Jigging rod

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by simpleman, Mar 31, 2009.

1. simpleman

simpleman Junior member

Looking to up grade rods. Think about going to a Jigging Master Power Spell Jigging Rod 500g. Any input would be nice before shelling out 500 doller. Is it worth the money or should I stick with the shimano trevala.

2. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

whatre you fishing for/how much drag do you use? i think youd be better off with a 350g rod unless you're fishing really high drags for huge fish. its a great rod but for fish up to 100, 120lbs then 350g is probably a better rod.

3. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

they are nice rods. a good blank,
    the 500 for big fish,
    these blanks are heavier weight than most.

there are alot of better choices than the shimano when upgrading.
    what is your target fish?
    the oti is a good choice also.

4. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

That is what I am talking about. OTI blows Shimano, Daiwa and the same grade group away. And that for just a few more dollars.

5. hstsw

hstsw Senior Member

Shimano Trevala is more suitable for inshore red snappers - 'noodle rod' type - very sensitive but no backbone
    JM500 is great rod - build for heavy drag, etc... more like OTI600gr class rod

6. simpleman

simpleman Junior member

whatre you fishing for/how much drag do you use? i think youd be better off with a 350g rod unless you're fishing really high drags for huge fish. its a great rod but for fish up to 100, 120lbs then 350g is probably a better rod.
    Love to get them big A.j, have not broke the 100# mark yet 87# is my best but the 500g would be for the heaver jig,I fish with bottom fisher so i use 300-500 jig so i dont get wrap up in there line .I use a torsa with the bottom fishing 50drag and 100#power-pro

7. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

simpleman, check your PM (private message).

8. hstsw

hstsw Senior Member

Love to get them big A.j, have not broke the 100# mark yet 87# is my best but the 500g would be for the heaver jig,I fish with bottom fisher so i use 300-500 jig so i dont get wrap up in there line .I use a torsa with the bottom fishing 50drag and 100#power-pro
    Seems that JM500 rod is suitable for that :D Ironman type fishing