Jigging Rods

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by Bullred2177, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Bullred2177

Bullred2177 Guest

Any comments on Hopper rods as found at Fishing Tackle Unlimited and Captain Harry's

Bullred2177

2. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

i have felt them
    havent used them

3. ToneyC

ToneyC Senior Member

I own several. Great rods for the price. Super tough and their not heavy.

4. papio

papio Senior Member

Excellent blanks. Have yet to break one on big fish yet. Nice price on the blanks too, only $43 - $47. I have 2 spinners and 1 conv with upgraded Fuji SIC.

5. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i've got the 4'10" rod. good rod for the money.

6. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Excellent blanks. Have yet to break one on big fish yet. Nice price on the blanks too, only $43 - $47. I have 2 spinners and 1 conv with upgraded Fuji SIC.

What kind of fish can you catch on them and which blank? I am looking for a stronger backbone rod with out the weight for comparable price as the trevalas if possible.

7. papio

papio Senior Member

How far you from Miami? If you can get to Capt Harry's and actually fondle a few rods you will be totally impress, and more so with the $$ it will cost you.

I have the 270g and 600g spinners, and 600g conv. I believe the 600g rods will handle up to 150 lb YFT. The Hoppers are parabolic, strong, and with good backbone.

Search this site or the Noreast site for a few of Kilsongs posts where he and his party were using several rods including the Hopper. They were yanking in nice size fish. I think it's the post where Kil were field testing the Saragosa.

8. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I tested Hooper 500g 5'8" conventional rods for big AJ and tuna.
    It is very light (12 0z) and very strong with parabolic action.
    I think the rod can handle big tuna. Some guys like light tip with fast action to give some action to the jigs. This rod is not for them as the tip section is prety thick and stiff.

9. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

How far you from Miami? If you can get to Capt Harry's and actually fondle a few rods you will be totally impress, and more so with the $$ it will cost you.

I have the 270g and 600g spinners, and 600g conv. I believe the 600g rods will handle up to 150 lb YFT. The Hoppers are parabolic, strong, and with good backbone.

Search this site or the Noreast site for a few of Kilsongs posts where he and his party were using several rods including the Hopper. They were yanking in nice size fish. I think it's the post where Kil were field testing the Saragosa.

See that is my problem. I am up here in the panhandle and the only jigging rods within 60 miles of me are trevalla rods and I have 2 now but want something light with some serious kick butt action in it. I jig all day now so I don't need anything heavy and I need to get something as good as possible for as little as possible because of the economic crunch.

10. hatidua

hatidua Senior Member

Those Hopper rods offer a lot of bang for the buck. I have the conventional 4'10" 400g model and it's probably the most value I've gotten in a rod that costs so little.

11. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

I don't like the extremely short rods like that for jigging, it feels like you have a broom stick in your hands. I prefer a little longer rods.

12. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

I don't like the extremely short rods like that for jigging, it feels like you have a broom stick in your hands. I prefer a little longer rods.
    not all short rods feel that way, many are very parabolic.

13. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

I have built on them nice blanks.. They make inshore graphite blanks too..

You can buy the blanks from Rod and Reel parts .com so far no problems & they have good action..But if you plan to build I would go with a Calstar or GUSA blank ..

14. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

I agree thats why I like the GUSA 602 or 603 you can cut some off the back end & you have a great jigging rod..No broom stick here..

15. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

I have built on them nice blanks.. They make inshore graphite blanks too..

You can buy the blanks from Rod and Reel parts .com so far no problems & they have good action..But if you plan to build I would go with a Calstar or GUSA blank ..

Do you build rods?

16. papio

papio Senior Member

i like them broom sticks to yank very large grouper away from rigs. would'nt have it any other way, hehehe. yanking power baby!!

17. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

Do you build rods?

Yes I do ..I build most of my rod's on Calstar,Seeker & Gusa blanks..If there anything I can help you with feel free to ask......

18. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

i like them broom sticks to yank very large grouper away from rigs. would'nt have it any other way, hehehe. yanking power baby!!
    yeah some time broomsticks are nice:D :eek:

19. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

yeah some time broomsticks are nice:D :eek:

I don't need a broomstick to catch the grouper I might encounter with my 21' CC. I just need something with half the broomstick power.

20. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

I don't need a broomstick to catch the grouper I might encounter with my 21' CC. I just need something with half the broomstick power.
    maybe i can "design" you a new model...the half broom stick:D :p
    sounds like a winner