John Baker

Discussion in 'Reels' started by YMMV, Jun 3, 2009.

1. YMMV

YMMV Senior Member

Well. Figured I would put up some pics and thoughts of my JB4. Its' pretty similar to a Saltiga 30T in size. Its def a heavier reel in my opinion. I would say its around the 30oz mark with line on it. I was able to squeeze on 300yrds of 80# JB hollow on it. There isn't much room for a top shot at all. Actually, I don't even think I can get a 65# leader on it w/o taking line off. Due to the double dogs, it does make a clicking sound when cranking the reel. I can also say it gets louder the more drag you crank down on. I don't think the back play in the handle is too much but I think it comes down to dealing with the clicking noise. I feel the handle is pretty comfy but some weight can be saved if you swap handles on it. I think the reel is more suited and feels better as a light weight chunking reel. I have not landed any fish with it but I sure hope I do soon!

Here are some pics of it comparing the sizes to a Saltiga 30T and OJ4000P

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jureal

jureal Senior Member

I spoke to John Baker at the Fred Hall Show this March and asked him if he could cut off some weight from his reels. The answer was a very definitive "NO". Not without affecting the overall strength of the reel. It is a nice reel though and hope you catch some nice fish with it.

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I spoke to John Baker at the Fred Hall Show this March and asked him if he could cut off some weight from his reels. The answer was a very definitive "NO". Not without affecting the overall strength of the reel. It is a nice reel though and hope you catch some nice fish with it.
    The reel is designed for bait fishing in mind, but for jigging as John Baker is a life time bait fisherman in California.

4. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

thanks for the pictuers sinclair.

I'm down with the OJ4000P. Trying to get the right setup that includes a custom acip wrap.

Ty and I are ready to make the decision!

5. YMMV

YMMV Senior Member

I'm down with the OJ4000P. Trying to get the right setup that includes a custom acip wrap.

No prob. :)

I can't wait to use my OJ this year.

I think Ty may need more time lol.

Look forward to hitting the water with you guys.

6. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

ty was here about a year ago.. we went thru a few hours of fittings, pulling on blanks, checking all the different guides. all the cool parts avail..wrote up the specs..
    i know he is getting close to his dream rod,
    and it is badass.

i am finishing sinclairs next 2 sweet rods now..
    and one KILLER..jigger for a friend;)

7. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Hey guys (Enoch, Sinclair, Paul), thanks for the mention.

Sinclair:
    Nice reel review. Thanks for posting it.

Paul:
    Yes, last fall I was ready to get a custom spiral rod, but some medical things reared its ugly head that put my fishing on hold for a while. Now I am back and ready to go!!! Enoch and I are planning a Bluefin Tuna trip for July out of Cape May NJ.

Sinclair:
    Thanks for letting me check out your John Baker 4 reel last weekend. It was a pleasure meeting you and your buddy. The JB4 is nice compact tank of a reel, which will be great for chunking, but maybe not so good at speed jigging (the clicking noise would drive me crazy).

Also, thanks for letting me checkout the Ocea Jigger 4000P, its even nicer looking than I thought. I love the handle and the narrow design, and the gun metal grey rocks! Oh and least I forget your Hopper 500g as compared to my Hopper 600g is much easier to handle with a more sensitive tip, yet still have the backbone (nice rod for the money). I should have gotten the 500g instead of the 600g, but bigger is always better, right? LoL

So now I can remove the JB4 from my list. Now I am leaning more towards the Ocea Jigger 4000P. Long shots include the Torque 200, Accurate BX2-600N, or Gorilla 12C.

Peace!
    Ty

8. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Ty,

Good response! I feel like I'm tutorial that's from some of these guys that we consider "elite" or pros. lol

Ocea Jigger 4000P gets my nod. I think PE-6 will be fine when it comes to capacity and strength right?
    PE-8 Daiwa boat braid might just be "too much" and capacity will become a problem.
    If we tackle 150lb bluefin tuna, does anyone feel uncomfortable with PE-6?

Let's put that question out there to others can chime in...

9. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

Sinclair:

Paul:
    Yes, last fall I was ready to get a custom spiral rod, but some medical things reared its ugly head that put my fishing on hold for a while. Now I am back and ready to go!!! Enoch and I are planning a Bluefin Tuna trip for July out of Cape May NJ.

Sinclair:
    Thanks for letting me check out your John Baker 4 reel last weekend. It was a pleasure meeting you and your buddy. The JB4 is nice compact tank of a reel, which will be great for chunking, but maybe not so good at speed jigging (the clicking noise would drive me crazy).

Also, thanks for letting me checkout the Ocea Jigger 4000P, its even nicer looking than I thought. I love the handle and the narrow design, and the gun metal grey rocks! Oh and least I forget your Hopper 500g as compared to my Hopper 600g is much easier to handle with a more sensitive tip, yet still have the backbone (nice rod for the money). I should have gotten the 500g instead of the 600g, but bigger is always better, right? LoL

So now I can remove the JB4 from my list. Now I am leaning more towards the Ocea Jigger 4000P. Long shots include the Torque 200, Accurate BX2-600N, or Gorilla 12C.

Peace!
    Ty
    Ty, hope all is well now.
    you will like the acid rods.
    we have trip june, july, and until the fish leave.
    i think sinclair will be on a few with his buddy.
    you are welcome to join.
    we are always looking for a few good guys.

10. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

you are welcome to join.

Paul,

Thanks for the well wishes. Lets just say for now the biopsies (five was enough) are done and the healing has begun (fingers crossed).

I might also be planning a trip with Sinclair down in Wilmington NC. We will see how it all shakes out. All I know is I am looking to do some serious jigging this year!

Ty

11. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

The reel is designed for bait fishing in mind, but for jigging as John Baker is a life time bait fisherman in California.

Kil,

Thanks. That makes total sense. Now that I have seen the reel in person I see how its not suitable for jigging.

Ty

12. YMMV

YMMV Senior Member

Ty,

Good response! I feel like I'm tutorial that's from some of these guys that we consider "elite" or pros. lol

Ocea Jigger 4000P gets my nod. I think PE-6 will be fine when it comes to capacity and strength right?
    PE-8 Daiwa boat braid might just be "too much" and capacity will become a problem.
    If we tackle 150lb bluefin tuna, does anyone feel uncomfortable with PE-6?

Let's put that question out there to others can chime in...

On my OJ4000P, I spooled it with 80# Daiwa boat braid. I didn't use any backing since the spool has a tie off on it. With about 6lbs of drag pressure, I got the whole spool of 330 yards on it. I still have about a little more then 1/4" till the top of the spool. Plenty of room for the flouro.

13. YMMV

YMMV Senior Member

Sinclair:

Paul:

Sinclair:

Peace!
    Ty

Any time Ty. Its all about helping each other.

14. YMMV

YMMV Senior Member

you are welcome to join.

Absolutely. Always looking to fish and having a good time.

15. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i had 360yds of OTI 80lb on the OJ 4000P with some room. I think 400yds of OTI 80lb can fit onto the reel if packed tight.

16. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

On my OJ4000P, I spooled it with 80# Daiwa boat braid. I didn't use any backing since the spool has a tie off on it. With about 6lbs of drag pressure, I got the whole spool of 330 yards on it. I still have about a little more then 1/4" till the top of the spool. Plenty of room for the flouro.

Sinclair,

I think Daiwa PE6 is rated at 80#. So it would appear the OJ4000P will hold plenty of 80# line for the Bluefin we will likely encounter out of Cape May NJ.

Ty

17. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Sinclair,

I think Daiwa PE6 is rated at 80#. So it would appear the OJ4000P will hold plenty of 80# line for the Bluefin we will likely encounter out of Cape May NJ.

Ty

BFT are in cape cod. Kil's report of black rose managing a 200+ bft landed out of stellwagen yesterday is a great beginning season sign. This season is gonna be goooooood :)

18. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Sinclair, I would have like to meet you with Ty. perhaps you can make it down on one of our 4 scheduled trips this year season. :D

19. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

BFT are in cape cod. Kil's report of black rose managing a 200+ bft landed out of stellwagen yesterday is a great beginning season sign. This season is gonna be goooooood :)

Enroch, sorry I can not meet you today. I have to go the airport twice in the afternoon as my families are arriving.
    It is all tuna fishing from next week. I don't care and I don't mind driving to Virginia or to Cape Cod in search of bluefin on jig and popper. I go tuna fishing at least once a week until Nov. You are welcome to join me.

20. stresst

stresst Senior Member

Is JBaker "caught" up yet ?? I want a 4 but dont wanna wait four months.