jigging rod question

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by sharpshooter, Apr 8, 2009.

1. sharpshooter

sharpshooter Senior Member

i have been using 2 Daiwa Saltiga (US) jigging rods and have been happy so far. One is the 5'11" H model tested earlier and it is perfect with a Saltiga 20 and 50# braid. the other is a 5'9" XXH 80-200 rod. i have not seen one anywhere else or in their catalog. the rod has alot more backbone than an OTI 600g and a faster tip; not really parabolic. ive caught a few 35lb ajs with it and the rod had only a slight curve. my question is what am i sacrificing with the stiffer tip of this rod? i was thinking of upgrading to an OTI 600g because it is proven and i know it is better quality. side by side the OTI tip is much lighter and loads closer to the foregrip. i considered using this rod for bottom fishing, but the reel seat is small for larger reels. should i upgrade, or leave it alone? it is matched with an upgraded Saltiga 40 and 80# OTI braid. thanks

2. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

With a stiff tip, you might not be able to create the jig action properly. What is your target fish for this setup, because the OTI 600g is a beast rod. I would suggest you get a OTI 300g (on sale right now at tackledirect.com with free shipping for under $200) or wait till middle of summer for the OTI 400g. I would put the Saltiga 20 on the OTI 300g and not 600g, however, the Saltiga 40 should balance on any of the OTI's.

3. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

the 300 is very fun rod. it has a soft tip so you could use smaller jigs. it still has plenty of backbone to handle most aj's in most situations. It also wont tax you as bad because you use less effort to jig all day. the 600g is a very nice but probably more similar to the saltiga xxh than you might think.
    i would borrow one or both before buying just to be sure. Oti quality is unmatched in this price range so either way youll be happy.

4. sharpshooter

one thing that didnt make sense is that both of my rods are rated for 270-330 jigs. the xxh is substantianally stiffer and should be rated much higher. i will be targeting yft and larger ajs.

5. idigitu88

idigitu88 Junior member

I'm curious not to hijack the thread i got a jigstick rated for 40 to 60lb line whats the drag rating for a rod in this class? Thanx in advance

6. sharpshooter

drag rating is line weight divided by 3. so about 15lbs for your rod

7. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

I don't remember seeing them last Fall, so I think the XH and XXH are relatively new... But they're listed at TackleDirect:
    Daiwa Saltiga Boat Jigging Rods - TackleDirect

I'd use what you have unless you just want another rod.

Don't get me wrong... There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a variety of weapons, and NOTHING wrong with upgrading to OTI! BUT, do it knowing that your rods are likely more similar to 300g and 600g OTI in function than they are different.

In other words, if you're gonna take the next step to becoming a certified Tackle HO, just do it! Real justification for more rods usually isn't there! :D

Seriously though... The Saltigas are good rods. The only issue I know of is the use of thread epoxy that wasn't hard enough. So some guides would wiggle if you tried. Mine never failed and only the stripper would wiggle when I forced it. (I'm rebuilding it to 5'3" so that's no longer an issue!;)) This may have been corrected by now... Otherwse they are Very Nice, THICK blanks, the Alconite guides are good, and the rest of the construction is very solid.

The H is just about perfectly rated IMO at 30-60lb and 200-300g. I've never seen it, but guessing the XXH is more like 600 or 700g from your description. It may be overkill for most fish and tip stiff, but most rods in this range are too.

I think, as previously mentioned, that you are likely looking for that tweener rod... Softer tip for working 250-400g, but enough backbone to put more than 20lbs of drag on better fish. The 400g OTI available later this Summer IS that rod. :)

8. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

...In other words, if you're gonna take the next step to becoming a certified Tackle HO, just do it! Real justification for more rods usually isn't there! :D

Jason,
    Good point. Thats what I am going through now. And I like it! hahaha

.... looking for that tweener rod... Softer tip for working 250-400g, but enough backbone to put more than 20lbs of drag on better fish. The 400g OTI available later this Summer IS that rod. :)

I love my 600g OTI and the new 400g rod sound like the ideal tweener rod I am looking for.

Ty