Jigging Reel For Sea Magic 5'8" 400 grm

Discussion in 'Reels' started by ibaneha, Jan 20, 2009.

1. ibaneha

ibaneha Junior member

I just got a conventional 5'8" dragonfly sea magic 400 grm jigging rod. Now I want to buy a good jigging reel. I want to have something light, powerful and good quality. After doing some research I'm still debating from torque 300 (star drag), tn-30, tn-40n. I would like to have the option of getting the max drag possible in these reel sizes. Please fill free to recommend other brand names as well.

2. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

The torque 200 is plenty for that rod. The drag is smooth...

3. ibaneha

ibaneha Junior member

Thanks fathom. My target species is AJ av 35lbs, tuna av 60lbs, cubera av 25 lbs. With what braid should I load this reel with and topshot?

4. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

I second the Torque, I would put 65# Jerry Brown solid or Tuf-Line XP. Both top of the line Braids.

5. lite-liner

lite-liner troll enforcement Staff Member

6. hstsw

hstsw Senior Member

Accurate 870 or 665, TN40N, Daiwa Saltiga 40, Avet LX/JX
    50# or 65# braid

7. fathom

fathom Lifetime Supporting Members

Thanks fathom. My target species is AJ av 35lbs, tuna av 60lbs, cubera av 25 lbs. With what braid should I load this reel with and topshot?

65 lb. braid. tuff line with pr knot to 20' 80lb. floro. You could go down a line size for the size fish you target but the extra abrasion resistance will save you in the long run.

torque 200 reel with 65 lb. braid and 80lb. flouro leader with O.T.I. jigging rod made short work of this a.j.

Attached Files:

8. ibaneha

ibaneha Junior member

Thanks for the responses. Should I buy Tuf line xp or plus??

9. spineyman

spineyman Senior Member

Thanks for the responses. Should I buy Tuf line xp or plus??
    Tuf-Line XP

10. Fishinmofo

Fishinmofo Junior member

Don't overlook the Torsa, the 16, 20 or 30 would work just fine on that rod. I jig with a Trevala 5'8" XXH, torsa 30 spooled 80 lb Power Pro. It's a light weight rig with tons of power.

11. lordhell

lordhell Moderator

The Torsa is a heavy reel for full time jigging IMO. Torsa's are more suited for trolling or live bait/chunking purposes. I would go with a Trinidad TN40N or Saltiga SA-40/SA-50 for lightweight option.

12. MrBill

MrBill Senior Member

I like the torsa for jigging. I own a lot of jigging type conventional reels and it's still my favorite conventional jigging reel. They are also very reliable. Not a single problem in three years.

13. hstsw

hstsw Senior Member

I like the torsa for jigging. I own a lot of jigging type conventional reels and it's still my favorite conventional jigging reel. They are also very reliable. Not a single problem in three years.

The Torsa reel costs 3x the cost of SeaMagic Dragonfly rod - if money is no object, should be a good reel with high gear ration (except Torsa 40)

14. Fishinmofo

Fishinmofo Junior member

I'm not sure what Torsa is being referenced to for trolling due to the weight?? I jig primarily with my 30 on all the long range trips I do. The Torsa 30 weighs in 31.1 Oz; the Trinidad 40 weighs 29.3Oz. The Torsa also provides drag capabilities excelling the Trinidads best. With the money invested in a Sea magic, the Diawa (Saltiga) would work great...like putting a V-6 in a Lamborghini.

15. ibaneha

ibaneha Junior member

Thanks guys for all the responses. I just bought the trq 200. I will try it if not I'll make my second setup with another reel.

16. Fishinmofo

Fishinmofo Junior member

You can't go wrong with Fathom's recommendation, the Torque is a great reel.

17. califisherman

califisherman Junior member

I agree the Torsa reels are awsome if your looking for max Drag.Trevala 5'8" xxh f sieries or OTI 5'6" 600grm. 60/80 are hard to beat!Got them both and love them 80lb. 18dia. Power Pro. That's the way to go! Get them in Green!Put the heat on them!