360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read various opinions on jigging rods. It sounds like it comes down to what you fish for, how you fish, where you fish, and what reel you have.

I just ordered an Okuma Makaira 10000, I fish mid-shore off NJ for BFT on my own boat, and I'll be using this rod for jigging 90% of the time. I've been fishing with my buddy's gear so far. He recommends the Trevala 5'8" because that what he uses with his Stella. I'd like to stay with a carbon or fiber/Grahite blended parabolic rod.

What rods or rod specs do you recommend? Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The Trevala held up for a 70 lb BFT. The Trevala is a TFS-58H, rated for 65lb braid and 270-325gm jigs. I don't know how well it would do for a bigger tuna, which is part of the reason I am asking. I just don't know enough yet. What rod would you recommend? Thanks.

·
Banned
233 Posts
The Trevala held up for a 70 lb BFT. The Trevala is a TFS-58H, rated for 65lb braid and 270-325gm jigs. I don't know how well it would do for a bigger tuna, which is part of the reason I am asking. I just don't know enough yet. What rod would you recommend? Thanks.
Not a Trevala for sure , that it held to a 70 lb fish, doesn't mean that it would held to a 150lb fish.
Again , we don't know what are you targeting....so it's hard to give advise.
150 lb-200 lb ?
200 lb- 300lb ?

Do you have a budget ?

·
2,163 Posts
Everybody has their own opinions on their favorite and hated fishing gear. I sometimes use a Trevala TCV-58XXH that I had acid wrapped for jigging Black Fin tuna. The unintended catches of a bunch of +#50 AJ and three triple digit YFT says that it's not a bad rod for the money. I will say that the triple digit YFT's did have the line cut into the foregrip. I had that problem fixed by adding another eye to keep the line up higher and inline with the spool.

Odds are that you can get a good deal on a higher end rod now that it's pretty much the end of the summer fishing season. Keep looking and have a little patience. Nothing worse than pulling the trigger on a rod that's not what you expected and then see something for sale that is.

·
1,809 Posts
I have a Valley Hill that I would sell for $400. I am crying as I type this because I absolutely love those rods but I am slowly getting out of tuna fishing. Not sure it makes sense to put a $200 rod on a $600 reel, this is a more expensive rod but is super light with backbone to handle BIG bluefin...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have a Valley Hill that I would sell for $400. I am crying as I type this because I absolutely love those rods but I am slowly getting out of tuna fishing. Not sure it makes sense to put a $200 rod on a $600 reel, this is a more expensive rod but is super light with backbone to handle BIG bluefin...
which valley hill are you willing to let go?

·
32 Posts
To the OP: I would consider near that price point, the shimano grappler series type J in the 56H or 58XXH depending on the jigs you typically fish. I think they can be had for around $270, a bit above your desired price.
They came out with spiral X construction a couple years ago and my experience has blown my mind. I am in no way affiliated with the company btw.
They are light, very powerful for their size, and I can’t imagine breaking one on a fish, even at extremely high drag pressures and high sticking.
I don’t see anything else at that price point that compares IMO.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.