JM Power T-bar handle and round knob

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Aug 10, 2009.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

JM Power T-bar handle and round knob have been popular for years.
    I used JM T-bar handles for a couple of years before I became a dealer of JM.
    When I opened my shop and became a dealer of JM last year, I am more impressed with JM products. I realized JM guys are very innovative and perfectionists.
    I saw Goosetackle comes up with nice custom handles with reasonable prices.
    That is a good news for fishermen as most custom handles made in the US are not acceptable, especially for jig fishermen.

JM handles are not cheap, but I realizd there is always good demand of high quality products even with higher prices after I opened my shop.

The problem I faced was I don't know anything about mechanism of reels and parts. :) When asked how to install JM power handles, I had no clue at all.
    With the help from my friend, I can take pictures how to install JM handles to different reels.
    I am going to post pictures of installation of JM handles and knobs one by one.

First, I'll start with JM power T-bar handles for Stella SW (6000 - 20000)

[​IMG]

You can get ball bearing on the left from the reel and JM provides another ball bearing on the right. with two ball bearings in the handle, turning handle is super smooth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The JM handle model shown above is LT81. You need special long shaft for Stella SW.

2. wadefisherman

wadefisherman Tuna Club Member

Will this hanle t bar fit the sw1000k? Do I need to order a special long shaft for my stella?

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Will this hanle t bar fit the sw1000k? Do I need to order a special long shaft for my stella?
    I didn't try with 10000SW, but JM assured it fit from 6000 to 20000.
    The special long outer shaft is included.

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I made a special order for TN40 as it requires special shaft and some parts. I finally figure out how to install. It fits to Torsa reel as TN40 and Torsa use exactly same handles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ball bearing on the left comes from TN reel and JM provides other parts including another ball bearing shown on the right.
    LT61 model is used for the picture.

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Kil , do you have the shaft for the stella 20000FA
    Yes, I have them. In fact the shafts are same for FA model and SW model, but they use different parts inside shaft.

6. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

How about fitting an 8000 Saragoosa?

7. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Good job on photos Kil, A picture is worth a thousand words.

JM handles are a very nice addition to many reels.

My two fit and fish fine on Saltiga 30T & 40.

Kev

8. egluck

egluck Senior Member

I used to get bad blisters from jigging with my Saltiga 50 but I got a JM Power handle from Kil Song and now the grip is so much more comfortable; no more blisters! Plus it makes the reel look great!

Some time soon I want to purchase another one for my smaller saltist reel too.

9. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

How about fitting an 8000 Saragoosa?
    I'll find out. It is interesting Stella 2000FA's handle fit to Sagagosa 18000F's.

10. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I'll find out. It is interesting Stella 2000FA's handle fit to Sagagosa 18000F's.

Kil, your PM box is full, lol! :)

11. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Yes kil ur pm its full:D
    Full already ?? Sorry about it.

12. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Here is a picture of Saragosa 18000F with JM LT61 handle.
    The installation is pretty easy by using special long shaft for Shimano reels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is for installation of old Stella 20000SW model with JM LT61 model.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you see in the pictures above, Shimon use a ball bearing at the bottom of inner shaft for Stella model, but they use a fixed ring for Saragosa 18000F. It is much smoother with two bearings instead of one bearing in the shaft.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Let me clarify a couple of things. The shaft that comes on the stock Stella does not have to come off. It stays on the handle. The JM parts fit over the stock shaft. The stock rubber knob has two ball bearings inside it. You use one of the stock bearings and the other one supplied by JM. Hope this makes sense.

In the diagram below, you will see the stock Stella SW parts. The stock parts are identified and are in the order taken off. The JM knobs are very nice and should be a great replacement for 95% of all anglers. However, some of us need even bigger options.:eek:

Removing the stock shaft on the Stella is a real PITA. No need to do it unless you are looking for extra large knobs and like to machine out other larger stainless steel shafts and use different ball bearings altogether.:eek:

Attached Files:

14. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I also have a lot more handles to replace. What's a man to do?

Attached Files:

15. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

So I just got the JM handle in the mail.

If you look at Kilsongs original post, it shows that the shaft on the crank arm has a male thread pattern.
    If you look at MrBills post, it shows the shaft having a female thread. Has anyone else experienced these differences?

The JM setup will not fit on the shaft with the parts I received. Now I am not sure if i can get parts to make this work correctly. It seems that if the Jm shaft were slightly shorter, the factory retainer screw would hold it in place. The shaft that I have will not allow the screw to reach the threads.

I'll take a few pics after dinner. Just wondered if anyone else had had this problem...

16. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

So I just got the JM handle in the mail.

If you look at Kilsongs original post, it shows that the shaft on the crank arm has a male thread pattern.
    If you look at MrBills post, it shows the shaft having a female thread. Has anyone else experienced these differences?

The JM setup will not fit on the shaft with the parts I received. Now I am not sure if i can get parts to make this work correctly. It seems that if the Jm shaft were slightly shorter, the factory retainer screw would hold it in place. The shaft that I have will not allow the screw to reach the threads.

I'll take a few pics after dinner. Just wondered if anyone else had had this problem...
    Special K. I was going to contact you. I found I didn't ship you the silver thread shown below. I am going to let my reel man do it again tonight to make sure before I sent it to you tomorrow.

[​IMG]

17. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Special K. I was going to contact you. I found I didn't ship you the silver thread shown below. I'll mail it tomorrow morning.
    Silver thread? Not sure what you mean... Is there a shaft extension or something?

Here are the pics..

First picture shows the bare shaft.

Second shows the shimano shaft not reaching through the JM shaft/sleeve.

Third picture show side by side.

Attached Files:

• 111.jpg
      111.jpg
      File size:
      80.9 KB
      Views:
    • 333.jpg
      333.jpg
      File size:
      19.9 KB
      Views:
    • 222.jpg
      222.jpg
      File size:
      56.7 KB
      Views:
  18. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Special K. I was going to contact you. I found I didn't ship you the silver thread shown below. I am going to let my reel man do it again tonight to make sure before I sent it to you tomorrow.

[​IMG]

Ok I see. I was wondering if there was a part missing or if Shimano had used different shafts in an early/late run of the stellas. That answers all questions.
    Thanks Kil.

19. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Special K,
    I went to my reel man's house to make sure everything before I send the thread to you.
    Stella has two ball bearings with same size, but you need smaller one ball bearing to fit JM shaft. I sent you the smaller ball bearing.
    The only missing part is silver thread as shown in the pictuce below.
    On the original picture, the thread was attached to the inner shaft of Stella and I thought it was a part of Stella shaft.

[​IMG]

original picture
    [​IMG]

20. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Understood. I'll look for it in the days to come.
    On the other hand, thank you for getting the handle out to me so fast.