Just ordered my custom OTI popper from Paul!

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by JerseyBrian, Apr 20, 2008.

1. JerseyBrian

JerseyBrian Senior Member

Went over to Paul's house today and had a great time pulling on some blanks and completed rods. I've ordered a custom OTI 50lb 7.5 ft popping rod for topwater tuna which should be finished right before the topwater BFT bite starts up in MA. I'm hoping to use it for some GOM YFT at some point as well; maybe not this year though.

I took a look at probably 10-12 rods and LOVED his custom spinner with roller guides. The tip is super soft for popping and jigging, but I'm hoping we can find a lighter blank that has a comparable tip action for my version ;)

Paul's GUSA dragon is just insane. Titanium roller guides...this rod is as light as a light tackle trout rod The rod has a GREAT bend to it as well, but enough backbone to slay some big ones. A trolling/chunking dream rod. It belongs in a museum behind 4" thick glass

Took the custom spinner with the roller guides as well as a GUSA Wahoo Jr rod outside and played with some weights Couldn't find a lot to use so we ended up with 10-12lbs...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Had a great time Paul. When I come to pick up the rod, I'll have to pick up some poppers and jigs...and put a deposit down on that roller/spinner :D

2. ahistick

ahistick Senior Member

Great rods there especially that roller spinner! Paul, is that a Wahoo with the red/yellow/green wraps?

3. JerseyBrian

Great rods there especially that roller spinner! Paul, is that a Wahoo with the red/yellow/green wraps?
    Hey Gil. That spinner is BAD ;) And yes, that was an acid wrapped GUSA wahoo jr. I definitely want to get a lamiglas rod for inshore stuff made with an acid wrap...the one I held was real light and good bend to the ground with enough backbone to hold it. I liked it

4. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

yeah its the wahoo jr. its the one i had / have for sale.
    i was looking to get 300 ..normaly goes about 4, with fuji Sic guides

the roller spinner is pretty neat, cast pretty well also

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

brian - did you see my green rod? :)

6. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

brian - did you see my green rod? :)
    i think he was in shock, and having fun:D
    he wasnt sure where to look:D :D

7. JerseyBrian

i think he was in shock, and having fun:D
    he wasnt sure where to look:D :D
    yea, that pretty much sums it up :p But I did not see an Eagles rod. I did see an amazing looking rod that just had a layer of epoxy drying. SUPER smooth like a hot chick's ass.

8. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

yea, that pretty much sums it up :p But I did not see an Eagles rod. I did see an amazing looking rod that just had a layer of epoxy drying. SUPER smooth like a hot chick's ass.
    eagles. to the left of the honey lami's :D

9. gman

gman Senior Member

SUPER smooth like a hot chick's ass.

see its true you are sexy attracted to rods lol

10. gman

gman Senior Member

C'mon Paul take a picture and post it for the Eagles fan, he has to have some reason to look forward to this season ouch, low blow

11. JerseyBrian

Damn, I thought that area was all blanks :mad: :p Sorry for not looking harder Bret :eek:

see its true you are sexy attracted to rods lol
    haha, you don't know how bad I wanted to fish after pulling on all those rods at Paul's house. It was a very "un-climactic" sunday; especially after putting down the money on a rod and leaving without a rod :D However, if should be good to go for BFT season with Capt. Rich!

12. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

next one will be a phillies theme, so as to balance out the wins and losses :)

13. JerseyBrian

next one will be a phillies theme, so as to balance out the wins and losses :)
    I'm thinking of getting my friend (who came with me to Paul's) an inshore lami made from Paul with a Flyers color scheme for his birthday :) Black blank and orange foam grips would be cool, but I don't think they make an orange :p

14. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

or flyers colors:D

like trick or treat

each guide has a different wrap
    the captains birthday was halloween..he loved it

Attached Files:

15. JerseyBrian

or flyers colors:D

like trick or treat

each guide has a different wrap
    the captains birthday was halloween..he loved it

That looks great Paul! If I was going to get one for my friend, I would want a little bit of white in there too, but man that looks killer.

16. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

that wrap will look sweet;)
    cant wait;)

17. JerseyBrian

that wrap will look sweet;)
    cant wait;)
    we could use the same Lamiglas blank that I was holding outside (the black, finished one you said was for deepwater fluke, tog also could use as a striper rod....I think it either had green or blue threads/wrap..). That was very light, had a SUPER bend...I loved it. I know he would too. ;) We have time...his bday is in the fall. I'm too busy buying for myself right now lol...