JM PE5

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by ksong, Aug 22, 2009.

1. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Long waited Jigging Master PE5 arrived today.
    The size of the reel is almost identical to Penn Torque 200, but the spool is substantially narrower.
    JM says the reel is capable of heavy drag upto 35 lbs, but you don't need such a heavy drag as PE6 line is the heaviet lines for the reel due to line capacity problem. I didn't put the line on the reel, but I expect about 350 -380 yards of PE6 (60 lbs).

This reel can be a serious tuna jigging reel as even tiny PE4 reel handled 130 - 150 lbs bluefin though stil line capacity could be a problem for big tuna if you use PE8 (80 lbs) lines.
    As like PE4 reel, PE5 has excellent free spool, duel dogging system as well as duel drag system.
    I noticed the handle arm is a little longer than PE4's for power jigging.

It looks the PE5 reel can be used right away out of box, but I intend to have the reels checked one by one.

size comparison between PE5 and Penn Torque 200 reel. As you see both reels are almost identical in size.
    [​IMG]

Here are size comparison among Saltiga40, JM PE5 and Penn Torque 200.
    Saltiga40 is a little bigger.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. abousoulayman

abousoulayman Senior Member

Hi KSONG how goes you, I am very to Interest by JM PE4 and PE5 I like this mark I have the JM rods but in spinning ) but the casting tempts me and a friend has me to call to say to me that the big tuna returned it méditerrannée but the tuna is very big more of 200LBS To has 600LBS Thus you who know,What is that the PE5 is rather strong and which rods I need,??? thanks!!!!
    PS:the tuna is on-surface and in the bottom???

3. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Every JM reel has its unique number and I record them when I sell them.
    I provide warranty service for the reels I sell.
    I can do repair/maintenance service for reels I don't sell, but I charge at reasonable rate.

4. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

Kil: Do you have a price for the PE5? I'm surprised they didn't make the spool somewhat wider to increase line capacity.

5. mike garone

mike garone Well-Known Member

Kil: Do you have a price for the PE5? I'm surprised they didn't make the spool somewhat wider to increase line capacity.

Spool width doesn't increase capacity as much as you might think. If you want more capacity the way to go is to increase the spool diameter (taller). Since this reel is designed for japanese style jigging, the narrower the spool the better

6. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

My price of PE5 is $515.
    PE5 reel is a jigging reel. That is why they use narrow spool. PE5 reel is designed to use PE5 or PE6 lines and the reel has enough line capacity (450 yards of PE% and about 380 yards of PE6).
    I really use higher than 3/0 size reel for jigging as I am not comfortable to use 4/0 size reels like Ocea Jigger 4000P or TN40/40N though many jig fishermen love the reels.

7. jig42na

jig42na Spinal Rods

That reel diameter looks perfect. I think I want this reel Kil. Looks good.

8. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

That reel diameter looks perfect. I think I want this reel Kil. Looks good.
    Travis, unfortunately there is no lefty in the shipment. :confused: I am going to ask whether they can send some lefty.
    This is serious jigging reels designed by serious jig fishermen. When I checked the reels, I felt I can sell them out of box, but I am going to let the reels checked and upgraded before selling.

9. jig42na

jig42na Spinal Rods

Hay Kil, I wouldn't be interested in the lefty. I use right hand only. I was curious if you had any left or not all sold. Sorry for the confusion.

10. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Hay Kil, I wouldn't be interested in the lefty. I use right hand only. I was curious if you had any left or not all sold. Sorry for the confusion.
    That is great. I thought you were looking for lefty.
    The only thing it annoys me is the noise created by duel docking system.
    There must be a way to get rid of/reduce noise, but it seems no reel companies can find the way.

11. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Kil,

It was nice meeting you again yesterday.
    Thanks for showing me the PE-5 reel.

Things I liked about the reel were:

Strong one piece frame
    Compact design spool
    Very comfortable handle and arm :)
    Dual dog system (I love the old trusty ambassadeurs), and I don't mind the noise;)
    lever drag design was comfortable

It just seemed like a solid reel and ready to get on fish. I wish we could have had it on a rod during our last trip on Thursday.

12. jig42na

jig42na Spinal Rods

Too me the noise just goes away after awhile, and its the sound of a reliable reel.

13. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

Too me the noise just goes away after awhile, and its the sound of a reliable reel.

Thats the way to put it. perhaps its the Jigging Master way . . .

14. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

It looks JM inspected each PE5 before they sent to me as the spin of spool 30 seconds and turning drag knob is much smoother than PE4 II.
    Anyway, I let the reels checked to see there will be any improvement before selling.

15. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

Kil,

It was nice meeting you again yesterday.
    Thanks for showing me the PE-5 reel.

Things I liked about the reel were:

Strong one piece frame
    Compact design spool
    Very comfortable handle and arm :)
    Dual dog system (I love the old trusty ambassadeurs), and I don't mind the noise;)
    lever drag design was comfortable

It just seemed like a solid reel and ready to get on fish. I wish we could have had it on a rod during our last trip on Thursday.

I agree... I was with Enoch when we met Kilsong.. it was a pleasure to meet you.

That JM PE5 reel is very nice.... small.. strong and nice handle. The double-dog clicking was not too loud.... seemed quieter than the John Baker 4 reel. Also the color and finish looks great... Its good to know the double-dog ratchet system can be removed if you wanted to.

Ty

16. YMMV

YMMV Senior Member

I agree... I was with Enoch when we met Kilsong.. it was a pleasure to meet you.

That JM PE5 reel is very nice.... small.. strong and nice handle. The double-dog clicking was not too loud.... seemed quieter than the John Baker 4 reel. Also the color and finish looks great... Its good to know the double-dog ratchet system can be removed if you wanted to.

Ty

Yep. And I met Kil earlier that day and left with lighter pockets. Kil, you are a great man with great info. And thanks for the new 400gram. :) It was an honor .

So Ty, was I right on the phone on what Enoch was getting delivered? lol.

I also got to inspect the PE4 and PE5 when I was at Kil's. Very nice looking reels and the noise is pretty quiet on the dogs, def not quite as loud as the JB. What I do like about that is that they do have good freespool but its the size, the lightness, and the high drag it produces that makes it nice.

Sinclair

17. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

lol and we all vicariously hang out together online :) haha

18. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I finally sit down and take some pictures of my products to post on my shop's website. It is way overdue, but fish keep biting. :)
    I got to go back again for bluefin jigging on Tuesday as weather is too good to ignore. :)
    I sold one PE5 reel this morning to a guy who is going to fish 8 days on the Excel in late Sept. I have no doubt the reel will be a big hit on the boat.

19. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I had a chance to test the PE5 reel today. I put Varivas Avani PE6 line on the reel. It takes 300 meter (315 yards) of PE6 with enough room for topshot.
    I has a nice bluefin estimated way over 150 lbs. The fish made 200 yard run twice and the reel got hot. Unfortunately hook was pulled after 15 mintues fight. the long handle custom handle was very comfortable and it was very easy for jigging and for fighting.
    You can not expect smoother drag than PE5 demonstrated today.
    I can say the reel is ready.

I got an email from Pony of JM and he is very proud of his reels and I got to agree with him after three month's extensive testing.

Some friends of mine talked to me that many American jiggers still do not know very well about the features of how a good jigging reel should be. Some even want to get rid of the docking system.

There are 8 points I have to highlight about these jigging reels - and I can assure you that they are the best jigging specialized reels I can find in the market, and actually they are already out of stock, and many Asian and AU/NZ top jiggers all love these reels if compared to others.

(1) Light weighted. no doubt about it,

(2) Narrower spool but still have enough of capacity - jiggers do not have to warry about the line managing when jigging,

(3) Idea gear ratio for best/most biting and heavy-jig jigging, you may ask someone use a 1:6 to jig 400g~500g for one day. haha -- 1:4 is absolutely the best biting rate.

(4) Precise and effient drag, from the first second thru out the line pulling out for long distance - most of the reel just max on the strike then looser/less drag while line was pulled out, that's not a good reel to me. JM reel keep the drag all range,

(5) Still smooth and precise drag when the drag washer is competely wet - most of you fish on calm sea, but we don't, During the AJ jigging season, there is always rough sea most of the time, reels and rods get salty wet when we are sailing, 90% of the reels you can find will get stumble when the washer is wet, JM PS PE reels don't, still as smooth as then they are dry. You can see in my New DVD I dip the whole reel in the water and still got the smooth and precise drag, You can try other reels, even the most expensive ones and see what will happen.

(6) Ideal length of arm - no doubt about it, especially for heavy and fast Japanese jigging.

(7) Bearinged handle - some do not believe, but once they go for a long trip like 3 Kings for 5 days, you have to jig all day, I cannot imagine what will be happened to the palms if jiggers use non-bearinged handle for very fast and intensive jigging.

(8) Small but as strong as a big game reel - get rid of the docking system will reduce the endurability and power of the reels, and make these sophisticated small giants become ordinary reels, JM won't guarantee if anyone remove the docking-system from the reels. Any serious jigger should understand how these docking systems work, clever design, dockings just make these small reels become 50VSW !!

Please explain the theory of the docking system to the publics, jiggers should thank God for this smart design which makes small reels become really really tough as big trolling game reels.

20. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Is the docking system the reel foot?