360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If it were you, which one would you choose?

Fisherman Spinoza 5122 or 5121
vs
MC Works SD 538XX

I fished Smith Nirai at Keys FL. It worked fine but a bit exhausting. I am now looking for a better jigging rod coz I may fly there many times fishing after the surf fishing season.

5122/5121 has been on the market for about 10 years so the tech is kinda outdated. I also heard some mysterious breakage. The rod weighs about 420~440g.

SD 538XX is relatively new to the market. It weighs 360g, and the jig rating is 250~600g. However it is one piece, not like spinoza butt joint which can be tucked away as a carry on when travel south.

Please share your opinion with me. Thanks a million.

·
4,723 Posts
The MC Works SD 538XX is a much stiffer rod than the Spinoza 5122 or 5121. I fished the 5122 and 5121 extensively last year and they were some of the best rods I have ever jigged with. Very forgiving on the angler on big fish hookup. The only drawback is the weight of the finished rods.

I'd like to throw in the Synit Tuna Pro 200 as an alternative to those rods. You can custom build it, finished out for around 340g or slightly less with superior components for less money, and it has very similar action to the Spinoza 5121. Contact Mikey from Synit if you're interested in finding more info on them:

Synitusa.com : Wilmington NC : 910.352.2470 : [email protected]

·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The MC Works SD 538XX is a much stiffer rod than the Spinoza 5122 or 5121. I fished the 5122 and 5121 extensively last year and they were some of the best rods I have ever jigged with. Very forgiving on the angler on big fish hookup. The only drawback is the weight of the finished rods.

I'd like to throw in the Synit Tuna Pro 200 as an alternative to those rods. You can custom build it, finished out for around 340g or slightly less with superior components for less money, and it has very similar action to the Spinoza 5121. Contact Mikey from Synit if you're interested in finding more info on them:

Synitusa.com : Wilmington NC : 910.352.2470 : [email protected]

Thank you very much. I will definitely think about the Synit.

But if it is between 538XX and 5121 you would choose the latter, right? You know the only thing preventing me of buying a spinoza is it got a 10 years old blank.

·
4,723 Posts
Thank you very much. I will definitely think about the Synit.

But if it is between 538XX and 5121 you would choose the latter, right? You know the only thing preventing me of buying a spinoza is it got a 10 years old blank.

Personally, I would choose the 5121, it's more forgiving on an angler's body IMO. Fisherman just came out with a new 512 series called Sparta. I have not heard anything about them. Might want to contact Plat Japan to see what they say:

PLAT/Fishing Tackle Store-Fishing Equipment/Catalog-SaltWater Fishing-Rod-FISHERMAN Rod-SPARTA Short 512-en

The Synit is a very good alternative as it produces similar action and has a great reputation for being a high quality product.

·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Personally, I would choose the 5121, it's more forgiving on an angler's body IMO. Fisherman just came out with a new 512 series called Sparta. I have not heard anything about them. Might want to contact Plat Japan to see what they say:

PLAT/Fishing Tackle Store-Fishing Equipment/Catalog-SaltWater Fishing-Rod-FISHERMAN Rod-SPARTA Short 512-en

The Synit is a very good alternative as it produces similar action and has a great reputation for being a high quality product.

Thank you so much. I have browsed the Synit's website and might give them a call after the hurricane.

You are really well informed. I have never heard of the Fisherman Sparta. I will contact Plat to see if I can get a Sparta 5121 for AJ and Tuna.

Thanks again.

·
2,177 Posts
Thank you so much. I have browsed the Synit's website and might give them a call after the hurricane.

You are really well informed. I have never heard of the Fisherman Sparta. I will contact Plat to see if I can get a Sparta 5121 for AJ and Tuna.

Thanks again.

As Han said, the SD538XX is a different class than the Spinoza 5121/5122. The 538 is much stiffer rod.... a Spinoza 5120 or 512CC would be more comparable. SD538XX is a much faster rod than the Spinoza. As Han, the Spinoza is easier on the angler but if you're fishing the bottom most of the time, the advantage goes to SD538XX. I have fished both rods before.

You can take a look at the Spinoza Pascal.... newer series (only a few years old) and it's nicer feel than the normal Spinoza.

I just found out about the Sparta, too. Not sure what the main difference is as it's so new. Don't think Plat has any in stock. One difference is the Sparta has decoration on the rod (spinners), so more bling!

Tony

·
4,723 Posts
Another noteworthy spinning rod is the Valley Hill Mogi Special. I fished that rod a couple of times so far and the feel is fantastic. It is not super stiff, just right amount of bend and backbone for a heavy spinning jigger. Weight is 340g as well for the rod. It is worth considering and the price is right.

·
Registered
825 Posts
another alternative is ripple fisher f-stick ocean scan or deep monster.
f-stick series is the stiffest line up from ripple fisher, but its also lightest in weight.

i use the ocean scan,
it rated pe-6 and 300 gram jig, but easily can jig 500 grams jig.... :D
standard version of ocean scan weight around 250 grams,
mine is 240 grams due to customized split eva in rear grip for easier short stroke jigging.

its light, but the backbone is really strong.... ;)

·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the nice input and very useful info. I will for sure take a look at what you recommended. You guys rock.

As for the fisherman and MC Works, it seems that all of you give good words on fisherman's rod. I already made inquiry to Plat about the newer version of spinoza and the newest version. Hopefully I could have their response in several days.

The Spinoza has been on the market for about 10 years, which is good but I am hesitating in spending 1K+ on some rods so "old". The spinoza pascal short 5121 and the newest Sparta 5121 look nice. I'll see what Plat says about the availability and lead time.

Again, thank you all very much.

·
-- Tackle Ho --
2,793 Posts
Kvkv, the Pascal is a new rod on the old spinoza platform. I honestly not sure about the Sparta but looking from it, it could be another spinoza that has been upgrade. Spinoza imo is the best one. The 5122 is awesome for FL water, not too big yet not too small. As for Lordhell suggestion for 5121, it is good as well but if you looking for fun for FL water get the 5122. As far as MC works 538, like lordhell and tony said... It is a beast of a rod, you will not enjoy using it here in FL, i think its too much of a rod. If you looking for something in the same class or close to the 5121 or 5122, check out the SB535, as far as the quality of the MC works, there is no question that small rod can take big fish. I landed a 70lbs AJ on the NB574 very easily. The max drag on that rod is 8kg but i had about 22lbs on it at the end. Another one that you want to look at is synit tuna pro 200, that one is the closest to 5122. Great rod as well. Hope this help.

·
-- Tackle Ho --
2,793 Posts
As a reminder we sold many MC-Works rods in the past 2 1/2 years, landed massive fish on most of the models with 0 breackage, anglers in Japan wait for over 1 years to get an MC-works rod for a reason!

X2 on the one year... :D :D

·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
toppuntawong, thank you for the advice. I finally ordered spinoza 5121 for less money and will get it within this week. I also ordered a sparta 5122 to fish FL water. Plat said the lead time is around 2 months. Hopefully I won't change my mind during the lead time.

Saltywatertackle, thank you as well. I know MC Works rods rock, and love them when I saw them in your store. Honestly if it's not for travel wise, I would for sure to get 538 or 535.

One thing I really don't understand Japanese high end rods builders is that their rods need a long time to be delivered. They might not know there is a little thing called buyer's remorse. During the long time waiting, not everyone stay loyal to what they ordered.

·
2,177 Posts
toppuntawong, thank you for the advice. I finally ordered spinoza 5121 for less money and will get it within this week. I also ordered a sparta 5122 to fish FL water. Plat said the lead time is around 2 months. Hopefully I won't change my mind during the lead time.

Saltywatertackle, thank you as well. I know MC Works rods rock, and love them when I saw them in your store. Honestly if it's not for travel wise, I would for sure to get 538 or 535.

One thing I really don't understand Japanese high end rods builders is that their rods need a long time to be delivered. They might not know there is a little thing called buyer's remorse. During the long time waiting, not everyone stay loyal to what they ordered.

FYI. The new Sparta Spinoza is a fast action rod and stronger bent than Pascal. This is directly from Fisherman. If I would've known the Sparta was coming out, I probably would ordered it instead of the Pascal I just received. For me, I prefer my conventional fast action and spinning slow action.

The Sparta's 2pc connection is now screw joint and also comes w/ decoration, which previous Spinoza spinning model doesn't have.

Attachments

·
489 Posts

You should read MC Work's statement on their website (sure its in Japanese but I used google translator) and you would understand not only you wait a year but 18 months and you would also understand why so long.

·
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You should read MC Work's statement on their website (sure its in Japanese but I used google translator) and you would understand not only you wait a year but 18 months and you would also understand why so long.

Indeed. During the past one and half month I have become a Fisherman fan. Three Fisherman rods on hand now and one is on order. I fished 535 as well. Both Fisherman and MC Works rods are great rods.

Still, the long waiting time stopped me from ordering more Japanese high end rods. I would like to check Saltywatertackle's inventory regularly instead of placing orders and waiting for a year or more to have them.

·
2,177 Posts
Indeed. During the past one and half month I have become a Fisherman fan. Three Fisherman rods on hand now and one is on order. I fished 535 as well. Both Fisherman and MC Works rods are great rods.

Still, the long waiting time stopped me from ordering more Japanese high end rods. I would like to check Saltywatertackle's inventory regularly instead of placing orders and waiting for a year or more to have them.

Join the club as Fisherman fan :D Please share which one you own now!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.