360 Tuna Fishers Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
615 Posts
I got a bid for having some custom made handles from a machine shop. What if I don't like them? I need about 10 handles. Custom turned handles to your specs run about 215.00 each.

You big tightwad. :D Just do it. You won't be happy unless it's done right. Just have a machine shop mill you some rounds knobs out of 2 1/2" solid round aluminum stock. Make them about 1" thick with a bullnose outside edge. Then tap in a 3/8" SS shaft. If you want them lighter, drill some holes in them. I'll even help you make them. Give me a call. I could use some myself. My paws are almost the same size.

That's what you get for being built like a whiskey barrel with bear paws.
Hell, you break everything you touch. I've never seen a guy that can destroy a standard item so fast. If theres a latch on a boat, he'll break it. If he can't open the door, he'll twist the door knob until it breaks. He's broken three on my kitchen sink faucets. When he turns off the water he closes the knob so tight that it breaks the seals. You're just a walking wrecking ball.:D

You call me "Rodbuster"!!!!! What a joke. You've snapped more rods than me.
The only reason you don't own more spinning reels is because you always break the reel shaft at the reel seats. Don't ever let Mrbill tighten down your reels with those composite reel seats. He'll strip them every time. The rod is worthless after he breaks the threaded seats. It's fun giving a buddy a hard time.:D

· Registered
615 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has ever seen any studies or reports about the whole "reeling" cycle? Seems like you push, and then you pull, but in a circle. I wonder if any sports doctors have studied fishing?

Tom - DBG

I'm certainly not a sport doctor but I've complained about handles and comfort for years. Every time I've gone to a fishing show, I'll tell the Rep's to concentrate on handle design instead of aesthetics and pushing out new models.

Everybody is different in size and fishing style. Long arms, short arms, big hands, little hands, skinny, fat, short, tall.....etc. The relation of the reel to the body is very important. Example: Your jigging with a conventional reel. Your rod is under your left arm pit. Your left hand is going up and down. It's comfortable because your are using your left forearm and bicep. Your right cranking hand is way over to the left side and has almost no cranking power except to crank your jig. Your forearm is doing most of the work. If you hook up with a fish this way and don't move the rod to a gimbal belt or to your right side, a Tiagra style handle is worthless. Keeping the rod under your left arm pit while fighting a fish is stupid (if your right handed) but I see people doing it. A ball style handle is best for this awkward style.

Move the rod to under your right arm pit, and you have incredible cranking power with your right arm. You are using your forearm, bicep and shoulder muscles. One problem is it's awkward to raise and lower the rod with your left hand. Using your armpit for leverage is not a bad idea as long as the rod feels good parked there. Your left bicep and forearm gets a workout while holding onto the rods upper grip.

On bigger reels (50-80's) you have more cranking power the farther away the reel is from your body. I've seen people with the reel right next to their chest trying to crank. This doesn't work. It also is a sure way of high sticking and busting a rod. Once again the angle of hand, arm and reel is constantly changing as you pump up a fish. Using a harness with the reel lugs keeps the distance constant as long as you use your legs. This is the best method for stand up style fishing.

There is no perfect handle, but I suggest getting the one that feels best in a fighting position with extra heavy drag settings.

· Registered
615 Posts
Looks like Shrek has been playing on the lathe. :D

Looking at the pictures has given me a great idea. I'll fax you a CAD drawing this week. This could get interesting. Don't sell the left over 3" round billet.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.