360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner

Jigging rod suggestion

6K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  evergreener 
#1 ·
I'm in NJ fishing on a private boat. I have a stella 10k that I want to pair with a jigging rod for 80# tuna. Need some recommendations. Budget <450$. Thanks.

#5 ·
Good morning I think I replied your post on FB.

We are advocated and dealers for the Japan made Ripplefisher and Yamaga. Once you fish Japanese rods you will never go back to Chinese made product.... its that cut and dry. We can get you into a Yamaga that would be perfect with a 10K for NJ for under $480 - lets chat later!

Font Slope Screenshot Publication Room
Font Glove Fashion accessory Personal protective equipment Garden tool

#6 ·
I fished the same water as well! For your budget and target, I think you have many selections, from blackhole, Chiron, shimano or daiwa. Like everyone has suggested, the black hole 250/350 is hard to beat. If I may add the Centaur Chiron Jigging Rods are really sweet too! I have tried and seen both of these rods in action subduing tuna bigger than the class you are targeting. Many can testify their quality.

But I also seen charter captains using the st. croix mojo jigging rods in medium power for most part of the tuna fishery there. Those seems to be economically priced rods if you don't want to go towards the high end of your budget.

#7 ·
And of course, if JDM quality is what you seek, the suggested Ripplefisher and Yamaga will do amazing as well. I have friends who swear by their ripplefisher and yamaga casting rods. I am sure their jigging rods are nice too.

@Boston Tangler, do you mind sharing some thoughts on which models you think will work great in that budget? I have not seen anyone with these jigging rods in action yet, but definitely curious to learn more about them while we're on the topic.

#9 ·
Star Rods Plasma series has a faster action but you can still maintain a comfortable rhythm with the rod. There heaviest model can be had for 330 with Fuji reel seat, SIC guides, and lifetime warranty (I think). It jigs ~250-400g well. You can really put the heat on rod when need but is still light (I don’t know the exact weight). I think this is a good domestic alternative to the typical Japanese selections.

#11 · (Edited)
Jigging master should be on the short list here also.
As should a few others. Synit is still around in a limited capacity.and are killer rods.
Tenryu Jig zam is available I believe.
Jigstar makes a killer rod for this but shipping one here can make it costly.

Might be worth a cruise around eBay for some of these maybe someone is doing free shipping.
Jigging master can be had in the states. evike and kil at jig n pop are carrying their stuff. I own a number of JM rods,tough to beat them.
A lot of options out there.

#16 ·
I have Jigstar rods in the states, new but several years old for sale but do not have any slow jigging rods. Thought I would let those of you interested know.

#15 ·
Seen his work in person while fishing with a friend and I gotta say Garone does some quality build! My friend went with the basic build, but I can only imagine how beautiful the mixed cork look in real life. ;) Cork handle also makes up for a lighter build too in my experience with my JDM rods. But you get what you pay for.

#17 ·
Guys, thanks for all your advice, so many great choices out there. I have black hole jigging rods from 150g up to 450g in a conventional set up already, so wanted to try something different. I finally went with a synit kaha that I got here on 360tuna, can't wait to put it to use. I'll agree with everyone that Mike Garone does great work, I have 4-5 rods that he built for me.....so far.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.