Jigging W/ spinning reel on conventional rod

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by MrBill, Mar 20, 2009.

1. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Has anyone ever tried putting a spinning reel on a conventional jigging rod. If so, did it work out OK. No casting, just jigging.

The reason for asking: I can't get the last spinning rod in a rod case and don't want to take two rod cases on a trip.

2. Minnow

Minnow Administrator

Mr.Bill,

Get you one of this and solve your problem.

PLANO 6508

3. papio

papio Senior Member

If you use the rod straight up with reel upside down it should be okay or else you're going against natural bend/balance??

4. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

5. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

If you use the rod straight up with reel upside down it should be okay or else you're going against natural bend/balance??

?

6. SpecialK

SpecialK Super Moderator

?
    When rods are built they are spined... Basically the rod wants to flex one way and its not good to force them the other way. I broke a rod one time with minimal drag because I was tires so I turned the conventional upside down so I could crank backwards with the otherhand. Didn't end well.

I have though, duct taped to case together before and the airline had no problem check them as one bag...

7. mike garone

mike garone Well-Known Member

I wouldn't do it. The small/low frame choke guide might cause a stress point and could cause the rod to break.

8. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Mr.Bill,

Get you one of this and solve your problem.

PLANO 6508

Yea. I called up BPS and they have one. I'm going now before they close. I'll either get it or pass. I'm not taking two cases.
    I'm worried about it collapsing. I hope no one sees me sit on it in the store.:eek: If I think it will pass the test, I'll get it.

The bad thing is if it passes my test, I'll probably pack more rods.:eek:

9. Fishhead56

Fishhead56 Senior Member

Phish Caddy.
    Twice the baggs allowed....:cool:

10. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

ive got that case as well, mrbill. its pretty big. if you can put rod butts in your luggage itll hold a lot. its pretty strong. not the strongest thing in the world but as long as your rods are packed OK it should be fine.

11. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Phish Caddy.
    Twice the baggs allowed....:cool:

No fish caddy this trip. It's me vs the 140#s luggage.:mad:
    (6-rods, 7 reels, 37#'s of jigs, 50 poppers, extra line, hooks, leaders, terminal tackle, etc.) Oh, I did pack some clothes and deodorant.:)
    On the bright side, the luggage weight will prepare me for fighting fish.:)

I did end up buying that Plano rolling rod case. That was only the second time I've been to BPS since it opened a couple of years ago. Bass city. A guy from behind the counter came over to assist me after he saw me sitting on the case.:eek: It was pretty strong. It was full of dust. I can only imagine that it was part of their original stocking inventory. I did see a bunch of people leaving the store with the $9.99 combo rod and reel special.:eek:

I did catch the BPS sales guy with a big lie. He asked me where I was going. He then told me he had just returned from a fishing trip to Costa Rica. Since I just fished in CR, I asked him a couple of questions. He told me he fished on the "Atlantic side".:eek: I said "WOW, CR must have expanded it's territory".

Then he told me really just fished the rivers. I asked him "Are there any Crocodiles in CR?". He replied "NO, I didn't see any wildlife, It's like a desert down there". :eek: I said, "WOW, I guess the most animal prolific country in the world had a serious drought and the rain forest all turned into sand". He replied, "Yes, it's been desolate for thousands of years.":eek: " It's like Iraq down there".:eek:

I then told him "You can't Bullchit a Bullchitter" and proceed to the check out.

12. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

"its like iraq down there"

lol

13. barbwire

barbwire Senior Member

No fish caddy this trip. It's me vs the 140#s luggage.:mad:
    (6-rods, 7 reels, 37#'s of jigs, 50 poppers, extra line, hooks, leaders, terminal tackle, etc.) Oh, I did pack some clothes and deodorant.:)
    On the bright side, the luggage weight will prepare me for fighting fish.:)

I did end up buying that Plano rolling rod case. That was only the second time I've been to BPS since it opened a couple of years ago. Bass city. A guy from behind the counter came over to assist me after he saw me sitting on the case.:eek: It was pretty strong. It was full of dust. I can only imagine that it was part of their original stocking inventory. I did see a bunch of people leaving the store with the $9.99 combo rod and reel special.:eek:

I did catch the BPS sales guy with a big lie. He asked me where I was going. He then told me he had just returned from a fishing trip to Costa Rica. Since I just fished in CR, I asked him a couple of questions. He told me he fished on the "Atlantic side".:eek: I said "WOW, CR must have expanded it's territory".

Then he told me really just fished the rivers. I asked him "Are there any Crocodiles in CR?". He replied "NO, I didn't see any wildlife, It's like a desert down there". :eek: I said, "WOW, I guess the most animal prolific country in the world had a serious drought and the rain forest all turned into sand". He replied, "Yes, it's been desolate for thousands of years.":eek: " It's like Iraq down there".:eek:

I then told him "You can't Bullchit a Bullchitter" and proceed to the check out.
    That's funny! He needs to lay off the pipe for a while it's starting to mess up his mind.:D