Jigging reel.

Discussion in 'Jigging and Popping' started by SSFIREMSN, Aug 30, 2009.

1. SSFIREMSN

SSFIREMSN Senior Member

If you could choose at jigging reel (conv) that would hold up to most fish. What reel would it be and how much are we talking? I am trying to decide if I want to try and save for one. I want one that will hold up. :confused: I saw Gman post on the different reels and I want to ask some of you that have used some on the ones he has named which do you like best and why? Thanks Steve

2. d-a

d-a Senior Member

If you could choose at jigging reel (conv) that would hold up to most fish. What reel would it be and how much are we talking? I am trying to decide if I want to try and save for one. I want one that will hold up. :confused: I saw Gman post on the different reels and I want to ask some of you that have used some on the ones he has named which do you like best and why? Thanks Steve

I personally like star drag reels over lever drags for jigging unless targeting fish over 150lbs.

I have an Ocea Jigger 5000 that only comes out when i need to fish 20+lbs of drag, and usually its set at 28-30lbs. They run @ $450 off of ebay. They also pop up in the classifieds here from time to time

d-a

3. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

I really like the smaller Saltigas for lighter duty and Ocea Jiggers for heavier. So...

Saltiga 15 for PE3-4, Saltiga 30T for PE5-6, Ocea Jigger 4000 for PE8, OJ5000 >PE8.

Main reason I guess is that these (other than OJ5000) are star drag and narrow.... The Saltiga 30T is 3/0 but narrow. And while Saltiga 40 gets wider for extra capacity, the OJ4000 is taller 4/0 size but still narrow.

4. Sea Bear

Sea Bear Senior Member

Accurate BX2-600N

5. cabosandinh

cabosandinh Moderator

I just got back from a tuna trip, I brought my
    Alutecnos Gorilla 12, Trinidad 16 and Torsa 16

I have to say I liked the Torsa 16 the best for jigging,
    it is light, fast, and fits well in my left palm. The gear
    on this reel is silky smooth as is the drag. It runs
    $700 retail, you can find them on eBay around $500

6. Enoch

Enoch Senior Member

7. ty2philly

ty2philly Senior Member

For Level Drag the Alutecnos Gorilla 12 or Gorilla 12C is a great choice. I have the Gorilla 12 and like it very much, its strong, smooth, and can produce 40# of drag. I also have the Daiwa Ishidai Z40 star drag reel (33# drag), its basically a beefed up bling-bling version of the Saltiga SA40 reel (22# drag).

If you want two-speed reel then the new Accurate BX2-600N seem like a good option.

Also JiggingMaster has a new reel that inludes double-dogs/docking system in addition to the anti-reverse bearings. I had the chance to check it out when I met Kilsong a couple weekends ago. Its a very nice looking level-drag single speed reel (I am sure I will purchase one).

Enoch has a Shimano Ocea Jigger 4000P reel that is brand new and never used he has up for sale. That is also a very good reel, I love the color and the narrow spool design.

Attached Files:

8. jig

jig Senior Member

I like the accurates for the short throw conversion, light weight and heavy drag. But if they don't get my cam issue fixed, the reel is going to move way down on my list.

9. gorillaluce

gorillaluce Junior member

Attached Files:

10. paul708

paul708 Site Sponsor

the diawa saltiga are nice i use the 30T and 50
    these are good for most fish.
    they hold up well, and have good drag.

11. Capt Richie

Capt Richie Site Sponsor

I had a chance to see a John Baker reel..As soon as I held it I knew it was the reel for me...I just ordered two JB 4 in black & silver..........

12. egluck

egluck Senior Member

Use a Daiwa Saltiga 50 with upgraded washers and jigging master handle. Worked well with decent size blue fin tuna and amberjack. The drawback of this reel is that it is a little wide so you have to help lay the line. Definately not a fan of lever drags.

13. Tunahunter

Tunahunter Guest

which saltiga would be best for jigging midsize Ajs and smaller yellows. Would prefer a narrow , as it is a pain to lay braid on the spool.

14. d-a

d-a Senior Member

which saltiga would be best for jigging midsize Ajs and smaller yellows. Would prefer a narrow , as it is a pain to lay braid on the spool.

The 30t

d-a

15. BretABaker

BretABaker Guest

i lay braid on all my conventionals, its second nature once you get used to it. saltiga 40 is a great size for the fish you will normally see here. you can upgrade the plate and washers if you like but itd be a great reel stock.

ive got the trinidad 40 which i really like as well. trini is 4/0, saltiga is 3/0.

there are so many reels now that are very good, its tough to recommend a 'one size fits all' reel