Jigs???

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Chumlord, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Chumlord

Chumlord Member

What type and size jigs do you all recommend for jigging YFTs. I will primarily be fishing NC waters.

2. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

3. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

the patriot design jigs look nice....never seen one in person.

I need to try those havilsen jigs, they look great. Do you sell them with the hook as well?

4. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

the patriot design jigs look nice....never seen one in person.

I need to try those havilsen jigs, they look great. Do you sell them with the hook as well?
    I haven't tried Patriot Design jigs as well as Halvilsen jigs.
    The reason I choose Patriot Design jigs is I had great success with Seven Seas Hooker jig and PD jigs are very similar and Matsutani-san designed both jigs.
    Halvisen jigs should be good when long thin baits like sand eels are present which are very common on tuna fishing ground on the East Coast.

Here are Seven Seas Hooker jigs and Norway Pike jigs which I did not list on my site yet. Noreway Pike jigs should be available in Spring.

[​IMG]

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

yeah i thought the PD jig looked like the hooker jig. if the bluefin feed on sand eels again this year, you should sell a lot of havsilen jigs :)

The Pike jig looks a lot like the Braid slammer 750

are you going to try either jigs in panama?

6. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

yeah i thought the PD jig looked like the hooker jig. if the bluefin feed on sand eels again this year, you should sell a lot of havsilen jigs :)

The Pike jig looks a lot like the Braid slammer 750

are you going to try either jigs in panama?
    Braid slammer works great for tuna too. I got similar jigs in Denmark at a local fishing show about 15 years ago and they worked great for tuna. But unfortunately I lost all the jigs to tuna and I tried to find similar jigs for years. The Norway jigs are very close to what I used, except eyes. They are really good quality and comes with 100g, 200g and 300g. They became discontinued models, but I try to get them.

It is like 50 poppers and 50 jigs for Panama. :)
    Good thing is yft started to show up.

7. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

What type and size jigs do you all recommend for jigging YFTs. I will primarily be fishing NC waters.

Some of the guys fishing from Wanchese have had some luck on the flat sides. Pink with black dots.

8. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

As you might notice, I prefer short jigs for tuna in 6 - 8 inches/ 6 - 10 oz.
    I dont' know why. I just use them as I have had more success with them.

The history of tuna jigging on the East Coast is pretty long. But the turning point of tuna jigging was when great run of big bluefin happened around Bacardi wreck around 15 years ago. Many fishermen used big cod jigs for them as they thought they needed big jig as most bluefin were over 200 lbs.
    Since then, tuna jigging was popularized. As many fishermen involved in jigging, they discovered many things. One of them is the jig size. For some reason, they found tuna hit more on smaller jigs.
    My reasoning is it is harder to fool tuna with big jigs. However I observed that Japanese style long jigs work for tuna too.
    As many jig fishermen use Japanese style long jigs for tuna, we will get more info in the near future.

9. mark stotesbury

mark stotesbury Senior Member

Hi Kil
    did you recieve my email regarding the hookers ?
    cheers mark

10. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

Hi Kil
    did you recieve my email regarding the hookers ?
    cheers mark
    Yes, I got it. I have 220g Hooker 1 and Hooker 7 in stock , but I dond't have 300g. Actually I don't carry 300g based on my test. :)
    I'll contact you after Panama trip leaving tomorrow.