360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in florida(jacksonville) and im looking for a jigging rod for my saltist 40(with carbontex washers). Ive heard that the shimano rods have no backbone and even heard of them breaking! Is the saltiga jigging rod worth a look?Oti?Shimano? I am a student on a budget but will save $ for quality stuff. I have 65lb power pro on the reel right now. The rod is a shimano Saragossa 20-50. JIgs 4-7 ounces, larger jigs if necessary. Just askin for a little help here!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:thanks

·
655 Posts
I'd go with the OTI jigging rods.

Ragman (Tom) here on the site sells them.

360tackle.com

Great rods for the money, and he also sells 7 & 7.5' popping rods if you use a spinning reel for tuna poppers.

5'6" Jigging Rod
600 gram jigs

6' Jigging Rod
300 gram jigs

·
406 Posts
OTI jig rods are light weight, comfortable, priced moderatley and are very high quality you would be wise to make them your choice.

·
3,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
4.9 gears. i changed the handle to the longer position if that changes anything. I read you only needed the higher gear ratio if your "speed jigging
" so i bought the lower ratio. does anyone know the drag lbs with carbontexwashers?i havnt tested.

·
406 Posts
I saw alantani who is a member of this site and many others,post a review of him doing the exact same thing to this reel and i believe it pulled 25#'s of drag or a lil over. maybe he will chime in if not look him up and pm him. hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.