JM 500g Rod Efficiency

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by pametfisher, Mar 16, 2009.

1. pametfisher

pametfisher Senior Member

I took delivery last week of a JM500g. Today I loaded it with 20# drag to check its efficiency. You all know what the rod looks like so I'll skip the pictures. Needless to say it's a great looking rod.

My hand grip was at 27.5 inches and the horizontal distance to the line was 52"--53% efficiency which is 50% better than the rod I was using last year. That gives a top hand load at 20# drag of only 37 lbs., easy for me. At 25# drag it will be about 45 lbs., still no problem.

The rod looks great and I'm ready to fish this baby.

Thanks to Kil for good service.

PF

2. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

dang, your one technical dude. i just grab a rod and fish. the jm 500 is a powerful rod(i used to own one myself). besides the the higher pe strength rods, alot of the japanese rods perform the same to me. there hasnt been too much of a variance between the oti, smith, carpenter, daiwa, and hots rods that i have. im asian so i do appreciate all the technical numbers you bring. lol.

3. rtran

rtran Senior Member

i told everyone the comparision with oti rod about how the difference felt.
    oti 600g rod at 25lb drag felt like 45lb drag on jigging master.
    its a sweet rod

4. Sea Crappie

Sea Crappie Senior Member

So I saw a post about "efficiency" on another site, and now this one. It seems to me that you've calculated a spring constant (which is really only a constant on a straight taper rod). How are you using this data? Obviously there are trade offs to get that higher efficiency.

I suppose a handline w/ 300lb spectra would be 100% efficient, since it has no length and no elasticity. ;)

5. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I just came back after having a drink with A Captain at bar with whom I fished for bluefin out of NJ last summer. He was talking about how impressive the JM rod on the trip on which he fished with me. He bought a JM rod after he witnessed I landed and released 8 - 10 bluefin in 100 - 140 lbs range on jigs with JM 500g rod in short time.
    You'll really appreciate the rod once you fight a big tuna over 100 lbs with it.

6. pametfisher

I just came back after having a drink with A Captain at bar with whom I fished for bluefin out of NJ last summer. He was talking about how impressive the JM rod on the trip on which he fished with me. He bought a JM rod after he witnessed I landed and released 8 - 10 bluefin in 100 - 140 lbs range on jigs with JM 500g rod in short time.
    You'll really appreciate the rod once you fight a big tuna over 100 lbs with it.

I can't wait!

7. pametfisher

So I saw a post about "efficiency" on another site, and now this one. It seems to me that you've calculated a spring constant (which is really only a constant on a straight taper rod). How are you using this data? Obviously there are trade offs to get that higher efficiency.

I suppose a handline w/ 300lb spectra would be 100% efficient, since it has no length and no elasticity. ;)

You're right. It would be 100%. But it wouldn't be good for all those other things rods do.

This is one of the things that manufacturers don't spec so I need to measure for myself. I wanted to know how much force it would take my top rod hand to coax one of these BFTs from below the boat.

8. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

i told everyone the comparison with oti rod about how the difference felt.
    oti 600g rod at 25lb drag felt like 45lb drag on jigging master.
    its a sweet rod

Since I own both rods, I just went outside and strapped on a 25# barbell on both rods and did a few lifts. To be honest, I couldn't tell any difference at all. If I can't tell the difference, then the fish can't.:D

Here's a few pictures I took of both rods with very similar weight lifts. Maybe the math guys can tell me something my arms can't.

Tossing the math out the door, I guess I could just stand there with each rod and see how long I could hold up the 30#s before I call "Uncle".:)

Attached Files:

9. d-a

d-a Senior Member

Since I own both rods, I just went outside and strapped on a 25# barbell on both rods and did a few lifts. To be honest, I couldn't tell any difference at all. If I can't tell the difference, then the fish can't.:D

Your Exactly right!!

I had a JM500 and still have an OTI 600g rod. I personally couldn't tell a $150 dollar difference in performance, only ascetics.

The 30lb lift looks to be about max on the JM, look at how close the line is to the foregrip.

d-a

10. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

Your Exactly right!!

I had a JM500 and still have an OTI 600g rod. I personally couldn't tell a $150 dollar difference in performance, only ascetics.

The 30lb lift looks to be about max on the JM, look at how close the line is to the foregrip.

d-a
    i have both blanks here and another VJ brand
    they are all very close when built.

11. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I have to agree with Paul that both are excellent rods. You can't go wrong with either one.

Scenario:
    A huge school of 175# tuna are in a boil next to your boat.
    If both rods had the same reel and line on them, I'd just flip a coin to decide which one to use.

12. papio

papio Senior Member

MrBill, there's no question I would choose the spinner 100% of the time.

13. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

MrBill, there's no question I would choose the spinner 100% of the time.

I have both spinner and conventional of both.:)

By the way Papio. I went to Sportmans Warehouse this afternoon to check out the going out of business sale. Now I know why I only went one time in the three years it was open. No tackle for me. Bass mania. I don't fresh water fish. I did however find about 15 packs of 6/0 Owner mutu's. Those are great for tuna chunking. That was it as far as tackle. I also bought some Weatherby rifle cartridges.

14. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I am pleased to see how JM 500g and OTI 600g bend on heavy load.
    JM 500gs max drag is about 30 lbs and it is recommended to use 25 - 27 lbs dag for the rod and the picuture proves it.
    I think the quality rods get bent properly when needed and give good resilent power to help fishermen. You can not see them by looking at the rods and you have to fight fish to appreciate it. :)
    Capt Mark of the Canyon Runner is top notch offshore capt on the East Coast and he was top catcher of giant bluefin out of Morehead two years in a row. He uses considerably ligher rods for trolling giants and he belives the forgiving rod bend of lighter rod considerably reduce chances fo pulling hooks from giants while fighting.
    He am going to ask him to test JM 500g rod for giant trolling next year. :)

15. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

This is me with an older 500g JM connected to a 100lb bluefin on 2/28/09.

[​IMG]

16. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

This is me with an older 500g JM connected to a 100lb bluefin on 2/28/09.

Jim, I might go down to Hatteras soon as blefin bite well along 300 line off Hatteras.

--------------------------------------

Mon, March 16, 2009
    Offshore: N 5-10kt, 2-4' seas. Another good fishing day for bluefin tuna! Some yellowfin tuna were caught but only a few keepers. Few dolphin and wahoo were caught too!

Today's Citations:
    Release: Clarence Wilson of Virginia Beach, VA - Bluefin Tuna Release
    James Beale of Virginia Beach, VA - Bluefin Tuna Release
    George Lamb Jr. of Chesapeake, VA - Bluefin Tuna Release
    Robert Tripp of Virginia Beach, VA - Bluefin Tuna Release

Don't delay...book today 1-800-676-4939

Sun, March 15, 2009
    Great Bluefin Tuna fishing today with several released in the 50"-74" range. There were also some Blackfin Tuna, Amberjack and a few Dolphin. Weather was cool and dreary with fog for most of the day.
    Sat, March 14, 2009
    Offshore: North winds at 10-15kt. with 3-5' seas. A couple boats made it out today! They came back with good catches of yellowfin tuna and bluefin tuna!

Today's Citations:
    Good Times: Daniel Dorman of Virginia Beach, VA - 176lb 69in Bluefin Tuna
    Ronald Rytter Jr. of Chesapeake, VA - Released a Bluefin Tuna
    Brad Henry of Virginia Beach, VA - Released a Bluefin Tuna
    Gary Henry of Virginia Beach, VA - Released a Bluefin Tuna
    Samuel Dorman of Virginia Beach, VA - Released a Bluefin Tuna
    Release: Don Blair of Burlington, NC - 125lb 68in Bluefin Tuna
    David Hutchison of Marshville, NC - Released a Bluefin Tuna
    Clifford McKittrick of Canner, SC - Released a Bluefin Tuna
    Jordan Blair of Burlington, NC - Released a Bluefin Tina

17. Eastern Tackle

You can come with us on April 4. I am hoping they will still be around. Its only 2.5 weeks away.

18. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

jim, if you go on april 3 i can join you :). im flying into philly at 8PM on april 2. my kids' birthday is april 4 so i cant do that.

19. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

You can come with us on April 4. I am hoping they will still be around. Its only 2.5 weeks away.
    I don't make any long range plan anymore. All I need is fishing report and weather report and I go. I can find a boat anytime.

20. Eastern Tackle

I just go regardless of the weather. :)

21. jacktrevally

jacktrevally Member

correct me if I'm wrong, when you are dead lifting say 15kg down the tip, the reel drag can be less than 15kg to achieve this. Since friction with the rings allow you to do so. Does it means you are fishing 15kg of drag?