JIgwrex rod

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by jiggawhat, Jan 28, 2009.

1. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

Anyone know where i can get a jigwrex rod without ordering overseas?Looking for a spinning rod cause i dont have a spininning setup yet and im looking to buy one the first week in feb.

2. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

There was a supplier on ebay. You pay him and he does all the work.

3. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Why not get an OTI jigging rod instead? It runs about the same price as a JigWrex from shimano but you get warranty and support from OTI, and you can get it for sure the first week of Feb. Minstor Tackle on ebay sells your jigWrex if you want to ship one in from Malaysia.

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Why not get an OTI jigging rod instead? It runs about the same price as a JigWrex from shimano but you get warranty and support from OTI, and you can get it for sure the first week of Feb. Minstor Tackle on ebay sells your jigWrex if you want to ship one in from Malaysia.
    How much do they sell ?

5. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

i was looking at the jigwrex cause it was shorter (s508 is a 5 footer) than the oti.They are around 225 plus shipping from malaysia.

6. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

7. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

i was looking at the jigwrex cause it was shorter (s508 is a 5 footer) than the oti.They are around 225 plus shipping from malaysia.

That extra foot in the OTI is beneficial when u fish on outboards cause u can go around the back engines a little easier, not saying you can't do it with a 5 footer, but the 6 footer makes it easier. I have an OTI 300g 6ft, and I love it, no problems dragging up big bottom dwellers all day despite the 6ft length.

Ask Kil, he likes jigging on longer rods... :D

8. gman

gman Senior Member

personally i prefer shorter rods but everyone has different tastes. Yu cant go wrong with either of teh rods OTI or Jigwrex. I've actually heard a lot of good things about the jigwrex

9. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

gman why do you find it easier to jig with the shorter rods. it looks like you could feel the fish more to me with more control.i guess while im here does anyone have one they want to sell(jigwrex s508)

10. gman

gman Senior Member

every fisherman has different reasons why they like a reel, line etc.

My style is faster Japanese jerk crank and under arm for this I prefer a short rod. Its balanced, I have more leverage, I have more control and I can really whip the jig withe the tip of the rod. Personal preffernce but my ideal rod is either 4'8 or 5'2. I like 5'2

NOW if I am using a jerk crank technique but out of a belt then a longer rod is more beneficial to get a better lift and drop of jig.

For a yo yo or squiding a really long rod is more beneficial.

11. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

generally i prefer shorter rods for fast jigging and longer rods for bottom jigging, slow jigging and/or party boats. but that is just a preference. if all you have is a short or long rod you've got to make due with what you have. there is no rule that says you cannot speed jig with a long rod. sure, a short rod is easier on the angler but it can be done.

case in point the tuna i caught in cape cod was caught slow jigging a short JM rod. in december, tuna hunter caught several tuna while speed jigging with an OTI popping rod. the fish didn't seem to care.

12. gman

gman Senior Member

you can definately make due with either type of rod in any situation no doubt but its about YOU being comfortable and finding YOUR style. In Panama we left a jigging rod back at the lodge by mistake and Sami jigged all day long with a 7'6" stealth casting rod and he altered his style and hooked up and landed fish like it was meant to be a jigging rod.

13. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

I think im more comfortable with the shorter rods but this is my first spinning rod purchase so im checking my options.

14. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

alot of good options.
    the oti are a good choice.
    alot of guys are going to the shorter rods.
    i still like the slightly longer.

15. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I own a Jigwrek rod and tested it.
    It is a fast action rod and I don't see any special about it.
    But the rod is reasonably priced.
    6' jigging rod is more appeal to conventional rod users who start jigging.
    However serious jigger pefer shorter rod around 4'8" - 5'4"
    And, when you targer big fish on jigs, the rod length tends to be shorter.

16. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

if money is tight or you're just starting out and wanting to buy your first rod, then something in the middle is probably your best bet so you can try different styles and see what you prefer.

17. hstsw

hstsw Senior Member

Agree with gman - I prefer shorter rods but OTI 300gr jigging rod is awesome IHMO - broke an OTI 600gr jiggin rod but TJ replaced with a brand rod (Thanks TJ :) ) - excellent service, warranty & support from 360tackle - no comment on Jigwrex rod since I have not use it yet / Do Jigwrex rod have US warranty?

personally i prefer shorter rods but everyone has different tastes. Yu cant go wrong with either of teh rods OTI or Jigwrex. I've actually heard a lot of good things about the jigwrex

18. gman

gman Senior Member

TJ runs a first class company and his rods are very well made

19. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

I also recommend an OTI. They are fantastic for what you get and with the warranty it is great. It has top notch components and built well.

20. rhale

rhale Senior Member

http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f74/advantage-short-jigging-rod-2444/

Some good info about rod lengths here.

I built my jigging rods ( 2 OTI 600gr & a JM 450 PS ) 5'6" to 5"8" and I am happy with them. Next is the Tuna Max blank that I have and it will be cut to 5'2" for my Stella.

As others have said, I would suggest an OTI for the quality and warranty you get for not to much $$$$.