joe miller knot

Discussion in 'Tackle and Rigging' started by harvman, Nov 9, 2008.

1. harvman

harvman Junior member

Does anyone use the joe miller knot? Would like to know if its worth learning. Seems to be a very small knot just wondering how strong it is?

2. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

3. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

4. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

I have used this knot a few times. Funny, in the video he says " it is so easy to cinch down."
    I have actually had a hard time cinching any mono over about 130#...
    I think it is a stong knot when it is tied right and cinched down.

5. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

Does anyone use the joe miller knot? Would like to know if its worth learning. Seems to be a very small knot just wondering how strong it is?

Not sure about this one, it seems a little involved.

There is a knot at the bottom of this link that I have used for 5 years for 80#+ mono and fluorocarbon. It is like a Jansik knot except it is only two turns. The Japanese call it a Ryo-shi.

It is very easy to tie and very strong. It wastes little leader material. I leave the tag a little long and don't tie the uni that they mention. Lubricate it well and pull it up to 50% of the breaking strength of the line and it will hold.

I found this knot when looking for something to tie in 100# mono. I have tested it to breaking several times and get an honest 80%, 80lb test breaks at about 65#. Of course a Bimini would be better, if you like Biminis, I do.

How to make SIG knot