Jigging reel Stella 8000pg

Discussion in 'Reels' started by jiggawhat, Feb 22, 2009.

1. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

Anyone have any experience with the new Stella 8000pg?Does it come with extra spool?Decent jigging reel for fish under a 100lb?What line?I got the greenlight for the old lady.Just need some thoughts

2. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

will be a good reel. doesnt come with extra spool. light and small will work fine for what your targeting

3. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

what line pe5 -6? how much?

4. kidflex

kidflex Senior Member

not exactly sure. the fa 8000 size will hold about 260-275 meters of pe-5.

5. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

You can get a Stella 10kSW spool for it. Shimano USA says the 10kSW spool will fit the 8kSWPG, but with the added cost ($285 + S&H), you could just as well get a JDM 10kSWPG (No warranty in US though). If you don't already have a Stella 20kSW, you should consider getting that for jigging instead.

6. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

i dont have a 20k because we dont get into any tuna or aj like in NC.So i dont think 20k is necessary.I will be fishing in miami in august(never been)will 8000 do the job or will it be too deep there?

7. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Never fished in Miami, so I can't comment there. I would say the 8kSWPG can take anything that you're probably targeting on jigs, the only drawback is the line capacity on that spool. IMO, I would rather get the 20k for jigging even if I am not targeting bigger fish because it's nice to know you have the line capacity to handle them if you ever try for it, but that's just me. After all, you never truly know what you might actually hook up on right? :p

8. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Not sure about typical drops around Miami either... But can't imagine 8000 with good quality** PE4-5 wouldn't be fine. For GOM, the 8000 is pretty darn close to perfect reel! Just load with PE4-5 line and catch 'em up!

** Keep in mind that PE line tensile ratings vary directly with cost. You can always get something like 64lb Varivas Max Power PE4. It just costs a little more... ;)

I have 20K/600g setup that I really like. It's nice to have for heavy/deep dropping and hunting big fish, and if I was on an over-nighter with one rod, that would be it... But it really is overkill for most day trips and most fishing I do.

An 8000 on a 400g rod would be the ticket for 90% of my fishies! :D

Jason

9. DanS

DanS Senior Member

What does the "pg" stand for?

10. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

Thats what i want to match it with the 400g oti.I figure it will do for all the fishing i do.I think daiwa boat braid would be a good match.

11. Jason4606

Jason4606 Tuna Club member

Power Gear, 4.9:1. (Other is 5.6:1)

12. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

What does the "pg" stand for?

I would assume PG = Power Gear, as the Stellas with the PG designation are are lower geared reels.

13. anglerinshore

anglerinshore Member

I have the same question on the 8k. Would the Diawa pe4 (55lb.) be good for fishing the GOM? I am thinking of getting one and figured i could get more line capacity with the pe4 rather than the pe6 and that the pe4 would be strong enough. I would think most AJ's will be between 25-60lbs or at least that's what we usually catch. Or would you guys recommend another brand? I can't afford some of the higher end lines and figured the Diawa or maybe the tuff line would be a good choice.

14. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I think that would be sufficient for GOM fishing. I am using PE-5/PE-6 from Varivas Avani on my 8kSWPG, it's only marginally more expensive than the Daiwa IMO.

15. anglerinshore

anglerinshore Member

Lordhell, Which Varivas Avani are you using? I looked on APS and there are like 6 different choices.

16. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

17. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

How many yards did you get on there?

18. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

I got about 260 or so yards of the PE-5 Avani 10x10 line on my 8kSWPG.

19. jiggawhat

jiggawhat Senior Member

Man that guy sold out i guess ill have to spend more to get one. That line looks good and reel should hold enough to whoop up on some good size fish.

20. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

Man that guy sold out i guess ill have to spend more to get one. That line looks good and reel should hold enough to whoop up on some good size fish.

APS has 300m spools still available for PE5 and PE6.