Jigging Rod for Bluefin

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by dkhunter, Aug 6, 2009.

1. dkhunter

dkhunter Junior member

I have been catching the big bluefin off New Jersey on the troll the last few weeks. Now I want to get more into the Jigging that a bunch of boats are doing. I just bought a Accurate BX2-600 and now need a rod.

I was looking at the OTI's and a few others. What rod would you guys suggest? How heavy do I need to go to catch these fish in the 160-200lb range?

2. wadefisherman

wadefisherman Tuna Club Member

OTI g3 600g or Jigging master power spell 500g

3. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I have the same question and I have been researching a few rods I have in mind.

JM 350-400g
    OTI 400g
    OR Ten Thousand X

4. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I have the same question and I have been researching a few rods I have in mind.

JM 350-400g
    OTI 400g
    OR Ten Thousand X

Rich, I got an OR Ten Thousand X Ti and that is one hell of a rod. I would say it's stiffer than the OTI 400g and JM 350/400, but man it's feather light. A perfect pair up with Stella SW 10000PG or 8000PG. I have no doubts that the OR rod can spank those big bluefins up there now, definitely recomended.

5. rtran

rtran Senior Member

I was set on getting the OR Ten Thousand X but instead of being one track minded I opened up to see what else is comparable. It's an expensive stick but I got to bend it when I was up north and love it.

I also bent the 400g OTI and its weight and bend are similiar to the OR but half the cost!

Then I threw in the JM but I have not felt how the bend of 350g-400g is.

6. A.whitman

A.whitman Senior Member

i used the 400g oti this weekend and hooked into some monsters. the rod was way a head of the stella 8k. i love the rod for sure.

7. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I had several appreciation calls from guys who use JM 500g rods for big bluefin out of NJ. You never know how the rod react until you fight big bluefin with it.
    Big blueifn in 150 - 200 can test your tackles. I was surprised one Japanese Cosmtech custom rod got shattered by a big bluefin today. I am going to test my new light spinning jigging rod for big bluefin tomorrow.

8. gman

gman Senior Member

I would say the 600g OTI is too much rod, personally I would use the 400g rod. You want it to bend and deflect energy off you and onto the fish

9. jig42na

jig42na Spinal Rods

We been fishing these tuna pretty hard and I would say the JM400 is the perfect blank. I don't have one I fish the 350g and 500g and like both. But I fished the 400 and see them in action 2-3 times a week. The 400 is perfect. I'm not a fan of the 600OTI.

10. hamptonsurf

hamptonsurf Senior Member

I have a Dragonfly rod, but it is spinning. For the money, I think it's awesome and would recommend it to anyone. I would guess that the casting version is just as sweet.

11. rtran

rtran Senior Member

So I am on track.

I feel the OTI 600g is too much rod and the 400g can do 200lb and under tuna as it bends good and has good lifting power. Thanks for input glenn.

Thanks for input on the JM400 also jig42na.

12. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

dkhunter,

I have a BX2-600 and a BX2-30 that I use for jigging. They are sweet. If I was targeting 160-200# bluefins like you guys have been catching, then I would park that 600 reel on a 500-600g rod. I tend to fish with more drag than most people so I prefer the heavier stick. I have both the OTI 600g and JM500 powerspell. Both are excellent rods for the tuna you are chasing. Remember this: Conventional rods will have the line cutting into the foregrip if using heavier drag pressure. A heavier rated rod will prevent this problem and give your thumb some wiggle room.

Fisherman come in different sizes and shapes. Advanced anglers can get by with lower rated rods. Some guys use the rod to lift the fish, others point the tip at the fish and use the reels drag with lower rated rods. If you are 200+ in weight, and like pumping a fish up, then go with the heavier rod on these nice sized bluefins.

13. panamasportfishinglodge

panamasportfishinglodge Site Sponsor

I used OTI jigging rods on "BIG" fish

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. ksong

ksong SPONSOR

I think JM 400g is good for upto 130 - 150 lbs though 400g can handle bigger tuna and 500g is more effective for tuna over 150 lbs.
    See action of JM500g while fighting a 150 - 170 lbs tuna.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. panamasportfishinglodge

panamasportfishinglodge Site Sponsor

we worked the JM 500 here at the lodge as well and they can take a beating

[​IMG]

16. SeaWolf

SeaWolf Junior member

17. e-sea-e

e-sea-e Junior member

I would say the 600g OTI is too much rod, personally I would use the 400g rod. You want it to bend and deflect energy off you and onto the fish

I have caught a few 150+ tuna on the oti 600 gram rod as well, and I agree, its too much rod for these fish. not enough bend, you fight the fish too far up the rod IMO, and you feel it.

The rod I have been using belongs to a friend who let me use it to test it. I am now thinking about picking up the oti 400 gram rod, but Im concerned it may have too much bend to transfer any lifting power.

I started using these types of rods 2 years ago, got a trevela xxh, back when 48" tuna were the norm. that rod was just fine for those fish. last year, high 50" class fish were the norm, and that rod just didnt cut it. this year, Ive been looking for a jigging rod that can handle these bigger fish.

my fear with the 400 gram rod is that I'll end up with the same problem I had with the trevelas...too much bend.

we are fishing in the basically same area and fighting the same fish. any more thoughts on the 400 gram OTI for these fish? thanks dude, PM me if you like.

also, are the OTI rods parabolic rods? I cant tell b/c I cant get the 600 gram to bend that far, Im thinking they are not. thanks, any info appreciated.

sorry to highjack the thread a bit here.

18. John_Madison CT

John_Madison CT Senior Member

e-sea-e: How much drag are you fishing? It seems to be that the OTI 600g bends a lot with 20lbs of drag.

19. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

The 600g rod is meant to be used with very heavy drag. The 400g rod is parabolic but it is not a noodle rod. It has the backbone.

With any jigging rod as i'm sure you know - the key is to fish the appropriate amount of pressure for that rod. to much and it bottoms out, too little and it doesn't bend properly.

I think you will be extremely satisfied with the 400g rod.

20. mike garone

mike garone Well-Known Member