Jigging setup for Panama

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by LEXPRO, May 7, 2009.

1. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

Guys, whats the best bet to take with me for jigging panama from the setups i already have?

OTi600/665n, 7'6"OTI/665n, 20k/OTi600, 8k/OTi300

2. gman

gman Senior Member

8K/300 or 20K on 300 you dont need a 600g rod down there IMHO depending on what your fighting you should be fine. To me a 400g rod is perfect

3. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

I dont want to take too much stuff...

4. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

on our trip, slow jigging with hammered diamond jigs produced just about all the jigged fish. personally, i like conventionals better with this method. long or short rod is up to you, i was using the 7'6" OTI, 5'8" jigging master and a 5'8" Seven Seas rod. All worked well. dave used a spinning rod for slow jigging, and did just fine as well.

I'd also bring the setup glenn mentioned as well if possible.

5. gman

gman Senior Member

I jigged medium to faster speed with regular jigs and caught a lot of fish as well I think it juts matters your personal style

6. peterk814

peterk814 Senior Member

some people like to stroke it slow...some like to stroke fast..the end result is the same..

7. gman

gman Senior Member

some people like to stroke it slow...some like to stroke fast..the end result is the same..

thats why i said everyone has their own style amigo LOL Personally I just like to stroke it LMFAO

8. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

Lexpro,
    I'd take your 8k/OTi300 and OTi600/665n. That will give you a conventional and spinning outfit. That's all you need. Most jigging down in Panama isn't in real deep water. You probably won't drop in water any deeper than 250'. Most of the tuna are found on plateau's as the tuna come from deep water onto the plateau's. When I was there the YF's were caught in 129' of water.

I would work the hammered jigs slowly. I didn't have much luck speed jigging the hammered jigs. Macho kept telling me "Rapido, Rapido". After many drops with speed cranking I started doing slow long lifts, and Macho would tap me on the shoulder and say "Rapido, Rapido". Rapido did work for me using long skinny jigs but I caught nothing speed jigging the hammered ones. You don't need any jig heavier than 320gms. Even with the strong current, I could hit the bottom with 200gm jigs constantly. I had better luck fast jigging the OTI jitterbel than any other jig.

Good luck. Like stated above, we all have our styles. Adjust to what works and experiment with different jigs. Don't forget to take some casting iron type jigs. Those did better than the vertical jigs most of the time if we weren't sitting on a particular rock and were drifting.

9. LEXPRO

LEXPRO Senior Member

were tuna or big cubera caught on jigs? If so what type?

10. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

lex,
    go light with the 300g setup. jigging is shallow and not mutch current.

you will catch cuberas and tuna on popper. bring the small shibuki ....:)

11. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

yes we caught tuna on hammered diamond jigs. pete caught a cubera on a surface iron.

mrbill - you missed the opportunity of a lifetime to deep drop for the elusive pargo chino. perhaps next time lol ;)