jigging with spinners...

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by LEXPRO, Mar 25, 2008.

1. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

Has anyone jigged a spinner and a conventional on the Big E? Ive only used conventional and wonder if the rail makes it difficult to use a spinner.

2. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

I'm not sure what you mean by the rail's making it difficult. If you are talking about the disadvantage of not being able to use the rail with a spinner to land the fish, I have never encountered a large enough fish while jigging to have to do that. If you mean just the jigging itself, on one trip, I jigged for a brief time (say, an hour with each) and I did not find it difficult because of the rail with either rig. I did find it more difficult to achieve hookups on blackfin using a Smith Nirai/Stella 20K though and when I switched to a friend's conventional (OTI300/Ocean Jigger) I hooked up fairly quickly. I realize one can learn to detect hits while dropping on the spinning rig, but from my scant experience, it is not as automatic.

But that has nothing to do with your question about the rail.

Russ

3. gman

gman Senior Member

he is refering to the rail height, some boats have a really high rail so it is hard to use a spinner because the reel is on the bottom instead of an overhand conventional

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

that was the only surprise i had on the big e - the height of the rails. It isn't a huge deal, but 6 inches lower would be nice :)

5. gman

gman Senior Member

another 6 inches would be awesome ... um i meant the rails that is

6. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

another 6 inches would be awesome ... um i meant the rails that is
    LOL:p

7. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Believe me, gentlemen, another six inches may seem awesome but it's more of a problem than it's worth. I've had to live with it for years and it's hell. Too many places you can't go--kind of like the original Hummer--too many mountain roads that are too narrow for it. I've lived in terror of personal injury lawsuits for years.

8. gman

gman Senior Member

i was refering to my height LOL

9. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

10. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

So Russ, did the rail get in the way at all while jigging?

I think i remember Tom jigging with a spinner on TBB, did you have any issues?

11. jig

jig Senior Member

The rail is my friend, I'd like it six inches higher. :)

12. Uncle Russ

Uncle Russ Senior Member

Lexpro:You know, I really don't remember whether it got in the way or not--but I wasn't even thinking about it at the time--I was busy being pissed off that I was missing the strikes and others on either side of me were hooking up. The other thing was that I wasn't really yo-yoing with the rod--just dropping down and reeling back up. I'm sure next time, I will be thinking about it.

13. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

Everytime i see a pic or vid of someone catching a nice fish with a spinner they are on a boat with a low freeboard or rail..

14. gman

gman Senior Member

i cant speak for everyone but i jig with the rod under my arm so it should be no where near the rail if the rail is waist high

15. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

The Big E can not adjust for you. You got to adjust. :)

16. Gunsmoke

Gunsmoke Guest

The Big E can not adjust for you. You got to adjust. :)

These are for those of you who think they cheated by height genetics.:D

Elevator fishing shoes for the rail. That would be a hard market to sell shoe stores!!!!!!!!

Attached Files:

17. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

it's not a big deal, i am just saying if i was able to choose i'd choose the rail to be lower. if you like using the rail to fight fish then itll work nicer for you

18. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

It's tuff to follow a post by G.S.

But any way I've fished jigs on the Big E and Capt Casey with spinners
    only, (until last summer)on many overnight and day trips mainly from the Bow and stern corners.
    At 5'8" (me) the rails weren't a comfort issue. I slow jig with the rod butt on my hip\thigh and if get hooked to a larger fish. move rod to small gimble plate.

To me the Gulf Eagle rails seemed higher on the stern at least on the one
    night I have fished it.

K2

19. Ragman

Ragman Moderator

Same here Lex. I jig with the rod under my arm, kind of halfway hanging over the rail.

I'm the same height as FishHead and the rail has never hindered me. If I am using a conventional, I'll rail it before putting it into a belt.

If I get a fish -on a spinner- that's really pulling, I just back up from the rail and it's easier to keep your line from rubbing.

20. papio

papio Senior Member

i'm 98% spinner and i always use the rails...of course i no longer have the use of my right hand and my knuckles seem to have vanish. but my front grips still looks brand new...hehehe....hehe