jigging rod for saltist

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by jiggawhat, Jan 11, 2008.

1. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

I live in florida(jacksonville) and im looking for a jigging rod for my saltist 40(with carbontex washers). Ive heard that the shimano rods have no backbone and even heard of them breaking! Is the saltiga jigging rod worth a look?Oti?Shimano? I am a student on a budget but will save $ for quality stuff. I have 65lb power pro on the reel right now. The rod is a shimano Saragossa 20-50. JIgs 4-7 ounces, larger jigs if necessary. Just askin for a little help here!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:thanks

2. fishr1989

fishr1989 Senior Member

I'd go with the OTI jigging rods.

Ragman (Tom) here on the site sells them.

360tackle.com

Great rods for the money, and he also sells 7 & 7.5' popping rods if you use a spinning reel for tuna poppers.

5'6" Jigging Rod
    600 gram jigs

6' Jigging Rod
    300 gram jigs

3. papio

papio Senior Member

OTI and Hopper Rods are good choices for your Saltist You might want to checkout the VanStaal Jigging sticks too.

4. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

OTI jig rods are light weight, comfortable, priced moderatley and are very high quality you would be wise to make them your choice.

5. TOO

TOO Senior member

Jiggy, a bit off topic but kinda on.......is your 40 a 4.9 or 6.4?

6. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

4.9 gears. i changed the handle to the longer position if that changes anything. I read you only needed the higher gear ratio if your "speed jigging
    " so i bought the lower ratio. does anyone know the drag lbs with carbontexwashers?i havnt tested.

7. thenewkid

thenewkid Senior Member

I saw alantani who is a member of this site and many others,post a review of him doing the exact same thing to this reel and i believe it pulled 25#'s of drag or a lil over. maybe he will chime in if not look him up and pm him. hope this helps.

8. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

thanks kid that sounds bout right.