Jigging Rod for BFT to pair with Okuma Makaira 10000

Discussion in 'Rods and Rod Blanks' started by Professor Tom, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Professor Tom

Professor Tom Member

I read various opinions on jigging rods. It sounds like it comes down to what you fish for, how you fish, where you fish, and what reel you have.

I just ordered an Okuma Makaira 10000, I fish mid-shore off NJ for BFT on my own boat, and I'll be using this rod for jigging 90% of the time. I've been fishing with my buddy's gear so far. He recommends the Trevala 5'8" because that what he uses with his Stella. I'd like to stay with a carbon or fiber/Grahite blended parabolic rod.

What rods or rod specs do you recommend? Thanks.

2. Thewooha

Thewooha Well-Known Member

I don't know how big ( Lb ) are the BFT you target , but a Okuma Makaria 10k on a Trvevala seems way off for BFT .
    Those Trevala's normally called noodles is for a reason.

3. Professor Tom

Professor Tom Member

The Trevala held up for a 70 lb BFT. The Trevala is a TFS-58H, rated for 65lb braid and 270-325gm jigs. I don't know how well it would do for a bigger tuna, which is part of the reason I am asking. I just don't know enough yet. What rod would you recommend? Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  4. Thewooha

Not a Trevala for sure , that it held to a 70 lb fish, doesn't mean that it would held to a 150lb fish.
    Again , we don't know what are you targeting....so it's hard to give advise.
    150 lb-200 lb ?
    200 lb- 300lb ?

Do you have a budget ?

5. Professor Tom

Professor Tom Member

I only go out around 50 miles or so. It would be luck if I caught a 200 pounder, but I'd like a rod to handle a 200 pound tuna. Budget is around $200. Thanks.

6. Thewooha

not much you can get for $200 , maybe something used GL

Professor Tom likes this.
  7. bac0701

bac0701 Member

I've been thinking about the same reel but with a van staal vsJ 325 rod. i wish this size had a higher gear ratio for popping

Eoin and Professor Tom like this.
  8. sharkfishing76

sharkfishing76 Fishing Guru

BH 350 but would be more than 200$

Gonefishings likes this.
  9. Kim

Kim Senior Member

Everybody has their own opinions on their favorite and hated fishing gear. I sometimes use a Trevala TCV-58XXH that I had acid wrapped for jigging Black Fin tuna. The unintended catches of a bunch of +#50 AJ and three triple digit YFT says that it's not a bad rod for the money. I will say that the triple digit YFT's did have the line cut into the foregrip. I had that problem fixed by adding another eye to keep the line up higher and inline with the spool.

Odds are that you can get a good deal on a higher end rod now that it's pretty much the end of the summer fishing season. Keep looking and have a little patience. Nothing worse than pulling the trigger on a rod that's not what you expected and then see something for sale that is.

Thuan Tran likes this.
  10. Brendan

Brendan Well-Known Member

I have a st croix mojo I'd sell.

11. Professor Tom

Professor Tom Member

Thanks all. I wound up with a 5'8" Trevala. Very few options for a new quality pole for around $200.

Gonefishings likes this.
  12. tugasangler

tugasangler Fishing Guru

How much is a makaira ... versus the rod ?

13. Professor Tom

Professor Tom Member

The Makaira was $600 USD from Otto's world.

14. scubaarchery

scubaarchery Senior Member

I have a Valley Hill that I would sell for $400. I am crying as I type this because I absolutely love those rods but I am slowly getting out of tuna fishing. Not sure it makes sense to put a $200 rod on a $600 reel, this is a more expensive rod but is super light with backbone to handle BIG bluefin...

15. sharkfishing76

sharkfishing76 Fishing Guru

You will find bh or Bushido nano heavy or xh for 350$ here best budget rods in market in my opinion workhorse as makaira

Gonefishings likes this.
  16. Lenny DeFelice

Lenny DeFelice Active Member

I fish the same area as you, the trevala will work but we did break a few this year on larger fish, i keep one for people who dont have a setup and we almost always expect it to break.

Professor Tom likes this.
  17. Lenny DeFelice

Lenny DeFelice Active Member

which valley hill are you willing to let go?

18. scubaarchery

scubaarchery Senior Member

I have the Maiori spirit and the Moji Exploder so spinning or casting...

19. PharmDoc

PharmDoc Junior member

To the OP: I would consider near that price point, the shimano grappler series type J in the 56H or 58XXH depending on the jigs you typically fish. I think they can be had for around $270, a bit above your desired price.
    They came out with spiral X construction a couple years ago and my experience has blown my mind. I am in no way affiliated with the company btw.
    They are light, very powerful for their size, and I can’t imagine breaking one on a fish, even at extremely high drag pressures and high sticking.
    I don’t see anything else at that price point that compares IMO.