360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever tried putting a spinning reel on a conventional jigging rod. If so, did it work out OK. No casting, just jigging.

The reason for asking: I can't get the last spinning rod in a rod case and don't want to take two rod cases on a trip.

·
553 Posts
If you use the rod straight up with reel upside down it should be okay or else you're going against natural bend/balance??

·
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you use the rod straight up with reel upside down it should be okay or else you're going against natural bend/balance??

?

·
Super Moderator
1,569 Posts
?
When rods are built they are spined... Basically the rod wants to flex one way and its not good to force them the other way. I broke a rod one time with minimal drag because I was tires so I turned the conventional upside down so I could crank backwards with the otherhand. Didn't end well.

I have though, duct taped to case together before and the airline had no problem check them as one bag...

·
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mr.Bill,

Get you one of this and solve your problem.

PLANO 6508

Yea. I called up BPS and they have one. I'm going now before they close. I'll either get it or pass. I'm not taking two cases.
I'm worried about it collapsing. I hope no one sees me sit on it in the store.:eek: If I think it will pass the test, I'll get it.

The bad thing is if it passes my test, I'll probably pack more rods.:eek:

G

·
ive got that case as well, mrbill. its pretty big. if you can put rod butts in your luggage itll hold a lot. its pretty strong. not the strongest thing in the world but as long as your rods are packed OK it should be fine.

·
2,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Phish Caddy.
Twice the baggs allowed....:cool:

No fish caddy this trip. It's me vs the 140#s luggage.:mad:
(6-rods, 7 reels, 37#'s of jigs, 50 poppers, extra line, hooks, leaders, terminal tackle, etc.) Oh, I did pack some clothes and deodorant.:)
On the bright side, the luggage weight will prepare me for fighting fish.:)

I did end up buying that Plano rolling rod case. That was only the second time I've been to BPS since it opened a couple of years ago. Bass city. A guy from behind the counter came over to assist me after he saw me sitting on the case.:eek: It was pretty strong. It was full of dust. I can only imagine that it was part of their original stocking inventory. I did see a bunch of people leaving the store with the $9.99 combo rod and reel special.:eek:

I did catch the BPS sales guy with a big lie. He asked me where I was going. He then told me he had just returned from a fishing trip to Costa Rica. Since I just fished in CR, I asked him a couple of questions. He told me he fished on the "Atlantic side".:eek: I said "WOW, CR must have expanded it's territory".

Then he told me really just fished the rivers. I asked him "Are there any Crocodiles in CR?". He replied "NO, I didn't see any wildlife, It's like a desert down there". :eek: I said, "WOW, I guess the most animal prolific country in the world had a serious drought and the rain forest all turned into sand". He replied, "Yes, it's been desolate for thousands of years.":eek: " It's like Iraq down there".:eek:

I then told him "You can't Bullchit a Bullchitter" and proceed to the check out.

·
153 Posts
No fish caddy this trip. It's me vs the 140#s luggage.:mad:
(6-rods, 7 reels, 37#'s of jigs, 50 poppers, extra line, hooks, leaders, terminal tackle, etc.) Oh, I did pack some clothes and deodorant.:)
On the bright side, the luggage weight will prepare me for fighting fish.:)

I did end up buying that Plano rolling rod case. That was only the second time I've been to BPS since it opened a couple of years ago. Bass city. A guy from behind the counter came over to assist me after he saw me sitting on the case.:eek: It was pretty strong. It was full of dust. I can only imagine that it was part of their original stocking inventory. I did see a bunch of people leaving the store with the $9.99 combo rod and reel special.:eek:

I did catch the BPS sales guy with a big lie. He asked me where I was going. He then told me he had just returned from a fishing trip to Costa Rica. Since I just fished in CR, I asked him a couple of questions. He told me he fished on the "Atlantic side".:eek: I said "WOW, CR must have expanded it's territory".

Then he told me really just fished the rivers. I asked him "Are there any Crocodiles in CR?". He replied "NO, I didn't see any wildlife, It's like a desert down there". :eek: I said, "WOW, I guess the most animal prolific country in the world had a serious drought and the rain forest all turned into sand". He replied, "Yes, it's been desolate for thousands of years.":eek: " It's like Iraq down there".:eek:

I then told him "You can't Bullchit a Bullchitter" and proceed to the check out.
That's funny! He needs to lay off the pipe for a while it's starting to mess up his mind.:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts