD). I bought a mini-mount and put it on the T-top to catch up to 2 hrs of fishing. If lucky catching.
That's a pretty sweet setup right there! I still got my Point and Shoot Canon with video capabilities which I'm fine with :p

Other than the storage card, backup (charged) battery (s). If it is cold they lose charge rather quickly.
Nice to know about the temps and battery life! The D-SLR package I purchased came with 2 batteries so I'm happy I have a spare now.

·
-- Tackle Ho --
2,784 Posts
Brian, pick a kind of photo you want to take, personally I like wide angle, you capture many things, especially on a boat you can get the whole boat. I have the Nikon D200 nice camera but camera is as good as the person taking it.

I bet Mark can take a better photo than anyone else here with a disposable camera! Well, better than myself anyways. :D

·
2,835 Posts
I was wondering if any one has this camera or the D40 and have any helpful hints of advice or words of wisdom to share with me :)

Don't walk on a boat, hand your brand new unused D40 to the deckhand wrapped in a T-shirt and find out later that he thought it was bait and put it in the bait bucket.
That's what happened to my brand new D40 a couple of years ago. :mad:

I'll never forget that moment. I wanted to take a few pics and couldn't find the camera. When I asked the deckhand where he put it, his face turned red and he pointed towards the bait bucket which was full of ballyhoo, ribbon fish and squid. Well to make a long story short, the camera had been sitting there for over five hours and all that slime and saltwater brine turned it into toast.

A friend of mine, thought it was funny, and suggested I use it for a sinker when we went bottom fishing later that afternoon. After I calmed down, I followed his advise and sent it to bottom with a live bait. On the bright side, it got to pound the head of a couple AJ's that day. That D40 never took a single picture.:mad:

One the ride back to the dock, the ruined D40 was sacrificed to the rooster tail of the wake never to be seen again.:eek:

·
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tamron 18-270mm Di-II VC.
Is not the best lens but is good all around lens for what are we doing :)
haha, I can't go THAT $$$ man... I'm looking at a Nikor 55-200mm AF-S lens for about $180, a Fish Eye for $40 and a SB-400 Flash for $115

check out this guys reviews. very professional and lost of good info.
KenRockwell.com
yea I definitely checked him out before I but the bullet, but still think I should have gotten the D40 instead of the D40x (ISO200 vs ISO100)

Brian, pick a kind of photo you want to take, personally I like wide angle, you capture many things, especially on a boat you can get the whole boat. I have the Nikon D200 nice camera but camera is as good as the person taking it.

I bet Mark can take a better photo than anyone else here with a disposable camera! Well, better than myself anyways. :D
That's exactly what my photographer buddy said too :p

Mr. Bill - that sucks :(

·
32 Posts
D40x is a good choice for daily use. What's you need for the extra lens. Because the sensor of D40 is 1.5x not a full frame. So if you use 55-200mm it will become a regular SLR 80-300mm lens.

·
** Pak Lurah **
1,077 Posts
haha, I can't go THAT $$$ man... I'm looking at a Nikor 55-200mm AF-S lens for about $180, a Fish Eye for $40 and a SB-400 Flash for $115
(
Do you mean $40 for Fish-eye lens on ebay ? Is junk !
Don't waste your money on that lens.
Real fish-eye lens is cost $$$

11-16mm Tokina wide-angle lens is wide enough for taking picture on the boat :)

·
1,057 Posts
Hey brian, if you have any questions on Nikon cameras or DSLR photography in general, send me a message. I have a D90, D200, and D2H. if you're ever in NC, maybe you can play around with them too!

·
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do you mean $40 for Fish-eye lens on ebay ? Is junk !
Don't waste your money on that lens.
Real fish-eye lens is cost $$$

11-16mm Tokina wide-angle lens is wide enough for taking picture on the boat :)
LOL! Thanks for letting me know! Looks like there are used ones for about $300 on ebay...time to save up for that one..

Hey brian, if you have any questions on Nikon cameras or DSLR photography in general, send me a message. I have a D90, D200, and D2H. if you're ever in NC, maybe you can play around with them too!
Thank you very much! I definitely will have TONS of questions...just in time :) And thank you for the book rec.!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts