Jigging Setup For Party boat Tuna

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by BigSilk, Jul 12, 2008.

1. BigSilk

BigSilk Guest

Hello All

I just signed up on this site. I am so happy to have found it! It is truely a great site!

I am looking for advice. Can anyone recomend a decent "starter" rod and reel combo for jigging tuna in the northeast canyons. I primarly fish off party boats.

Should I go with spinning or convential? A setup for butterfyl jigging or more convential jigs?

I want some decent but not have to mortgage the house to pay for it.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to meeting some of you guys.

Jim

2. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

Welcome to the board Jim. I felt compelled to answer this as I posted almost the identical question when i first found the site. I like yourself am in the NE and fish mainly pb's, that said IMO go with conventional opposed to spinning more line capacity. As for rods and reels whats your price range, to narrow down the options because there are so many.

3. BigSilk

BigSilk Guest

Thanks Newkid

I was thinking somewhere about 350-450. I am willing to spend a little more but, of course, I would love to spend less. I want something. A couple of guys recomended a trevala rod (5'8") with a saragosa 1800 reel. But others have warned me that it may be light for a partyboat. The idea of catching tuna on a spinning outfit is very interesting to me. Thank God for braided line.

Thanks
    Jim

4. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

5. mike garone

mike garone Well-Known Member

Can't go wrong with the rod billy suggested. For party boat I would not suggest spinning tackle. With the high rail it can be more difficult to fish a spinning rod. If you dont know how to use the rail I would learn, it will be your best friend. I also personally dont think the trevala's have enough backbone for PB tuna. A big part of landing fish on a PB is getting them in quickly. The longer you are on the fish the more the line can rub on the hull and the more lines you can get tangled in.

6. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

You absolutely cant go wrong with the rod billy40 suggested heck im buying one myself from the same place he mentioned no less. As for the trevala its a great rod.... FOR INSHORE USE or as a light tackle rod it has no business on a party boat tuna hunting. Spinning reels are fun but are kinda hard to manage on the high rails of these boats, im not saying it cant be done its just not as practical as conventional and some mates up here ( the NE) look down upon the use of spinning gear. Good reels for the gusa rod would be a Penn torque 300 star drag, or higher end daiwa saltiga 50, shimano trinidad 50, accurate boss 665w 2 speed theres alot of options you just have to figure out what will work best for you what kind of drag range you want and if you want star or lever drag ( many prefer star drag for jigging) if you are lucky kil song will drop in and offer his opinion.

7. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

Welcome Jim,

Here a couple of other choices for you.

Hopper rods: $149.99 - $169.99 (for the heavier versions you'll need) they are available in both spinning and casting. Very affordable and very tough rods. I have three of these. They define bang for the buck.
    [​IMG]

Shimano Tekota: $159.99 - $189.99 (size range 300-800) are available in level wind and non-level wind versions. I would recommend you upgrade the drag washers to carbontex with these reels (about $7 - $10)
    [​IMG]

Shimano Spheros FA: $69.99 - $139.99 (size range 3000-14000). I caught a tuna in the 100 pound range with a 14000 size reel. I would also recommend you upgrade the drag washers to carbontex with these reels (about $7 - $10).
    [​IMG]

Quantum Cabo: $189.95 - $209.95 (size range 20-80). I have the 80 version of this reel. I have a review of it here. http://www.360tuna.com/forum/f60/quantum-cabo-80-pts-butterfly-jigging-2774/. No need to upgrade the drags on these reels.
    [​IMG]

Good luck and happy fishing

8. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

One thing I'm going to add to TonyC's post - ifyou get a levelwind for this, you are going to have to be super careful to keep your fingers away from teh finger eating mechanism. IMO levelwinds have no place for big fish.

If you go on a NE Tuna boat with a spinnign rod, and you cannot control your fish, there will be a lot of angry fishermen. Spinning reels are frowned upon, even if you are a good fisherman and are able to land fish quickly - all it will take is one walk around the boat and people iwll be pissed.

9. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

Hello All

I just signed up on this site. I am so happy to have found it! It is truely a great site!

I am looking for advice. Can anyone recomend a decent "starter" rod and reel combo for jigging tuna in the northeast canyons. I primarly fish off party boats.

Should I go with spinning or convential? A setup for butterfyl jigging or more convential jigs?

Jim
    we fish the NE alot..usually charters
    just did a trip from capemay for BFT
    dont forget to look at the OTI rods..they are in stores up our way all thru NJ and into NY..
    dealers arent listed yet.. you can PM me for their contact info
    the OTI are a little shorter but are nice
    i had a GUSA wahoo jr for sale..they usually sell new under 400 with Fuji SIC guides
    i have one here litle use with a like new torium30 i was going to list
    if you fish the NE we are usually looking for guys to fish with
    we fish capemay and north usually
    good luck with your search

10. Formula4Fish

Formula4Fish Senior Member

Can anyone recomend a decent "starter" rod and reel combo for jigging tuna in the northeast canyons.
    Jim

Welcome aboard Jim. Here's an outstanding "starter" set up...

113HN Baja Special Special Senator® Combo

The reel is only 29oz, 4.3:1 gears, will hold about 500 yards of 80# braid, and will pull 27# of drag.

The combo is $199.99 and includes a PENN Guide Series 765XL GRAPHITE 6' 6" 20-50# or you can get the reel by itself for $159.99 and choose your own rod. I just ordered a combo yesterday and they agreed to put 300 yards of 80# braid on it. Lock stock and barrel, including shipping, it was under $230.

Penn has discontinued this excellent reel. Better hurry... yesterday they only had 11 left.

[​IMG]

11. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

Hello All

Jim

I second the GUSA Wahoo Jr ..Trophy Tackle have some in stock ..If you would like one in you colors or different than the stock rod it's not a problem..

12. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

Welcome aboard Jim. Here's an outstanding "starter" set up...

113HN Baja Special Special Senator® Combo

The reel is only 29oz, 4.3:1 gears, will hold about 500 yards of 80# braid, and will pull 27# of drag.

The combo is $199.99 and includes a PENN Guide Series 765XL GRAPHITE 6' 6" 20-50# or you can get the reel by itself for $159.99 and choose your own rod. I just ordered a combo yesterday and they agreed to put 300 yards of 80# braid on it. Lock stock and barrel, including shipping, it was under $230.

Penn has discontinued this excellent reel. Better hurry... yesterday they only had 11 left.

[​IMG]
    thats a nice reel for the price
    i am not familiar with the rod

13. Savage Rods

Savage Rods Member

Actually that is a great value. Good reel, rod not bad for the money. I'd jump all over it if I were you.

14. Formula4Fish

Here's a link to a description of the rod. They say MSRP is $150.

Baja Fish Gear*::*Rods*::*PENN Guide Series 765XL GRAPHITE ROD

[​IMG]

I figure it will be useful for something even if I decide to put the reel on something else. I didn't need this thing, but it's such a bargain I couldn't pass it up. It will be my "backup rig".

15. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

For a one day trip i really like spinning, for multi day trips i like conventional. On one day trips your arms dont get burned out too bad. On multi day trips my arms get tired and require use of the rail.

16. Billy 40

Billy 40 Senior Member

Lex, all teh trips up here are one day trips. PB fishing up here is a lot different than everywhere else in the US apparantly. A lot of the boats have high rails, making fishing a spinner that much more inconvenient, and I'm telling you - fishermen do not like spinners and will cause problems. If you haven't done this type of fishing before, stay away from spinners. Charters and private boats are a different story.

17. rtran

rtran Senior Member

you can find that penn baja combo special for less than 150 shipped just google it.

18. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

The Gusa Wahoo is a good choice, the composite is also a good choice. Generally if your going to be fishin party boats here in the northeast, You need a rod atleast 7ft preferrably 8ft to be able to cast and make long yo yo sweeps.

Gusa Wahoo Custom
    G Loomis Pelagic PSR102-40CSU Awesome rod- recently used to jigup a 270lb bluefin
    Gusa Wahoo JR Composite- Good choice and only costs 350 at trophy tackle

As far as reels, for the money I would go with a Saltist 50 in the regular gear not the high gear, and get the carbontex upgrade.

The Wahoo Jr composite with the Saltist will run you about 550 total. WIth this setup you should be able to tackle most tuna you jig and encounter in the NE.

19. Formula4Fish

you can find that penn baja combo special for less than 150 shipped just google it.

Where PurEvl?

I "just Googled it" and I wasn't able to find the reel by itself for that price.. much less a combo.

20. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

Stay away from spinning set ups on ne party boats until you become comfortable and have a standard jigging setup like I have posted before.

Hopper rods are indeed a good deal, but are too short and are typically used while fishing in a japanese style of jigging. Tekota is not a reel i would recommend for jiggig tuna, like billy said if a tuna rips out line the level wind has a tendency to catch the line or even worse your finger.