360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The setup is:

Beastmaster Heavy 160-420gm AX jigging rod. Matched to Avet MXL Reel Spooled with 80lb Green Whiplash - under as much tension as I could manage, 60lb flourocarbon leader via allbright knot. Intend to try this with 350gm Surecatch Jigs.

Problems:
Allbright knot will snap. It does in my fireline to fluoro knots. Dont know why..
Need terminal tackle suggestions that incorporate wire without spoiling action of jig.
Anyone got any experience with these rods? especially in regard to correct jig weight?

Ali.

·
5,457 Posts
The setup is:

Beastmaster Heavy 160-420gm AX jigging rod. Matched to Avet MXL Reel Spooled with 80lb Green Whiplash - under as much tension as I could manage, 60lb flourocarbon leader via allbright knot. Intend to try this with 350gm Surecatch Jigs.

Problems:
Allbright knot will snap. It does in my fireline to fluoro knots. Dont know why..
Need terminal tackle suggestions that incorporate wire without spoiling action of jig.
Anyone got any experience with these rods? especially in regard to correct jig weight?

Ali.

The Fireline might be your problem if its the original fused stuff instead of the newer braid.

Is the knot breaking or the flouro breaking at the knot? I would try a different knot like a uni to uni.

Wire will spoil action of jig no matter how/what you try. One option i know of is to use a oval solid ring with a swivel to get the leader farther away from the jig. Wire assist hooks work so that is a plus.

d-a

·
1,334 Posts
My bad, I use the Alberto knot.
I've used this with 80# braid and 80# mono topshots for jigging cod w/o a problem. Easy to tie, just remember to trim the ends close or the mono tends to get caught in the guides.

Edited, I had the wrong name of the knot!

·
3,719 Posts
Albright Special
I've used this with 80# braid and 80# mono topshots for jigging cod w/o a problem. Easy to tie, just remember to trim the ends close or the mono tends to get caught in the guides.

He said that he's using the albright. it's "snapping".The slim beauty is an alternative that may solve the problem.

·
1,334 Posts
Ah just saw I didn't read it close enough. I am using the Alberto knot not the albright. Alberto's Knot - Fishing Knot Article

You wrap down the loop, then back up to the closed end. They mention: "None of the loops of braid should jump on top of or over the other loops of braid - this is important! If even one loop jumps out of line, start over or you chance a break off at the worst possible time!"

·
1,386 Posts
The setup is:

Problems:

Ali.

When you say your Albright "snaps", can you use a scale and determine at what load, in pounds, it breaks at?

Although it is thin, the Albright is a middle-of-the-pack knot as far as strength goes. Roughly, a well tied Albright will reduce the strength of your braid by 40%.

I would not be surprised if your knot strength was 45 lbs. in 80# braid, it really depends on the ABS (actual breaking strength) of your particular line. It could be 70 lbs., or it could be 100 lbs. or more. That would give a range from 40 to 65 lbs. knot breaking strength, for well-tied knots.

Berkley Whiplash was discontinued by the company a few years ago so I haven't been able to break-test it to find its ABS. I'm not a fan of throwing away good material, so assuming the line you're using is in good physical condition, you need to find out its true strength. After that, there is a knot that will do the job.

One of the best ways to improve a "weak" braid, is to tie a 50 turn Bimini Twist in it. The Bimini will give you a doubled line. With that you can tie knots that are nearly 100% strong using the doubled portion of the Bimini.

Some other options: a P.R. knot--it will give you a nearly 100% connection. Or you could use the Bimini loop to connect a wind-on leader that you make or buy, also a 100% connection that is fast to connect/disconnect while you fish.

·
63 Posts
Used to use the sebile knot:
Fishing Videos :: Video :: Sebile Knot--A New Way To Attach Mono To Power Pro

Worked great. There's no "knot" either and you don't need any tools for it. Just burn both the tag ends of the mono and braid. I found it to be much more simple than other higher level knots. Only reason why I don't use it now was I didn't feel like taking the time to tie (just too lazy). Now I use the red phillips knot. Been working out fine too, although slightly larger.

·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys. Ive tested the whiplash (no fireline) with the rod and 60lb flouro leader. Allbright knot. Held under considerable pressure, upto 15lb drag at least. Im hoping this will do it. Im gonna be the first person to try out real jigging in Pakistan so its unchartered territory. Ive learnt the bobbin PR knot as well since im into flytying and will try that in the future.
Another question is how you guys control line overruns on the spool when the jig hits the bottom? The Avet freespools like crazy! They arent ideal jigging reels but im stuck with them and eventually want to match them to JM terminator 150gm on Avet SX and 350gm on Avet MXL.
Just trying to find a way to get these rods to Pakistan...

·
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im in Pakistan where there is NO jigging tackle. All the fishing is based on the Long Range Tuna pen 50W with 80lb mono trolling style. I got the avet reels for light trolling, and the rod and whiplash from the UK. The tackle dude told me that whiplash was good for multiplier reels. I have ordered some spools of Daiwa 5 colour braid in 60,80 and 130lb. Im hoping this is good jigging line?
Jig type, water depth, rigging with wire, learning to use braid, all these new things to learn....cant wait!

·
1,262 Posts
Haven't used those avets, but I would assume there is a spool tension knob on them somewhere. tighten it up just a smidge to avoid backlash...if you use the metered line, you'll have a good idea when it's about to hit bottom anyway.

·
1,334 Posts
The daiwa 80 is good stuff; I have it on my 3 jigging reels! For the backlash you are getting, keep your thumb on the spool as you lower it to keep a little tension on it. The metered braid helps because you will know when you are near the bottom!

Avets don't have the spool tension like is on other reels. Keep thumb tension on the line instead! You may try turning on the clicker, it may give a little resistance to the line.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts