360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have it narrowed down to the following to pair up with my 20000sw for jigging tuna (yft and bft), all of which are light (under 11oz) and will likely come down to feel/action/pulling power. Its hard to find just the "right" rod which is not like a broomstick for yellowfin/bluefin in the 50-80# class, but can also handle the occasional bluefin pushing 150#-175# on bluefin jigging trips:

Black Hole Cape Cod carbon rod, 350g pe4-9 (factory rods expected by late Feb)

Hots One Pitch Slider 56xh

Smith AMJ52EX @ 455.95 pe4-8 400g

Smith WGJ s56h 400g pe4-8

Smith WRC-55nirai 8pe 500g

Any further comments are MUCH appreciated. thanks!

·
659 Posts
The smith amj is always a good choice, I have a couple of those and have yet to max out.....However I hear that the black hole rods are going to be in a class with (maybe even above) my personal favorite heavy stick the 500g powerspell. All are good solid choices, "wise man say-there is no limit on tackle-get em all"

·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have heard/read the Black Hole carbon rods have ridiculous pulling power and cannot be broken--may allow me to get by with a 350g rod that has a soft enough action to enjoy jigging yellowfin, with enough b_lls to wrestle a 150# class bft.

What class tuna have you handled with the Smith AMJ?

·
659 Posts
I have heard/read the Black Hole carbon rods have ridiculous pulling power and cannot be broken--may allow me to get by with a 350g rod that has a soft enough action to enjoy jigging yellowfin, with enough b_lls to wrestle a 150# class bft.

What class tuna have you handled with the Smith AMJ?
I have nailed 100# YFT to the wall with that stick!:D It was never an issue of the rod having enough cohones to get it done, it was more about the angler and his skills or lack thereof:eek:

·
SPONSOR
11,848 Posts
Carpenter OH56MH-S , jig wt. 250_700 gr. , PE 5~8 , max.drag 12 kg and weigh 328 gr. . Kil Song is the agent for USA . :p

Jon .
I was informed from Carpenter that OH jigging rods were ready, but they suggested to send them with other popping rods.

When I have time, I'd like to post pictures of AMJ52EX, Nirai, JM, Black Hole, Hots One Pitch Slider and several different Ripple Fisher rods for members to see how they bend.

·
3,719 Posts
I was informed from Carpenter that OH jigging rods were ready, but they suggested to send them with other popping rods.

When I have time, I'd like to post pictures of AMJ52EX, Nirai, JM, Black Hole, Hots One Pitch Slider and several different Ripple Fisher rods for members to see how they bend.

I can't wait :)

·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

That would be great! I have really been struggling to understand the various actions between the rods.

Thank you.

·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm going to go off the norm here and vote for the 55Nirai. :) Stella 20kSW balances perfect on the 55Nirai.

Thanks for the feedback. Have you used this setup for tuna jigging? If so, so, how did it perform and what size fish could it handle? Looking for something sporty enough for 50-80# class yellowfin, but with enough power to handle occassionally larger 150# bluefin.

·
4,723 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Have you used this setup for tuna jigging? If so, so, how did it perform and what size fish could it handle? Looking for something sporty enough for 50-80# class yellowfin, but with enough power to handle occassionally larger 150# bluefin.

This setup is primarily for the 100# and up fish you're targeting, it would not really be sporty for 50-80lb class yellowfin IMO. However, I feel the Nirai jigs 300-400g jigs extremely well and provide a tremendous amount of reserve for any monsters you may encounter yet not a broomstick at all. Nice feature on this rod is that it's a 2 piece butt joint rod, so traveling with it is very nice.

·
2,753 Posts
I believe certain smith rods have a softer top and are willing to serve lighter jigs then listed for.
This is true for the 55nirai (2-piece) and WGJ line. (both beasts)

The WGJ (i own), is a faster action (although not fast) version of the nirai which is probably as noted above very well balanced with the 20k size/weight. (2-piece)

The SOS56XH (i own) is more of a medium parabolic rod, much like other HOTS and does bend through the handle. (1 piece)

I can see you using both the hots and wgj for smaller tuna as well as some bigger ones. The better handling rod to the wgj. It is more responsive to lighter jigs. The higher capabilites to the SOS.

Black hole rod (one piece as of now) is certainly powerspell action (parabolic) but 500g is in the class of the Nirai. I believe it's tip is stiffer then the Nirai.

Good luck

·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I believe certain smith rods have a softer top and are willing to serve lighter jigs then listed for.
This is true for the 55nirai (2-piece) and WGJ line. (both beasts)

The WGJ (i own), is a faster action (although not fast) version of the nirai which is probably as noted above very well balanced with the 20k size/weight. (2-piece)

The SOS56XH (i own) is more of a medium parabolic rod, much like other HOTS and does bend through the handle. (1 piece)

I can see you using both the hots and wgj for smaller tuna as well as some bigger ones. The better handling rod to the wgj. It is more responsive to lighter jigs. The higher capabilites to the SOS.

Black hole rod (one piece as of now) is certainly powerspell action (parabolic) but 500g is in the class of the Nirai. I believe it's tip is stiffer then the Nirai.

Good luck

Very informative, thank you. I think it will come down to the SOS56XH, Nirai and Black Hole. The Black Hole I thought was rated 350g, not 500g?

Does the SOS56XH handle smaller jigs well as might be used to target yellowfin in the NE canyons?

·
2,753 Posts
nice choice.

I was refering to the 500g but yes there is a 350g version.
Not quite experianced enough to tell you about NE canyon fishing for yellowfin with the SOS. I just bought it over the last summer.
It handled the hooker 1 220g jig perfectly.

·
652 Posts
Does the SOS56XH handle smaller jigs well as might be used to target yellowfin in the NE canyons?

In my experience NE canyon YFT are not shy to larger jigs, so I wouldn't worry about smaller jigs. I've seen 30lbers eagerly go after 10+ oz. jigs. I usually target yellowfin with 8-10oz jigs, even the smaller models go after them all the time.

·
Banned
223 Posts
I've own most of the rods in this post SOS xh, Jm500, AMJ ex, Carp OH, 55 nirai too many but my go to rod is the Hot's OPS I've landed monsters of all types with ease. Will be fishing it in Venice all week along with Mariana 200 /Jm Pe4, Z6k/Amj Ex, Ops/20k sw. The bend is sick!!
OPS = one pitch slider

·
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've own most of the rods in this post SOS xh, Jm500, AMJ ex, Carp OH, 55 nirai too many but my go to rod is the Hot's OPS I've landed monsters of all types with ease. Will be fishing it in Venice all week along with Mariana 200 /Jm Pe4, Z6k/Amj Ex, Ops/20k sw. The bend is sick!!

I thought the Hot's OPS XH is fast action, with less parabolic bend, and overkill for tuna over 75#? :confused: Very light, and can handle larger tuna, but seems to bee too much for 40-60# tuna.

·
Banned
223 Posts
I agree it is overkill for small tuna, I do a lot of bottom fishing for warsaw and gags....also Ajs 80 lb + so I really need it but you are right 60 lb tuna would be fun on a Jm 200 or 250

1 - 20 of 21 Posts