Jigs

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by Bolo, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

Hello everyone. Im new to the forum and need some help about verticle jigging. Im from Miami, FL and when I do get out in deep water I fish for Mutton, Black Grouper, Amberjacks, Kings, and Dophin. What type of jigs do you guys recommend as a must have all around. Do you guys change out the hooks or use the ones it comes with? Since there is so many varity of jigs it gets overwelming.

Also, since I fish most of the times from bridges and piers there are a few places that hold big kings. Could the verticle jigs be as effective jigging it across the water or will that change the action? Thanks for your time.

2. dan1

dan1 Senior Member

bolo, try this before spending money on expensive jigs. i got more satisfaction catching fish from something i made than anything that can be store bought.

homemade knife jigs

3. tngbmt

tngbmt Senior Member

cheap diamond jigs are as reliable as any. choose the size of your jig base on depth, current and fish.

for horizontal jiggin at shallow depths, i like the straw jig from sea striker using lighter tackle (red drum setup) w/ 25# braid and short metal leader.

4. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

I like the shimano style jigs. That being said there are tons of knockoff jigs that are half as much and just as effective. The one I have had the most luck on is the 160gr blue back shimano regular, next is green back and then pink back.

5. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

Thank you for the info. Do most of you use assisted hooks?

6. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Yes I use assist hooks rigged from the top.

7. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

For mid water species, I think the top works better. But for bottom dwellers, I think a hook on the bottom works best, thats why folks have so much luck with diamond jigs. The hooks on the bottom.

I think a grouper will actually reaction strike at a flat side jig faster, but the hookup percentage is less because the hooks at the top.

Just a thought. Not gospel, just thinking aloud.

8. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

if you're jigging slow, hooks on bottom work better. when jigging fast i like hooks up top. if you want to jig make sure you never leave home without diamond jigs and metal sardines

for grouper i like diamond jigs...hook on bottom as usual.

9. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

Do you guys use a loop knot, chinch knot, or snap serwel for the best action? (sorry mispell) I have seen some guys use three hooks to increase their odds. Do you guys believe it good or a waste of extra hooks. Thank you guys, this has been a big help.

10. Eastern Tackle

Eastern Tackle Senior Member

One hook and one hook only, for safety and to actually avoid the double hookup. One fish can actually pull the jig out of anothers mouth and you get nothing.

I have seen 3 hooks used only in one situation and that is super deep jigging in depths over 800ft deep.

I use a two turn uni to attach my jigs with 100lb mono. There are two rings at the top, so I can't see where the action is improved by making a loop.

11. Bolo

Bolo Senior Member

Thank you for your help. Much appreciated.

12. mark stotesbury

mark stotesbury Senior Member

bolo send me a pm.got a few sanme jigs for you work great on your grouper
    mark

13. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Mark: What jigs are you talking about to catch grouper?

14. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Mark: What jigs are you talking about to catch grouper?

bolo send me a pm.got a few sanme jigs for you work great on your grouper
    mark

Sanme Jigs

15. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

hammered diamond jigs work too. :)

i'd be afraid to use an $85 jig!!!

16. rtran

rtran Senior Member

Werd, I love how simple the hammered diamond jig is and you can use it for everything.

17. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

As many jigs as we loose to kings here I guarentee you i will never put an
    $ 85 dollar jig on my boat much less on my rod.

18. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

Thats gotta be in pesos right:)

19. dan1

dan1 Senior Member

$50 for a jig? YGTBSM!

get a pipe, fill it with llead, stick some prism tape on it, and I'm willing to bet it will work just as well.